A Special Man

December 8, 2011 · 64 comments

Happy birthday to the most important man in my life.

The guy who built power plants all over the world, raised two kids alone for 11 years, designed his house, and beat prostate cancer this year.

The guy who taught me everything I know about travel, math, boating, electricity, and “handy” skills.

The man who taught me to not be afraid of anything.

…Even when there’s an evacuation for a severe hurricane and he lives in a waterfront house. “Gotta makes sure the boat’s okay.”

…And Skyped with his daughters to show them “how cool” the storm looked. In his “Hurricane Bob” rain coat.

The guy who will follow me in the car for a 13 mile training run in the rain to make sure I’m okay.

The guy who I can convince to drink spinach smoothies.

The guy who is the best trainer my dog has (besides Stacy, her awesome breeder/trainer!)

(remember this?) πŸ™‚

The guy who loves my friends as much as he loves me (maybe more).

The guy who is always trying to fatten me up.

The guy who cheers the loudest from the sideline whether I’m playing OR coaching field hockey, performing onstage, or running a marathon.

(remember that?)

The guy who loves fro-yo as much as I do… and will go three nights in a row with me.

The guy who has taught me it’s completely unnecessary to be anybody but myself.

Happy big 65, Daddy-0! I love you to pieces and politely request we Skype as you open your birthday gifts.

Love, your babygirl.

1 Lauren December 8, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Sounds so similar to my relationship with my dad…nothing like being a daddy’s girl!! πŸ™‚ This made me smile!! I hope he has a wonderful day!

2 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 8, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Such a precious post! Your dad looks SO much younger than 65! His shirt he wore for your marathon is adorable as well. Happy birthday to him.

3 Heather December 8, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I love your love and relationship for your family and how much you share with us readers! [I may have even gotten teary eyed reading this post! ha!] Happy birthday to your AWESOME father!! xo
Heather recently posted..Oh, Mr. Clause!My Profile

4 Jenn's Adventures December 8, 2011 at 4:16 pm

This post literally made me shed some tears — your Dad is a very strong man and has helped raise a phenomenal daughter. I am super close to my parents, too, and the awesome relationship is something to be so thankful for — not everyone shares such a mature and unique friendship with their parents & I love that you showcased this post for your Dad:)

Hāu’oli Lā Hanau ~ Happy Birthday to your Daddy-o!!

5 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! December 8, 2011 at 4:19 pm

This post made me love your dad!! he seems like a truly awesome guy!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Creamy Pesto & GoalsMy Profile

6 Danielle December 8, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Happy Birthday Mr. Blyss! He seems like such a strong, aweome, lucky guy!
Danielle recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

7 alyssa December 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Aren’t dads just the best? Yours seems like a superhero. I just celebrated my dad’s 50th this weekend! We are lucky to have such strong men in our life. πŸ™‚

Now we just have to find strong men of our own… πŸ˜‰

8 Josie @ happycorredora.com December 8, 2011 at 4:29 pm

That’s a lovely post. Happy Birthday to your Dad!

Its actually pretty cool I notice on a lot of blogs girls and their dads share passion for fitness. I know I got my love of running from my dad πŸ™‚

9 Jackie @ That Deep Breath December 8, 2011 at 4:30 pm

This is so sweet! Happy birthday to your dad!
Jackie @ That Deep Breath recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #21My Profile

10 Jamie @ getalivingsense December 8, 2011 at 4:31 pm

This is so cute, and your dad looks like such a fun guy! Happy birthday to him! πŸ™‚
Jamie @ getalivingsense recently posted..Puppy Play TimeMy Profile

11 Ericka @ The Sweet Life December 8, 2011 at 4:31 pm

What a great post…loved that. Reminded me of my Dad and now I want to call him!
Ericka @ The Sweet Life recently posted..Healthy Squash & Zucchini Parmesan PastaMy Profile

12 Klopp December 8, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I love that daddy fist-pump.

QUEENS FO LIFE

Happy B-Day Papa H!

13 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers December 8, 2011 at 4:35 pm

this is so great! i feel honored to have received a comment from this amazing man on my blog. πŸ™‚ happy birthday to daddy LOB! πŸ™‚ i love your relationship. so moving!
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..Cardio Circuit WorkoutMy Profile

14 Dana December 8, 2011 at 4:36 pm

First comment! I lost my dad a while back and teared up reading about how wonderful yours is. You’re so blessed, and it’s great that you know how lucky you are!

