Easy DIY Hydrating Hair Mask

November 8, 2011 · 53 comments

You know how once the heat gets turned on in the fall, your hair and skin are suddenly obnoxiously dry?

When I went to get my bangs trimmed by my awesome hairdresser, she told me my hair was supa dry. It must have been all that loofah action.

After giving her dirty looks and telling her her hair didn’t look so hot either (not really), I decided to do something about it.

Enter.. the easy peasy DIY hydrating hair mask!

And I even made it so you guys can “pin” it for Pinterest. Click that little button below the graphic.

Pin It

It really is easy peasy. All you need is honey, olive oil (I used EVOO), and a microwave.

1. Pour olive oil into a small microwave-safe bowl 2. Warm olive oil for ~20 seconds in the microwave

3. Add your honey (tip: use the same measuring spoon: the oil makes the honey slide out of the spoon easily) and mix, mix, mix until it’s all even.

4. Coat your wet hair from root to tip. You’ll be a great big greaseball, so I recommend throwing a towel around your shoulders to keep the oil off your clothes.

5. If you have no shower cap like me, grab a handy dandy plastic shopping bag, and without suffocating yourself, tie it around your head to keep all the warmth from the oil in. Sit like this for 15 minutes and avoid all human contact.

6. Once your 15 minutes is up, rinse 2 or 3 times (I hit a 3-spot), condition as regularly, and blow-dry/style as normal.

Your luscious locks will thank you. Take that, dry heat.

Any easy peasy hair secrets you guys can throw my way?

1 Molly @ Hungry Hungry Runner November 8, 2011 at 4:31 pm

My hair needs this. Desperately. It’s thoroughly fried from the daily torture inflicted by my blow dryer and flat iron. Thanks for sharing this! :)

2 Sarah OUaL November 8, 2011 at 5:03 pm

CAMERA TWINS!! Ok I can’t deny the universe’s signs any longer – I’m hopping the next east-bound flight outta OC.
Sarah OUaL recently posted..Island TimeMy Profile

3 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 8, 2011 at 8:48 pm

YES. finally.

4 Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves November 8, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Ooohh. I need this! The dry weather and constant washing after the gym has my hair looking pretty frizzy. Thanks!

5 Mila @ loftyappetite November 8, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Speaking of olive oil I just discovered this ah-mazing olive oil based heat spray from Sally’s Beauty Supplies, it’s called “Silk Elements Megasilk Olive Heat Protection Spray.”You spray it on your ends after showering and then blow dry! My super dry hair is now silky smooth and I can’t stop touching it. I was really impressed especially since i have really frizzy/wavy hair and always have to straighten it, and with this product all i do is blow dry! I Highly recommend if you are looking for similar results to your awesome mask, yet don’t have time for a spa day!
Now that I wrote a massive comment about it, I now realize maybe this stuff deserves a blog post…
Mila @ loftyappetite recently posted..apple streusel muffinsMy Profile

6 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 8, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Great idea – my ends are lookin’ pretty sad these days.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Roasted Eggplant SpreadMy Profile

7 Theresa November 8, 2011 at 5:19 pm

just wanna say i love your blog! first time commenting but i’m definitely always looking for ways to combat dry hair from my blow dryer…and i have all these ingredients so now i’ll need to try it out! :)

8 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 8, 2011 at 8:48 pm

that’s why I love it… so easy with just two ingredients!

9 Amber K November 8, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Love the plastic bag look ;)
Amber K recently posted..Emotional EatingMy Profile

10 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer November 8, 2011 at 6:30 pm

OOh, I need to give this a try, STAT!
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Cookie SwapMy Profile

11 Whit November 8, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Def gonna make this mask – thank girl. And also – I hate that I spend $170 every 6 weeks to get my hair to look like yours and yours is NATURAL. UGH!! You have NO IDEA how jealous I am of your naturally golden locks! Lucky lucky girl..

12 Jenn @ Peas and Crayons November 8, 2011 at 6:47 pm

another reason i need to buy honey! I keep forgetting its on my list!

=) rock that showecap gurl!
Jenn @ Peas and Crayons recently posted..Pretty Meets Functional: Vase Turned Utensil HolderMy Profile

13 Emily November 8, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I love DIY beauty tips. The Dr. Oz show yesterday said to rub coconut oil in your hair and sleep (with a towel on your pillow). Shower it out in the morning and your locks are supposed to be luscious!
Emily recently posted..If I Were A Boy…My Profile

14 Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs November 8, 2011 at 7:22 pm

LOVE this! I was thinking this morning my hair was looking more flyaway-y than usual, this is great. I’ve also heard that just olive oil works too, I was honestly thinking about using my cooking spray… hahaha. It may be awesome… TBD :)

15 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 8, 2011 at 8:46 pm

oh, be sure to come back and report.

