My Style

December 12, 2011 · 26 comments

By reader request, I’m finally talking about my wardrobe. I’ve been asked where I snag the best deals, what pieces I love, and which stores I could live in for the rest of my life.

Well.

I’ve never considered myself an utter fashionista. Until recently, I was always too cheap to buy the clothes I really wanted. Fortunately for my closet and unfortunately for my bank account, I’ve gotten over that little issue. I don’t hesitate to drop some cash on something I’m really drooling over.

And don’t you judge me when almost every example picture of my wardrobe has alcohol in it. For some reason, I just seem to love whipping out my camera to capture those kinda moments.

For my wardrobe, I follow the “few simple staples” rule. I have one (ooorrr several) of the following to complete my more embellished pieces:

• blazer, 3/4 sleeve (Forever 21, a million years ago)

• blazer, long sleeve (Lulu*s)

• tanks and camis (American Eagle; various)
  • belts, fat and skinny (various)
  • one “keep on” silver ring (Bijuju ~5 years go)

A few “pop” items:

• sparkle tops (duh… I have no shame – Express)

And for the rest, I typically frequent:

• Express – If I could wear Express every day of my life, I’d be a happy girl.
  • Lulu*s – I’m a sucker for an adorable dress. I get a ton of mine from here.
  • Victoria’s Secret – hello, swimsuits!
  • H&M
  • NY & Co.
  • J. Crew
  • Lululemon & Target – work out clothes
  • The Limited – work clothes

I also never really carry a purse (I’m a disaster and overpack the thing). I carry the Coach wristlet with my keys attached. So easy!

At the moment…

I’m loving my:

I’m coveting:

If anyone wants to send me anything from that last list, I’d be happy to make you my new best friend.

If you could only buy from one clothing shop for the rest of time, which store would you choose? And what are you coveting right now?

1 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe December 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Hm, one clothing shop for the rest of time? I love Express too – but recently I’m obsessed with CAbi clothing, which you have to order either through a home party or a catalog. Their jeans never cease to make my butt look fab. haha!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..and FIIIINDING a Christmas tree!My Profile

2 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts December 12, 2011 at 2:04 pm

That Chiffon skirt is way cute 🙂 I just recently walked into express and found one million sparkly tanks I want to own… oy.. I wish I was rich!
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Bendiful Watch Giveaway!My Profile

3 chelcie @ chelcie's food files December 12, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I am all about the infinity scarfs and colored jeans! I also live in leggings and lulu wunder unders!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Sunday SauceMy Profile

4 Melissa December 12, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Oh Express is my danger zone. It was my first credit card ever and to this day 90% of my clothes still come from that store. I usually only go in for pants (it’s the only store which truly understands what SHORT means) and then walk out with way too many other additional things. And as I type this another coupon hit my inbox. AHHH!
Melissa recently posted..Jingle Bell 5k Race RecapMy Profile

5 Heather December 12, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I could easily shop at the Gap for the rest of my life. I love that stuff I bought there 10 years ago is still able to be worn without looking ridiculously outdated. And I hope to be one of those hip 70 year olds rocking Gap jeans, a classic t, and cardigans every day of my life come 2053. [ok. THAT is a scary number. 2053?!?!?!]
Heather recently posted..Meet HerMy Profile

6 Katie December 12, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Love your style! I could live in a closet of just Express and be perfectly happy. I used to work there in college and I’m pretty sure every penny of my paycheck went right back into the store. Happy wardrobe, not happy bank account!

I’m going to have to check out Lulu*s!
Katie recently posted..You’re never the only one!My Profile

7 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy December 12, 2011 at 3:07 pm

even though I can’t afford it, I am an Anthro-addict. But I do get a lot of cute stuff from Tarjay on the reg, I have to say.
Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy recently posted..Mexican Lasagna Take 2My Profile

8 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com December 12, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I loved every second of this post, it made my morning. I have always wondered where you got your clothes. PS blazers and my leather jacket are my absolute favorite too!
janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..I lost $50.My Profile

9 Catherine December 12, 2011 at 4:17 pm

ugh sometimes i walk into express/forever21/basicallyanystore and wish all the beautiful clothes were just..you know…free…

or that i was a really good klepto (jus kiddin…sorta…ok no i am totally joking)

but not really…

10 Jenn @ Peas and Crayons December 12, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Love it! =) I’ve been wanting an express sparkle top for-ev-er but they keep making so many different ones I can’t choose! ack! Whenever I look through my photos they’re either of me with a drink or me at my wedding. everything in between i forget or don’t feel like photographing, so I hear ya! =)
Jenn @ Peas and Crayons recently posted..Think Outside the Box… and INSIDE the Cookie Cutter!My Profile

11 Mischa December 12, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I like these kinds of posts! How about a makeup routine next?

12 Celia December 12, 2011 at 5:21 pm

One store? That is hard. I could live basically in lululemon stuff. I am not sure my work place would think it is “business causal” though. Although I have learned how to sneak some pieces into what I wear to work. More realistically I guess I should pick Bloomingdales bc they have everything and I wish I could own so many things they have, but usually I am too cheap to buy THAT much from there. I’d rather spend $30 on a dress at Forever 21 than $300…
Celia recently posted..what is causing races to sell out so fast?My Profile

13 Amber K December 12, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Definitely hard to think of just one store. Although, it’d have to be one I can afford so probably Target or Old Navy. Not the cutest stuff, but definitely in my price range!
Amber K recently posted..Holiday DisastersMy Profile

14 Claire @ let's go on a living spree December 12, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Higher End: Shopbop. Amazing and It started in Madison, WI (I went to UW-Madison). Lower End: H&M or JCrew 🙂
Claire @ let’s go on a living spree recently posted..Powhatan Christmas Tree 10K Trail Run RecapMy Profile

15 Hollie@lolzthatswim December 12, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I love your style. Can you please be my sylist? I follow the I’m going to wear leggings for my whole life style. Does that count?
Hollie@lolzthatswim recently posted..A Chocolaty and Nutella type of MorningMy Profile

16 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry December 12, 2011 at 6:35 pm

girrrl, I like your style. Also, I LOVE that peacock dress!!! I can totally see that on you.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Your Sweater is UglyMy Profile

17 Heather @ Run Eat Play December 13, 2011 at 12:03 am

Love all your clothes – I asked for an Express infinity scarf for Christmas.
I could live in Victorias Secrets boyfriend sweatpants for the rest of my life – seriously. I think I own them in every color – so comfy!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Cookie Swap – Chocolate Peanut Butter CookiesMy Profile

18 Emily December 13, 2011 at 1:52 am

I just bought an infinity scarf from Banana Republic that I’ve hardly taken off in 4 days. I’m obsessed!
I love your style! You are adorable.
I lovelovelove Express, Banana Republic, Anthropologie, and Urban Outfitters (for jewelry and funkier pieces). And my favorite jeans are Joes, 7 For All Mankind, and Lucky. I have such a hard time finding jeans that fit me right, I allow myself to splurge in that area. 🙂
Emily recently posted..This or That?My Profile

19 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List December 13, 2011 at 3:11 am

Banana Republic..hands down!
Unfortunately, I can’t afford anything in there…so we usually just breeze through and admire.
Lindsay @ Lindsay’s List recently posted..cookie snookieMy Profile

20 Amanda December 15, 2011 at 9:21 am

Your blazers look goooooorrgeous. I have been eyeing up a black one for awhile, which can do double duty at work and at play. Ooooh and sparkles, but not sure I’m brave enough to pull it off. Maybs I should just grow a pair and try it…