Scrappy Marathoner

November 2, 2011 · 50 comments

If you missed the first part of my Marine Corps Marathon recap, you can find it here. In a nutshell, it was successful, I was happy, parents were proud, bladdy blah.

Amy sent me this. I guess I owe my lack of major mishaps to her.

(source)

Definition of a successful marathon.

A lot of people have asked what gear I wore for the marathon and how I chose it. And, to echo the advice of the experts, don’t wear anything for the first time. Wear something you’ve worn for a substantial amount of time.

Layer one: The singlet I designed on logosportswear.com, Target knee socks cut into arm sleeves (cheap for guilt-free tossing), and the Garmin… like I’d ever run without it.

(source)

Layer two: Gel Nimbus 12 Asics, Lululemon wunder under crops, SPI belt (sporting breast cancer awareness for my sister!) for my energy gels, a Nathan Quickdraw Plus water bottle, a Champion C9 tee (from Target – loove these), and of course, a beloved BIC Band.

My top layer included a new One More Mile “Some girls chase boys. I pass ’em” headband, gloves from my tender childhood (easy for tossing), and a Champion C9 running jacket.

Fun fact: I wore that jacket for my first half marathon!

One of my favorite parts of coming home and unpacking from my weekend was adding a nice little addition to Rav:

According to my race photos courtesy of marathonfoto.com, I’m a happy runner, but I get scrappy if you get in my way.

I start out looking pretty innocent.

But the finish line is a different story.

Didn’t anyone teach these people to run THROUGH the finish line and to not slow down right before it? They’re killin’ me.

This is all I wanted.

Now, who wants to run a marathon with me?

1 Brandi @ The Vitamin Bee November 2, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Teach me the ways of a cute picture girl! Mine are always horrendous!

How were your Wunder Unders during the race? I cant run in mine, they fall down!

Yay for your 26.2 sticker! That was my favorite thing from my first race! 🙂

And wtf Fran! Who slows down at the finish?!
Brandi @ The Vitamin Bee recently posted..Ten Things TuesdayMy Profile

2 Megan November 2, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I love it. Every word! My next goal (besides to have FUN at the Princess Half in Feb) is to run a marathon. I’m freaked out and excited at the same time. But reading all of these great marathon recaps makes me realize I can do this! 🙂 So basically – if you come to Michigan, I’ll run a marathon with you!
Megan recently posted..Did You Know – Sparky EditionMy Profile

3 kimert November 2, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Congrats on your marathon finish!! You look so happy! Love it. Great race recap.
kimert recently posted..The splits.My Profile

4 theAlmostRunner November 2, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I can’t believe people just STOP at the finish line. I woulda shanked someone. FOR SURE.
theAlmostRunner recently posted..Bout Ta Be ShreddedMy Profile

5 Lisa @ I'm an Okie November 2, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Gotta keep moving at the finish line and GET OUT OF THE WAY!

good job! You did great.
Lisa @ I’m an Okie recently posted..Goodbye Cancer.My Profile

6 Kailey (SnackFace) November 2, 2011 at 3:49 pm

This is actually a great metaphor for life and how I am in it: I’m all smiles and laughs until someone gets in my way. Then watch the F out.

Hahaha Iove these pics so much! You = amaze! xo
Kailey (SnackFace) recently posted..About Face and Skin: The Video!My Profile

7 Danica @ GirlsThatRun November 2, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I’m a fairly new reader but I just wanted to say Congrats!! I’m training for my first half marathon and right now I have trouble imagining running twice the distance… but maybe one day! Cute pics BTW… I hope I can keep a smile up while running haha

8 Kristine @ Running On Hungry November 2, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Obsessed with you and so happy the marathon went so well! (Not that I had any doubts!) Come run in SF now! 🙂 I promise it’s not even cold!