16 Beth November 8, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I will have to try that since my hair is like straw from all the swimming I do and because I won’t cut it because I am vain :D
Beth recently posted..Ironman Wish List – Part 1My Profile

17 Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City November 8, 2011 at 8:02 pm

great tip, thanks! sometimes i throw a little mayo on my hair and cover it with saran wrap. gross? sure is, but it makes your hair pretty soft. make a sandwich while you’re at it :)
Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City recently posted..The most important meal of the day!My Profile

18 Gwen November 8, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Love it!! My hair gets so staticy (sp??) I can’t wait to go steal a bunch oh honey packets from sbucks and try this! Also amazing job at mcm!
Gwen recently posted..Just Can’t Get EnoughMy Profile

19 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 8, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I love a scrappy girl! get those starbies honey packets. and thank you :)

20 Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life November 8, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Great how-to! My hair is dry in every season, so I better get on this STAT.
Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life recently posted..Rack your Brain….for meMy Profile

21 Erika - The Teenage Taste November 8, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Oh my goodness, my hair definitely needs this ASAP. But before I do it I was just wondering, was the mask hard to wash out? I feel like it would be since the two ingredients are honey and oil…
Erika – The Teenage Taste recently posted..The Story Behind The SocksMy Profile

22 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 9, 2011 at 2:15 am

I was actually surprised with how easily it washed out.

23 sinddy November 9, 2011 at 2:07 am

wow i have to try this. thank you for great tip for hair mask.
sinddy recently posted..Live in bedroomMy Profile

24 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie November 9, 2011 at 2:17 am

thank you for posting that last picture of you… you made my night!
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..8 minute dinnerMy Profile

25 Laura November 9, 2011 at 2:58 am

oooo! I am alll over this!! I was just thinking this morning about how bad my hair was getting. And the first thing I thought of when I was starting to read was….”How the heck am I going to keep this from getting everywhere?” Nice to see you had that covered :)
Laura recently posted..Cha-cha-cha-channnnges!!My Profile

26 nicole marie November 9, 2011 at 3:06 am

kerastase paris!
the best hair products in the world!
seriously, kerastase changed my life and hair quality! :) x
nicole marie recently posted..best bulimic friend forever (bbff)My Profile

27 Alexa @ SimpleEats November 9, 2011 at 3:16 am

I feel ya on this one! A few times a week in the winter, I leave my normal conditioner in a few minutes longer than normal in the shower and it seems to help!
Alexa @ SimpleEats recently posted..Baby Come BackMy Profile

28 Dad November 9, 2011 at 4:25 am

what? no cute comments that your dear DAD (me) installed a new microwave for you to use to do this, and got you a HUMIDIFIER that will surely help????? I am hurt.

XO

DAd

29 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm

“p.s. I love my new microwave, I’m not sick thanks to my humidifier, and my dad is fantastic.”

30 Karla November 9, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Oh goodness Alyssa you read my mind. I’m totalllly doing this tonight, my hair is DESTROYED! thanks :)
Karla recently posted..Busy Bee!My Profile

31 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries November 9, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Oh, oh I’m sooo going to do this!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Make a Muscle, Make a DifferenceMy Profile

32 Emily November 9, 2011 at 10:38 pm

My hair desperately needs this! Thank you so much- I can’t wait to try it.
Emily recently posted..WIAW #6: Busy-Girl EditionMy Profile

33 Megan January 3, 2012 at 5:17 am

Cant wait to try this! When you rinse do you use shampoo or just simply rinse with water??

34 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 3, 2012 at 1:21 pm

with shampoo! :)

35 Benjina March 19, 2012 at 11:26 am

I love your DIY beauty tips. My hair is look like straw and dry from the swimming so I will try this one. Thanks so much.
Benjina recently posted..Habits That Are Giving You AcneMy Profile

36 Eilis October 6, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Could you use Grapeseed oil instead of olive oil ??

37 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 8, 2012 at 9:15 am

I haven’t tried grapeseed oil, but I bet you could!

38 sonya carter January 24, 2013 at 4:33 pm

why does it have to be olive oil cant it be vegetable oil or canola oil?

39 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 25, 2013 at 8:22 am

It can. Olive oil is just known for its moisturizing properties, so I went with that one specifically. :)

40 arielle March 31, 2013 at 1:19 pm

do you need to clean your hair before doing this or can it be all dirty and gross? And can it work with other oils, like i have canola?

41 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 4, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I think it could work either way. And you can use any oil!

42 Roberta April 12, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Hi Alyssa

Face masks, and now hair masks. Keep them coming. Heaven knows, we need all of them.
Thanks for sharing and the actual steps to put it together.

Roberta
Roberta recently posted..5 Most Common Reasons For Hair LossMy Profile

43 concentrate abs March 22, 2014 at 5:34 am

Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote
and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as
well am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything.
Do you have any suggestions for beginner blog writers?
I’d really appreciate it.
concentrate abs recently posted..concentrate absMy Profile

44 Sabina July 1, 2014 at 5:06 am

I am using the Pro Naturals Hair Mask and it’s soooo wonderful! :) really good for damaged or chemically processed hair because its so gentle and it uses argan oil which is the best thing you can use on your hair. Look them up online and see if you like anything from them like shampoo, conditioner, argan oil for after a shower, hair masks, and other stuff. Also, it doubles as a heat protectant if you ever want to straighten or blow dry your hair.

45 Jen July 24, 2014 at 8:27 pm

What do you mean wet hair. Shampoo her then after wear the mask. Sorry but I’m confused and desperate for results on my hair

46 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 25, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Jen, don’t shampoo your hair first… just wet your hair, then apply the mask! You’ll need to shampoo after the mask. :)

47 Rose August 14, 2014 at 4:54 pm

This looks super! My hair is super dry at the moment because of all the sun! I’ll be slathering this on at the weekend! Yay, thanks.
Rose recently posted..Coconut Oil – Deep & Nourishing Skin MoisturizerMy Profile