I’m Back

November 28, 2011 · 30 comments

I had a busy, busy Thanksgiving.

I had a certain audio book entertaining me for the ride to New Jersey on Tuesday night…

(read: obsessed.)

I know I’m late in the game, but all of you were right. The Hunger Games is amazing. I’m a little more than halfway finished the first book, and I have been hooked from the first ten minutes.

It may have been the soundtrack to my 10 mile run yesterday.

Anyway, after a 6 hour drive in crazy a downpour, I arrived to see this smiling face I have missed so much.

We had the best girly day on Wednesday one could hope for. We shopped at our old mall (did you know the mall where we grew up shopping was the first indoor mall?) before hitting our old local salon for some pampering. While Mag got her hair cut and colored, I decided I needed a shellac manicure and a spa pedicure.

My toesies are teal, in case you’re curious. I won’t indulge you with pictures.

After another delicious home-cooked meal (gosh, I’ve missed those), we headed out for Thanksgiving Eve. Our local bar was packed with an overwhelming amount of old classmates, and I can’t even put into words how excited I was to see everyone again.

You see, when I left New Jersey for college, my parents moved to North Carolina. I’ve spent 5 years jealously pouting at pictures of everyone reuniting every Thanksgiving Eve since the move, and I was p-s-y-c-h-e-d to finally get to be a part of things.

Clearly, I come from an extremely diverse part of South Jerz.

There were fist-pumps. We are from New Jersey.

Maggie and I woke up and ran an awesome hungover 5k Turkey Trot.

Remember the torrential downpour I drove through on my way to NJ? Well, apparently that made our 5k route really fantastic.

“OUTTA MY WAY SUCKAS.”

And by really fantastic, I mean my beloved new shoes now look like this.

womp womp.

We dodged, skipped, hopped, and navigated through the mud. It’s a great thing neither of us were going for a PR, because I’m pretty sure my body told me that would be a stupid idea around mile .8.

We finished. And the race was ghetto enough that we weren’t even given our times. You know I’ll be hanging that Turkey ribbon on my medal hanger, though.

Wanna know what we did for the rest of Turkey Day?

Drank the above mimosas. Ate a butt ton of hummus and carrots and pita chips. Slept for two hours. Woke up, showered, and ate an amazing Thanksgiving dinner.

A pretty stellar holiday for the books.

1 nicole marie November 28, 2011 at 5:25 pm

oh my goodness, your thanksgiving recap totally captivated me! are you a twin?! you two girls look SO much alike! x
nicole marie recently posted..sunday: instead of bingeing and purgingMy Profile

2 Heather November 28, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I went to high school in Texas and a couple of years later, my parents moved to Texas so I COMPLETELY understand the jealously when it comes to facebook photos of bar reunions and group hugs hit the nets! Glad you got to experience a NJ Thanksgiving weekend, my love!
Heather recently posted..Then Lauren Said: First Race QuestionsMy Profile

3 Celia November 28, 2011 at 5:37 pm

The Hunger Games are awesome! I was so sad when I finished all 3 books way too fast!! Enjoy them!

Looks like a pretty great Thanksgiving!
Celia recently posted..thankfulMy Profile

4 theAlmostRunner November 28, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I’m beyond ecstatic that you love The Hunger Games. I mean, since I finished them in a weekend am basically addicted.
theAlmostRunner recently posted..You’ll Want to Weigh in on These ThingsMy Profile

5 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe November 28, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Sounds like you had a really fun weekend, even though the turkey trot was less than stellar! I had my high school reunion this weekend so I got some good pics, but all in all, I’m going to be recovering from this weekend for a few more days #turkeycoma.
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Running, reunions and regretting how much I ate!My Profile

6 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 28, 2011 at 6:16 pm

WILL RUN FOR MIMOSAS — outta my way betches, there’s drank at the finish line.