Next up: Please introduce yourself to the wonder that are Lululemon Run Inspire Crops. They’re like running in Wunder Unders… on steriods. Amazing!
Kristine @ Running On Hungry recently posted..Week 13 to 26.2My Profile

9 Nicole @ Haute Running Mama November 2, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Love the pics! Keep on smiling and keep on running girlie!
Nicole @ Haute Running Mama recently posted..Running. Oh, and one last Halloween discussion!My Profile

10 Michelle November 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Where have you been my whole life! I <3 you in a bloggy love kinda way! You are fabulous 🙂

11 Caitlin November 2, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Seeing marathon recaps makes me crave that sense of accomplishment. But then I remember that I’ve never run more than 8 miles and it really bores me…maybe someday tho!
Caitlin recently posted..At-Home Workout + My First Thai ExperienceMy Profile

12 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts November 2, 2011 at 4:27 pm

haha I love it 🙂 I had to do some scrappy moves too.. *itches need to MOVE. not that I was booking it or anything but still COME ON.

Also.. I might want to run a marathon with you… 🙂 I’m running the Rock & Roll 1/2 in March 🙂
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Marine Corps 10k!My Profile

13 Sarah OUaL November 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm

HAHAHAH omg dropping shoulders, throwing elbows… Yeah we’re lost soul sisters. WTF with the congestion at the finish??
Sarah OUaL recently posted..The Finished Project – Halloween Tutu Tale (OUaL Madlibs)My Profile

14 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy November 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm

What the Fran was she doing??
Waitta get there, girl.
Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy recently posted..Not a Crockpot RecipeMy Profile

15 Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) November 2, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Who slows down BEFORE a finish line? I’ve only ever done a 5k and even I know that! Geesh.
Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..WIAW: To Grow a BabyMy Profile

16 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com November 2, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I DO I DO I DO!!!! That would be so fun!! Girl, you got the sticker wahoo!!! Love all the pictures!
janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..Last Minute Details…..My Profile

17 Ellie@fitforthesoul November 2, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Haha I love all the fun pictures with captions! You’re so funny girlie~ And hey~! Those knee suck cut-outs are really genius!! I bet it’ll be a new trend not long from now 😉
Ellie@fitforthesoul recently posted..Spelt Ginger SnapsMy Profile

18 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 2, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Haha if you were that happy i’d so run a marathon with you! Great job again 😀

19 Katie November 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm

the last photo..i can see that spot from my back door. so sad i missed you.

20 Nikki November 2, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Haha you’re awesome. Love the finish line series!

Great job with the marathon, Ma’am!

21 julie November 2, 2011 at 8:17 pm

i would run a marathon for the sole reason to stick a 26.2 sticker on the back of my rear haha
julie recently posted..panko partyMy Profile

22 Lauren November 2, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I’ll run a marathon with you if I can piggy back the second 13.1 miles. I’m mostly just sad that that girl’s name is Fran. Although, she’s clearly proud of it.
Lauren recently posted..WIA(While it Snowed)WMy Profile

23 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries November 2, 2011 at 9:28 pm

No, I do not want to run a marathon with you 🙂 Every update I got I was like “oh my gosh, she’s going faster…and FASTER!” You’re a speed demon and I’m terribly impressed!

We’ll consider my half marathon a true success if I don’t shit myself. Fingers crossed.

24 Angela @ MyPinkyToes November 2, 2011 at 9:34 pm

You looked adorable the whole time! What great photos with the white house in the background! That is awesome!!!
Angela @ MyPinkyToes recently posted..Achievable and ChallengingMy Profile

25 Alexa @ Simple Eats November 2, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Still can’t believe how well you did…just WOW! And I don’t think I’m ready for your jelly. I’d probably be passed out by mile 5 of a marathon with you. 😉
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Hey There, November.My Profile

26 Celia November 3, 2011 at 12:40 am

Those finish line shots are so funny! Why was it so crowded?! I don’ remember that…

I will totally run a marathon with you!

