An Intimate, Healthy Relationship

November 18, 2011 · 24 comments

I have a good relationship with food.

…maybe too intimate of a relationship with food. I like it a lot.

As a kid, I wasn’t into food. I liked treats, I wasn’t usually a member of the “clean plate club” (of which I am now Club President, thankyouverymuch), I didn’t get excited about food, and I was picky.

Maybe all that picky-ness was due to a complete lack of presentable chompers. Just a thought.

However, something changed in my senior year of high school. Since then, I’ve been all about food. I’m pretty much always hungry. Ever since I suddenly couldn’t eat whatever I wanted (darned that whole “growing up” thing), I’ve liked to keep it healthy. ‘Cause if the food’s healthy, you feel better and you can eat way more of it. ;)

Note that key word there: healthy.

I mention this because there’s certain search term that keeps popping up on my blog, and it’s a term I have no relation to.

Say whaaaat? C’mon, guys. Let’s talk.

My senior year of college, I trained for my first half marathon. My college had an awful, terrible cafeteria (read: fried food, pizza, cereal, or salad bar – that’s it). So, I was typically stuck at the salad bar trying to eat something that wasn’t old/wouldn’t poison me/wasn’t fried. I was too cheap to go out for meals during the week, so I’d take what I could get fo free.

When I was suddenly running way more than I was used to, a day of egg whites with toast, fruit, yogurt, peanut butter, granola, cereal, and a salad with turkey weren’t cutting it for my daily calorie/fat intake.

I was trying to fuel my body by eating healthy things (“gotta be healthy to run fast!”) — I just wasn’t getting enough of it. Of course, I had plenty of weekend treats… duh, I was in college (read: wine/candy/beer/dip/bread/liquor/lotsofjunkinlargequantities). And I most certainly didn’t hold back from those.

I dropped weight, and other than my clothes fitting looser, I just didn’t see I looked too skinny.

Looking back at pictures, I do see it now, and I’ve learned from that oversight. I consider myself lucky I’ve never felt the need to starve myself.

And even if I did, I’m pretty sure there is no way I’d have enough self-control to not eat. ;)

No, I have never suffered from an eating disorder. Yes, I was silly while training for my first half marathon and didn’t realize I needed much more food for the amount of exercise I was doing.

I haven’t ever felt the need to starve myself. Anyone who knows me well can attest that “with food” is my natural habitat, and it was then, too.

And yes, I gained plenty of weight back after the half was over, and through that oversight in training for my first half, I learned how to properly fuel myself (and more) through training for my first marathon.

I now know that I need more healthy fats, more chocolate milk for my sore muscles, and more carbs for energy. I probably don’t need more booze, pizza, and brownies, but I’ve incorporated that, too.

Yes, I weigh plenty more than I did while training for that first half marathon.

Hope that cleared some things up for you curious georges. ;)

1 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 18, 2011 at 3:11 pm

And you are completely badass and awesome and I could go on. Love this post!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..AnnouncementMy Profile

2 lindsay November 20, 2011 at 6:06 pm

bad ass and just plain COOLIO! I agree with Tina. I think a bit of clarity “BLYSS” style is totally legit. We all do stupid things from time to time, way to look at it in the face and grow from it.
lindsay recently posted..More than a DayMy Profile

3 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe November 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Great post. I think that people sometimes make assumptions based on how people look, whether skinny or not. I’ve been getting comments from friends and family members about how I’m “wasting away” or “getting too skinny” because I’m working out and paying attention to what I’m eating – I still have fries, mozz sticks and beer, but they see that I’ve lost 20lbs in the last 6 months and assume I must be starving myself. It’s just a lack of understanding.
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..4.5 miles later…My Profile

4 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts November 18, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I also love food and am willing to duel it out with you for “clean plate club” president. :)
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Foodie FridayMy Profile

5 Jackie @ Briging Home the Bacon November 18, 2011 at 3:23 pm

You look AMAZING! How did you do on your first half marathon? I have mine coming up on Sunday!

6 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 18, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Yep, I’ve always loved food too – everyone’s weight fluctuates naturally and it’s good to be aware of how you’re fueling your body. Live and learn! :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Friday 5My Profile

7 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm

If you’ve claimed the “president” title already, then I’m at least on the board of directors for the clean plate club. At least you keep it mostly healthy. I too like to throw back a few beers n’ brownies on the weekend (not necessarily together… that might be bad)
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Rants n’ RavesMy Profile

8 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health November 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm

You are awesome!!! I love this post :) . I think it’s absolutely fabulous that you have such a great relationship with food. If only everyone could have that same outlook (including myself sometimes!). Hope you have an awesome Friday pretty lady!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Stretching Series – Quads and HamstringsMy Profile

9 Celia November 18, 2011 at 4:36 pm

What a great outlook! Fantastic post!
Celia recently posted..why i am racing the philly halfMy Profile

10 Mac November 18, 2011 at 4:47 pm

That is so random that those terms are search words that brought readers to your blog! I am the same way as you… even if I wanted to starve myself, I wouldn’t have the self control to do it!

