The answer is, fortunately, no. I was half expecting to, as I’ve heard “there’s nothing that can prepare you for mile 20.”
I’m attributing this to good training, proper hydration, and some rockin tunes.
In all seriousness, I had lots of energy throughout the entire race. The only point in which I can think back to thinking “I’m losing energy. I don’t have enough in me to high-five the crowd.” was at mile 24.
It seemed to be fate when I hit the “next” button on my iPod, Best Love Song came on. I wanted to fist pump right then and there and was good to go for the rest of the race.
Needless to say, music plays an integral role in my races. By reader request, I’m highlighting some “must-adds” to your running playlists here.
Don’t comment on my love for weeny pop beats. I like ‘em and I’m not ashamed.
(I’ve included Youtube links for each song in case some aren’t familiar)
Mercy – Matt Nathanson
Who’s That Girl – Guy Sebastian (feat. Eve)
Set Fire to the Rain (Moto Blanco Radio Edit) – Adele
It Girl – Jason Derulo
Miss Alissa – Eagles of Death Metal
Thinking ‘Bout Somethin’ – Hanson
Faster – Matt Nathanson
Rolling in the Deep (DJ MegaMix Remix) – Adele
Don’t Wanna Go Home – Jason Derulo
Queen of Knots – Matt Nathanson
All I Do is Win – DJ Khaled (feat. T Pain)
What the Hell – Avril Lavigne
Runaway Baby – Bruno Mars
Take It Off – Ke$ha
Hello (Single Edit) – Martin Solveig & Dragonette
Good Thing – Reel Big Fish
Secret Smile – Rascal Flatts
Best Love Song – T-Pain (feat. Chris Brown)
Melody’s Song – The Ready Set
Dynamite – Taio Cruz
In My Head – Jason Derulo
Still Feels Good – Rascal Flatts
Dirty Talk – Wynter Gordon
Stronger – Britney Spears
Everytime We Touch – Cascada
I Can Transform Ya – Chris Brown (feat. Lil Wayne)
Bed Rock – Franchise (feat. Lil Wayne)
No Reins – Rascal Flatts
I Have You to Thank – Gavin DeGraw
Good Life (w/ T-Pain) – Kanye West
Backseat (feat. The Cataracs & Dev) – New Boyz
Three conclusions I take away from recapping this playlist:
1. I still really want the T-Pain microphone for Christmas.
2. T-Pain and Chris Brown’s decision for showcase girl in “Best Love Song” still really bothers me.
3. Jason Derulo and Chris Browns moves get me. Every stinkin’ time. As does Bruno Mars’ voice.
And three side notes:
1. Matt Nathason music will always be my favorite. If he would just lose the weird nose ring and facial hair, he’d be the man of my dreams. Love that stinkin’ music.
2. I would cut a human to be that girl in Gavin’s Not Over You video.
3. I died a little (in the good way) watching the Adele mash up on Glee’s “Mash Off” episode last night.
Aaand now I want to be a bonus member of the Troubletones.