27 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy November 3, 2011 at 2:44 am

Sometimes, I read your posts, and feel like I really do want to run a marathon. Then, I remember that I’m currently training for a 4.5 mile Thanksgiving morning trot, which is measly in comparison…and that my legs are already feeling bigger with each run. Why is that always the first part of my body to gain muscle? I like my legs to fit into my pants…. Obviously I’m too high maintenance for long distance running…
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Tis the Season… for November GoalsMy Profile

28 Claire @ let's go on a living spree November 3, 2011 at 3:30 am

Ummmmmm….Vegas in 4 weeks?? I already purchased two bar/club crawls and am going out another night before the race, but it’s VEGAS! And I plan on sleeping all day Sunday so I don’t feel hungover when I run. Err, well that’s the plan anyways haha
Claire @ let’s go on a living spree recently posted..Dinner in a BowlMy Profile

29 Amy November 3, 2011 at 5:19 am

Hahahah i love that you posted the someecard on here! Love all the pics you truly are a rockstar! And I agree with Claire come to Vegas and I’ll hold the life size sign and cheer you on! And then drive us straight to my fav bars after you finish 🙂
Amy recently posted..Life as a Working GirlMy Profile

30 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 3, 2011 at 7:04 am

YEEEEOWWW sexy mama you kicked butt and yes you are kara goucher
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..AHHH so caffeinatedMy Profile

31 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 3, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I don’t know if I could carry a water bottle so far and so long. Just running with my iPhone seems heavy for me. Maybe I’m a wimp. At what point in your training did you start carrying water?
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Souper DayMy Profile

32 Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn November 4, 2011 at 10:31 am

Wooo congratulations!! You must be feeling so fantastic 🙂
I know nothing about running so all I can say is that you look great in your gear!
I love this post, it’s so unbeat and fun! 🙂
Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday No.15My Profile

33 Erika November 4, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Congrats!! I am running NYC’s Marathon this Sunday and this definitely helped pump me up :).
Erika recently posted..Daily Lens – Schiller’s, NYCMy Profile

34 Hillary November 5, 2011 at 12:36 am

This made me giggle out loud. Especially the Fran captions. Too good.

35 Laura November 5, 2011 at 6:22 pm

So I read your guest post on PBFingers and I thought I would head over here to give your blog a look-see. I love it! I started running Jan 2010 and had to stop this past spring as I have come down with a chronic illness….buttttttttt….when I first started running and really got into it, I said I would run a marathon in 7 yrs (yeah no idea why I picked 7 yrs but there it is). Needless to say I am incredibly interested in your “First time marathoner” posts 🙂

I do have (probably a dumb) question–what did you do with your clothes when you shed them?
Laura recently posted..Running WoesMy Profile

36 Katie November 5, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I would TOTALLY run a marathon with you. We’d laugh, we’d cry, we’d wear matching tiaras and bright blue spandex. I’m running my first half next weekend in richmond. Woot. The race starts at 7:30 in the morning. Womp. I have no idea what to wear to dress accordingly. Any suggestions? I hate running with extra weight that hits me consistently and bothers me to the extreme. I know, I can act like a princess sometimes. Would love your thoughts!
– Katie at http://www.ohshineon.com
Katie recently posted..“wait, i can’t believe it’s not soup”My Profile

37 dee November 6, 2011 at 1:00 am

Hi!! I’m new to your blog (via pbfingers! Great guest post!)and new to running! I have my very first half marathon scheduled in a few months!! I was wondering where you “toss” these items and where you stash them if you want to keep them! Your posts are really helping to motivate me and keep me pumped about the half!!

38 Katy @ HaveYouHurd November 8, 2011 at 4:20 pm

You down for the MCM 2012? If so, I’ll run one whitcha!

haha loving the sequence at the finish line… “bitches” hahaha
Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..Day 8: Be Thankful ChallengeMy Profile

39 Brittany @ LessBritt MoreLife November 9, 2011 at 12:13 am

You are an awesome marathoner! SO proud of you!!! You’ll have to be my running coach someday 🙂 love you!