11 Molly @ Hungry Hungry Runner November 18, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I think it’s awesome that you have such a healthy relationship with food. Mine has a been a little rocky here and there over the years, but we’ve resolved our differences and are in a happy place now. ;) Have a great weekend!
Molly @ Hungry Hungry Runner recently posted..Is This Your First Time?My Profile

12 chelsea November 18, 2011 at 5:01 pm

food = my bestfriend hahah :) People I know laugh at me because I’m eating non-stop practically. Yet when I first started losing weight people I worked with accused me of looking “un-healthy.” Now they know better that’s for sure lol!

13 Chelcie @ Chelcie's food files November 18, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Love this post! I’ve always loved food, never went through the picky eater phase haha
Chelcie @ Chelcie’s food files recently posted..Boston bound!My Profile

14 theAlmostRunner November 18, 2011 at 7:02 pm

bad. ass. LOVE YOU.
theAlmostRunner recently posted..Own That, GirlMy Profile

15 Lindsay @ biking before bed November 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Amen for loving food! I’m going to echo Tina. You are a badass!
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Thanks for Sam’s Club and GleeMy Profile

16 Lauren November 18, 2011 at 8:08 pm

This has always been one of my favorite things about your blog. Truthfully, you’re one of the very few bloggers I read who appear, to me, to have a healthy relationship with food. While I’ve certainly wanted to lose pounds, tone up and be hotter multiple times in my life, it has never led to an unhealthy relationship with food. I get that for lots of people that’s not the case. But understanding that doesn’t necessarily make it easier to relate to. At no point in my life has food ever been an ‘enemy’. Food is, simply, food. And I yike it a yot.

I love that you have a healthy relationship with food too. Sometimes too much blog reading leads me to believe that I cannot be fit, healthy and fast without being extreme, obsessed and clazy.

17 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats November 18, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Hooray for food! I love it too much, too.
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Oodles of Noodles and Chocolate in the MailMy Profile

18 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry November 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I am with you, my friend. I love food, have always loved food, and never had an eating disorder. But since I have discovered the blog world, I have started to realize that we non-eating-disordered types are kind of the minority! I never realized just HOW many people suffer from an eating disorder. It is mind boggling.
I also really do not like reading about eating disorders, but I really enjoyed this post. So thank you for making disordered eating relatable and FUNNY.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Hello, I ate a lot todayMy Profile

19 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 18, 2011 at 9:33 pm

you know how I do. and yeah, I don’t enjoy reading about the subject, either. I’m all for the uplifting stuff.

20 Alyssa @ Don't Look Down November 18, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I’m glad you wrote this because I was beginning to feel like everyone in my Google reader has struggled with an eating disorder. I am also starting to really shy away from blogs that are like for lunch I had this .. and for breakfast … boring. And do people really eat like that? Pretty sure if that was my blog it would be like and then I had a snack of 3 cookies. And then for dinner I had 3 fun size snickers. And.it.was.awesome.
But seriously, you are a badass.
I like a girl who can enjoy her food without feeling guilty for indulging.
Alyssa @ Don’t Look Down recently posted..Thankful Thursday [On Turkey Day, Foam Roller, Discounts, and More]My Profile

21 Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 19, 2011 at 12:54 am

Awesome post, girl! It’s great that you are showing people how to have a postive relationship with food. People question me about being too skinny all the time … but then I tell them to go read my blog, so they can see just how much I eat. ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Whatcha Reading Weekend: Take 7My Profile

22 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy November 19, 2011 at 1:53 am

I’m glad that you’re healthy..and I’m glad that you’re okay with eating junk food on the weekends. That’s what the weekends are for, after all :) . You look great!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..8 MonthsMy Profile

23 Kristine @ Running On Hungry November 19, 2011 at 2:34 am

You’re pretty much my favorite person I’ve never actually met on the planet.

Well said!!
Kristine @ Running On Hungry recently posted..They Say It’s Your Birthday…My Profile

24 Emily November 20, 2011 at 5:42 am

This is such a great post, girl. I love seeing people that have such healthy, loving relationships when it comes to food. To so many people, that is SO inspirational and admirable.
It’s true- you can enjoy food and indulge every once in a while and still look like a rockstar! Thanks for being proof of that. :)
Emily recently posted..How Old Are You…Really?My Profile