Nutrition Plan Update

December 14, 2011 · 35 comments

Time to answer all of your many questions and update you a tad on my nutrition plan.

Actually, I didn’t really eat it.

I gave it to Jim.

We headed to a(n awesome!) holiday party on Friday night — complete with a dance floor, live band, valets, open bar, and endless unhealthy treats. I turned to Jim when we walked in and simply said, “Oh, it’s on.”

I told him to keep me away from the treats.

He failed.

That’s actually a lie. I had about 2 bite-sized crab cakes at the party. And that’s all.

I call that success.

Yes, I’m following the plan. However, I am allowed to cheat — like I said, when I don’t allow myself any wiggle room, I typically set myself up for failure later. So, two baby crab cakes it is. Jus’alilbit.

Your Nutrition Plan Questions Answered

Q1: Have you listed your personal goals/hopes with this nutrition plan?

A1: Jim took my measurements on my first day of the plan. We took my weight, waist, hips, abdomen, body fat, and BMI. Although we knew it’d be interesting to see how easy it would be to attain a certain goal over the holidays, we set a goal of losing 6.2 pounds (that extra .2 is because my starting weight had that tacked on the end), 1/2 inch off my waist, 1 inch off my hips, 1 inch off my abdomen, and 3.7% body fat.

As for an update… I have one week to go, and so far, I’ve lost 5 pounds.

Q2. What is the difference between almond butter and peanut butter?

A2: SO many people asked this question. Although peanut butter is a good source of protein, it can be filled with hydrogenated oils and sugar. Almond butter contains no added ingredients or preservatives and is literally crushed up almonds. AB is a good source of protein, is packed with omega 3s and monounsaturated fats (good for the heart), and helps to control blood sugar. Also, almond butter is the only nut known to be alkaline, which is good for metabolism. All other nuts fall into the acidic category.

If you can’t make yourself like almond butter (it took me a few tries, but now I like the MaraNatha Crunchy), go for completely natural peanut butter.

Q3: “I CAN’T FIND ALMOND BUTTER ANYWHERE HAAALLPPPPMEEEE”

A3: If it’s not with the peanut butter (that’s where it is in Walmart), check the organic section of your grocery store.

Q4: How good are VitaTops?

A4: THEY. ARE. AWESOME. I like mine heated in the microwave with a touch of cottage cheese on top. If you like them as much as I do, you can order them online for a sweet deal.

Q5: Are you sure you’re eating enough to support your training?

A5: Since I’m not actually in training yet for my next race (the Shamrock Half Marathon in March… Round 2), I’m actually not doing all that much compared to when I was training for the marathon. Jim was my running buddy for the marathon, so he knows how I run, and he knows my weightlifting regime/what fitness classes I take. I’m confident he’s got me covered. Plus, I’m eating a lot more than I used to because this plan calls for so many small meals throughout the day. I find myself forcing myself to eat my morning snack.

Q6: I want a plan from Jim. Hook me up.

A6: Shoot me an e-mail and I’ll get you in contact with Jim.

Q7: Why no fruit juice?

A7: Fruit juice is really high in sugars. It’s the fruit without the fiber. My plan has me eating fruit with almost every small meal, so I’ve got the fruit down there. I’m told to stick with Powerade 0 and water for drinks. I also go for almond milk in the morning.

Q8: Almond milk is gross. Why did you switch?

A8: Silk (what I was drinking before… for the taste) isn’t awesome for hormones in girls my age.

Q9: Is alcohol allowed?

A9: Have you met me?

I’m kidding. I joke a lot on here about how you “can’t take away my booze.” However, that’s a gross exaggeration. I almost never drink during the week, unless there’s a special occasion. I drink a normal amount with my friends on the weekends. I don’t choose to cut it out of my diet because, well, I’m at a point in my life right now where I don’t need to cut it out. At some point down the road, I won’t be able to go out drinking with my friends, and that’s not now. So I’m keepin’ the booze and sticking with the lower-calorie choices (vodka diet, SF redbull vodka, etc.). If losing weight was my #1 priority, I would cut out the booze. As of now, it’s not.

Q10: When are you measuring your results?

A10: Jim and I will measure my progress a week from today – December 21.

Theere you have it. If I missed anything, feel free to shoot me summore Qs.