15 Maura K December 8, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Such a lovely post! It almost made me tear up because I have a similar relationship with my dad. Happy Birthday to yours!!

16 Danielle December 8, 2011 at 4:46 pm

What a sweet post. Sounds like you have the best Dad ever! : )

17 Nikki December 8, 2011 at 4:47 pm

This is amazing! Happy birthday to your Daddy! It sure seems as though you have a lot to be thankful for with him! He seems extraordinary! πŸ™‚
Nikki recently posted..WIAW Compilation EditionMy Profile

18 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry December 8, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Awwww, your dad is awesome! Happy Birthday to him, I will fist pump in his honour!
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..The FenceMy Profile

19 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe December 8, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Awwww this post made me tear up just reading it! Happy birthday to your daddy-o!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..2012 Race Schedule!My Profile

20 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run December 8, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I heart this. <3 <3

21 Laura December 8, 2011 at 5:23 pm

wow. this made me uber homesick. so sweet!

22 Emily December 8, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Aw this is so sweet!!! But your dad does NOT look 65!! Happy birthday to your dad!

23 Katherine @ Neon Blonde Runner December 8, 2011 at 5:35 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your dad!
This is an amazing post. It literally made a tear creep into my eye because it truly conveyed how strong your relationship with your dad is! You are so lucky to have such a wonderful dad.
Katherine @ Neon Blonde Runner recently posted..Is Your Garmin More Than ONE Year Old?My Profile

24 Colleen December 8, 2011 at 6:19 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your daddy! The picture of him in his raincoat is my favorite πŸ™‚

25 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy December 8, 2011 at 6:22 pm

so sweet <3 Happy bday Alyssa's dad!
(PS- your dad is kind of hot. Just sayin'.)
Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy recently posted..Oatmeal Everything CookiesMy Profile

26 Tara December 8, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Aww, you just made me cry!! My dad passed away when I was 18, so I envy your relationship with your Dad!
How wonderful it is that he is such a part of your life, friends, accomplishments!
happy Bday to your dad!
And he certainly could pass for 50! 65,what?!?!!

27 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 8, 2011 at 6:24 pm

So sweet – I love this! Happy Birthday to your dad!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Listening To My BodyMy Profile

28 Dad December 8, 2011 at 6:29 pm

No, Alyssa did not get her running genes from me – I HATE running and will do almost anything but that. Thanks for the compliments from all you hotties on not looking 65, but I definitely have a 65 year old “haircut”.

Alyssa’s Dad

29 Amber K December 8, 2011 at 6:47 pm

This is so sweet. I wish I had a good relationship with my dad like that. πŸ™‚
Amber K recently posted..Sampling Classes and CandyMy Profile

30 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 8, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Aweeee! Daddies are the best. They just have so much WOVE.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Chobani Girl fo Lyfe.My Profile

31 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers December 8, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Too cute! Gotta <3 being a daddy's girl. πŸ™‚
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Things I Think I LikeMy Profile

32 nicole marie December 8, 2011 at 7:11 pm

this is the most adorable ever salute to one’s father.
happy birthday, indeed, to your fabulous daddy-O! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ x
nicole marie recently posted..the exbulimic turkey sandwich, featuring a very special ketchup spin-off!My Profile

33 Marissa December 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Aww you and your daddy look adorable πŸ™‚ Idk about you but I’m totally a daddy’s girl – wishing him the best birthday!
Marissa recently posted..A Rainy WIAWMy Profile

34 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts December 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm

That was very sweet Alyssa :).. It makes me so happy that you treasure your relationship with your dad as much as you do. πŸ™‚ Makes me miss my dad even more πŸ™

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR POPS πŸ™‚

35 katie December 8, 2011 at 9:04 pm

How about how cool, its my dads birthday today too! Great men born on this day!