7 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 28, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I love shellac – stays on forever!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Thanksgiving – Lightened UpMy Profile

8 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts November 28, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I love the Hunger Games series so much it’s a problem. I read all three books in a week!! insane… I know. I also apparently have no life :)

Glad you had a fun weekend!
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Black FridayMy Profile

9 Amber K November 28, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I can’t wait for the Hunger Games movies!

That must have been fun to reunite with everyone. There were whole groups of people who all seemed to look alike at my high school too. Lol, we are REAL diverse here in Oregon.
Amber K recently posted..Melting Monday : Down With DietsMy Profile

10 Hayley @ Oat Couture November 28, 2011 at 6:32 pm

The hunger games are the best! They totally suck you in though, don’t expect to get much else done! ;) Sounds like an awesome thanksgiving!
Hayley @ Oat Couture recently posted..Sunday StuffMy Profile

11 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries November 28, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Weird that I already stalked those pictres on Facebook? :)

SO GLAD you had a fun time with Maggie and her fam!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Holiday Comforts & TraditionsMy Profile

12 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 28, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Sounds like such a fun time! It’s always great to catch up with old friends :)

13 Terran Leigh November 28, 2011 at 9:25 pm

OMG I am reading the 2nd book of the Hunger Games and am IN LOVE. They are so amazing. I was also late to the game and just started reading them last week – they are addicting!

14 Katherine @ Neon Blonde Runner November 28, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Ooh I would have been really peeved about the new shoes getting dirty. But you can probably just spot clean them?

And I love books on tape also! They really make the time fly by.
Katherine @ Neon Blonde Runner recently posted..Spring MTT Group Run + 20 Mile Run Along the PotomacMy Profile

15 chelsea November 28, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Omg reading a book for long runs!? More so HEARING a book! Why have I never thought of that before!?

16 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 28, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Sounds like a pretty amazing holiday to me. I had wine, cheese&crackers, wine, turkey, and a bit more wine with pie. No turkey trots here though – that might have been messy. Nope… not referring to mud.
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Full-Blown HolidayMy Profile

17 Molly @ Hungry Hungry Runner November 28, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I’m totally on the Hunger Games bandwagon, too. I read all three books in less than a week and have pushed the series on family and friends as well. It’s just too good to keep to yourself! :)

I’m glad you had a great holiday weekend! It’s always good to see/drink with old friends! :)

18 Allie @ PickyEatingRD November 28, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Gahhh I still haven’t read or listened to The Hunger Games. I better get on that before the movie comes out because then it will be a guarantee the book will never happen.
Allie @ PickyEatingRD recently posted..6 Day WeekendMy Profile

19 Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 29, 2011 at 12:25 am

Sounds like a pretty awesome Thanksgiving! We also drank mimosas and ate way too much on Thanksgiving … but I did absolutely zero running this weekend. I did, however, spend way too much money on new running clothes. Same thing, right? ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..We missed the baby memo.My Profile

20 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry November 29, 2011 at 2:47 am

Ahh, I love the Hunger Games! I can’t WAIT for the movie! So excited you are reading it (or listening to it). I’m going to have to start getting audio books for runs, I bet it would be motivating.

YOUR POOR SHOES!!!

I love love love reunions with all my high school homefries :) looks like a fun time.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Epicure and the “Trailer”My Profile

21 Melissa November 29, 2011 at 2:48 am

Ahhhh your shoes! I shed a tear for you … hate when my new pair starts to get dirty, makes me so sad. Post 5k mimosas? We need to run a race together, stat. And then have bottomless mimosas. Yes please!
Melissa recently posted..What’s Next?My Profile

22 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie November 29, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Ugh i found a race to run up here too and then noticed there was no time…um, no thanks! It’s all good though – you got your workout on!
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..Still StuffedMy Profile

23 Janelle November 29, 2011 at 2:38 pm

My turkey trot looked a lot like yours. The poor guy in front of my lost his shoe in a HUGE mud puddle. I love running in the mud though. It drives me crazy when my running shoes are totally clean! Have you seen the trailer for the hunger games movie yet??
Janelle recently posted..listen to your gutMy Profile

24 Corrie Anne November 30, 2011 at 12:43 am

I love ghetto races! They’re the best. My Thanksgiving was pretty sweet. I ran a relay with my family. A homemade relay so it was probably even more ghetto!! Haha.
Corrie Anne recently posted..Running for Turkey: One of the Craziest Things My Family Has Ever DoneMy Profile

25 Melissa November 30, 2011 at 2:04 am

Just wanted to let you know I love your blog! You seriously crack me up. And the pictures you always post of Chloe remind me of my own dog, Pancake. I also enjoyed the recap of your marathon…. looking forward to reading more!
Melissa recently posted..When I Drive Myself, My Light is Found…My Profile