1 nicole marie December 14, 2011 at 4:30 pm

gin was made for lunches, lauren bacall, and moi! πŸ˜‰
i wrote about its role in my diet in achieving a balanced ‘life after bulimia.’
you might find my article interesting given your love for parties and fitness! πŸ™‚
here is the link:
nicole marie recently posted..the exbulimic β€˜salmon sandwich’ design!My Profile

2 Emily December 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I’m curious, why do you feel the need to lose weight?
Emily recently posted..I wondered…My Profile

3 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts December 14, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I looove your dress πŸ™‚ Where did you get it from?@!
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Epic Dinner FailMy Profile

4 sarah wynn December 14, 2011 at 5:04 pm

you and jim are quite the number – to heck with that ex bf!! πŸ™‚

5 Hollie@lolzthatswim December 14, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Wow this is highly fascinating. I am glad everything is working in your favor. Jim seems like he really knows whats up. πŸ™‚
Hollie@lolzthatswim recently posted..Injury Chat and 73 MilesMy Profile

6 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run December 14, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Vitatops with cottage cheese on top. Those words will haunt my dreams. πŸ™‚

I do like Vitatops (double chocolate) with PB on top. That’s good. Or microwaved with a scoop of ice cream. Yum! Cottage cheese and VTs sounds like it would cause a lot of gas in my world. πŸ˜‰
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Worst Concert Ever #LMFAO #XL1067My Profile

7 julie December 14, 2011 at 6:06 pm

i’m REALLY hoping that you and jim will eventually decide you need to be together.
julie recently posted..baked protein oatmealMy Profile

8 Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) December 14, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Amen sista friend! If you are at a point in life when all your friends want to go out- DO IT. Soon enough they’ll all be married with kids (ugh- boring old people!! ;)) If I come visit, can I pretend I’m still in that stage of life?! I promise, I’m a lot of fun when I get to let loooooooooooooose!
Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..WIAW: Accidental VeggieMy Profile

9 Allison @ PickyEatingRD December 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Another benefit of almond butter vs. peanut butter is it is higher in iron, calcium, and vitamin E! Peanuts are actually one of the least nutritious nuts (though they aren’t technically even a nut at all!) I do have to add though, not all pb is filled with hydrogenated oils + sugar. You can get just the peanut ground up with out all the yucky stuff! Ok I’m done being annoying dietitian tell me to shut up already!!! PS – love love love that dress!!

10 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com December 14, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Girl you are amazing and those pics and captions made my morning. HILARIOUS! Glad you had the crab cake. Now I am craving Almond Butter:) Keep up the awesome work, you are amazing!
janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..My Favorite Hobby:My Profile

11 Amber K December 14, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I’ll be sticking to my natural peanut butter, but those are some awesome results! Way to go for making a plan and sticking to it πŸ™‚
Amber K recently posted..Sneaky Christmas MouseMy Profile

12 Bethany I. December 14, 2011 at 7:31 pm

That’s some awesome results thus far!
I definitely agree about the soy milk which I do have from time to time, but I limit my intake. I love Silk Almond milk or Silk coconut milk. The coconut milk is the best for coffee, teas, and especially smoothies.

13 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers December 14, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Wow! I’m so impressed with your progress. I can drop water-weight in an instant by just upping my protein and reducing some sugars, but any more than 3 pounds and I’m stuck. It’s hard for us fit ladies to lose when we already have decent diets and training programs. Good 4 You!
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..WIAW on TMy Profile

14 Katherine @ Neon Blonde Runner December 14, 2011 at 8:24 pm

After my marathon training this year, I was actually down about 3 or so pounds, so I’m just trying to eat normal stuff now, not trying to either really gain or lose weight.
But congrats on getting closer to your pre-marathon training weight!! You look fabulous!!
Katherine @ Neon Blonde Runner recently posted..Let Me Drown You in Rehoboth Marathon Race Photos!My Profile

15 kaitlin @4loveofcarrots December 14, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I need someone like Jim in my life! It sounds like ur doing excellent on your nutritious plan! And now I need to go get almond butter b.c. the amounts of p.b. I consume in a week isn’t looking so good!
kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted..Vegan Peanut butter, oatmeal and banana cookiesMy Profile

16 Joey December 15, 2011 at 1:53 am

1) I wish someone would plan out my meals for me
2) I’m not sure if I’ve ever commented before but I love reading your blog every day… You are so cute & funny! πŸ™‚
3)Are you & Jim dating??? You two make a hot couple! πŸ˜‰

17 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy December 15, 2011 at 4:11 am

Can I ask, is there a reason you’re trying to lose 6.2 pounds? You already seem thin and fit to me!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Hydrating Doesn’t Have to be HardMy Profile

18 Sheena December 15, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Your nutrition plan sounds awesome, what are your daily workouts like? Curious to know! πŸ™‚