Happy Birthday to your amazing dad!!!
katie recently posted..Hungry YogiMy Profile

36 Coco December 8, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Hurray for awesome dads!!!! Happy Birthday!!
Coco recently posted..Crack the whipMy Profile

37 Heather @ Run Eat Play December 8, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Such a sweet post! Happy birthday to your dad! I hope he has a great day!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Two Left FeetMy Profile

38 Alexa @ Simple Eats December 8, 2011 at 9:50 pm

This made me tear up πŸ™‚ SO sweet. Happy birthday daddy-o!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Getting In The SpiritMy Profile

39 Katie December 8, 2011 at 9:53 pm

One of my favorite posts! Made me tear up πŸ™‚ So sweet

40 gwen December 8, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I saw your dad at MCM! He rules!!!!! Happy birthday Alyssa’s daddy πŸ™‚
gwen recently posted..Christmasy Weekend and the Most Random Thing That’s Ever Happened On a RunMy Profile

41 Bethany December 9, 2011 at 1:18 am

LOVED this post! Dad’s are so special πŸ™‚

42 Bess @ Bess Be Fit December 9, 2011 at 1:30 am

What a touching post!! My dad is also my black lab’s best trainer πŸ˜‰ Dad’s rule. Happy Birthday to your poppa!
Bess @ Bess Be Fit recently posted..Strawberry Pancakes for DinnerMy Profile

43 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie December 9, 2011 at 1:51 am

very sweet πŸ™‚ i can see how much he loves you through these pictures!
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..DIY GiftsMy Profile

44 Tiffany @ Snack Snark Bark December 9, 2011 at 3:14 am

Love this post. Hope your pops had a great birthday!!
Tiffany @ Snack Snark Bark recently posted..A good startMy Profile

45 Emily December 9, 2011 at 5:36 am

How funny- my daddy turns 65 on Saturday!
And it sounds like your relationship is SO similar to ours. My dad is my best friend and biggest inspiration. Reading this post literally left me teary-eyed. I loved every single word and picture- your dad sounds like one amazing man!
Emily recently posted..Versatility: The Key to Success?My Profile

46 Kate December 9, 2011 at 11:36 am

Awww Bob is a special man.. happy birthday to him – from “Cake”! πŸ™‚

I love the old-school pumpkin picture… I wonder if that was back before you were nicknamed Aly πŸ™‚

And also – is the crab picture in your parent’s new home? It looks gorg in there.

47 Rachel @ On The Bright Side December 9, 2011 at 1:44 pm

It’s only 7:40 AM and this is the second post I have read that’s brought tears to my eyes. (Happy tears) There is just something about a father/daughter relationship that gets my emotions going. On a lighter note, I really appreciate his shirt: My daughter is busting hers to save mine. Ha!!
Rachel @ On The Bright Side recently posted..Day 1 of 12 Days of Cookies:Peanut Butter & Pumpkin Dog CookiesMy Profile

48 Crystal Coppel @cuppycakefreak December 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Happy Birthday LOB Dad!!! You have raised a wonderful daughter! It is fantastic how you always support her and are always there for her! I hope you have a wonderful birthday!! :))) Father and daughter relationships are always so sweet and special. I love the one I have with my dad. Have a great year!

49 Rachel @ The Avid Appetite December 9, 2011 at 7:36 pm

this is just about the sweetest πŸ™‚ happy birthday to your dad!
Rachel @ The Avid Appetite recently posted..At-Home Art GalaMy Profile

50 Sami December 9, 2011 at 7:51 pm

those kinda dads are the best kinda dads πŸ™‚

happy birthday! he will love this post.
xo.
Sami recently posted..FUEL.My Profile

51 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans December 9, 2011 at 8:19 pm

You very lucky! I only wish I had this relationship with my dad
Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans recently posted..Hitting SnoozeMy Profile

52 Amanda December 9, 2011 at 10:25 pm

This was so well written and it almost made me tear up! I can only imagine how great it made your dad feel! And wow, were you homecoming queen? Also awesome. πŸ™‚

53 Bianca @A Healthy Gourmet Lifestyle December 10, 2011 at 1:44 am

This was so sweet!

I got your cookie bars in the mail today and they are so good!! Even my boyfriend loved them and I was really surprised about that since they were reduced sugar. Love your blog girlie πŸ™‚

54 Hayley @ Oat Couture December 10, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Your dad sounds absolutely AWESOME!!! Love this post! πŸ™‚
Hayley @ Oat Couture recently posted..Cranberry, Orange and White chocolate OatiesMy Profile

55 Kellie @ Compelled To Do So December 11, 2011 at 9:05 pm

This made me smile. Dads are truly the best. My dad calls me every Sunday to check in and chat, and I cannot wait to hear from him tonight. Send your dad TONS of birthday wishes from Internet Land! πŸ™‚
Kellie @ Compelled To Do So recently posted..Emergent MondayMy Profile