Add This to Your Playlist

November 16, 2011 · 39 comments

Many have asked me if I ever hit a wall during the Marine Corps Marathon.

The answer is, fortunately, no. I was half expecting to, as I’ve heard “there’s nothing that can prepare you for mile 20.”

I’m attributing this to good training, proper hydration, and some rockin tunes. ;)

In all seriousness, I had lots of energy throughout the entire race. The only point in which I can think back to thinking “I’m losing energy. I don’t have enough in me to high-five the crowd.” was at mile 24.

It seemed to be fate when I hit the “next” button on my iPod, Best Love Song came on. I wanted to fist pump right then and there and was good to go for the rest of the race.

Needless to say, music plays an integral role in my races. By reader request, I’m highlighting some “must-adds” to your running playlists here.

Don’t comment on my love for weeny pop beats. I like ‘em and I’m not ashamed.

(I’ve included Youtube links for each song in case some aren’t familiar)

Newer Releases:

Sweeter – Gavin DeGraw
Good Feeling – Flo Rida
You Look Better When I’m Drunk – The White Tie Affair

Today’s Favorites:

Mercy – Matt Nathanson
Who’s That Girl – Guy Sebastian (feat. Eve)
Set Fire to the Rain (Moto Blanco Radio Edit) – Adele
It Girl – Jason Derulo
Miss Alissa – Eagles of Death Metal
Thinking ‘Bout Somethin’ – Hanson
Faster – Matt Nathanson
Rolling in the Deep (DJ MegaMix Remix) – Adele
Don’t Wanna Go Home – Jason Derulo
Queen of Knots – Matt Nathanson

All-Time Faves:

All I Do is Win – DJ Khaled (feat. T Pain)
What the Hell – Avril Lavigne
Runaway Baby – Bruno Mars
Take It Off – Ke$ha
Hello (Single Edit) – Martin Solveig & Dragonette
Good Thing – Reel Big Fish
Secret Smile – Rascal Flatts
Best Love Song – T-Pain (feat. Chris Brown)
Melody’s Song – The Ready Set
Dynamite – Taio Cruz
In My Head – Jason Derulo
Still Feels Good – Rascal Flatts
Dirty Talk – Wynter Gordon
Stronger – Britney Spears
Everytime We Touch – Cascada
I Can Transform Ya – Chris Brown (feat. Lil Wayne)
Bed Rock – Franchise (feat. Lil Wayne)
No Reins – Rascal Flatts
I Have You to Thank – Gavin DeGraw
Good Life (w/ T-Pain) – Kanye West
Backseat (feat. The Cataracs & Dev) – New Boyz

Three conclusions I take away from recapping this playlist:
1. I still really want the T-Pain microphone for Christmas.
2. T-Pain and Chris Brown’s decision for showcase girl in “Best Love Song” still really bothers me.
3. Jason Derulo and Chris Browns moves get me. Every stinkin’ time. As does Bruno Mars’ voice.

And three side notes:
1. Matt Nathason music will always be my favorite. If he would just lose the weird nose ring and facial hair, he’d be the man of my dreams. Love that stinkin’ music.
2. I would cut a human to be that girl in Gavin’s Not Over You video.

3. I died a little (in the good way) watching the Adele mash up on Glee’s “Mash Off” episode last night.

Aaand now I want to be a bonus member of the Troubletones.

(source)

1 theAlmostRunner November 16, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I like em, I like em. Except for Rascal Flatts (everyone is going to shank me for this)- I HATE that guy’s voice. Can’t handle any of their music. Other than that, you got the hookup, girl.
theAlmostRunner recently posted..The Results Are InMy Profile

2 chelsea November 16, 2011 at 5:01 pm

You need Lady Gaga Edge of Glory! I listen to that at the start line and it gets me so pumped up haha! Set a PR mile to that song whoop.

3 mego @watchmegorun November 16, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Okay its just scary how many songs we love that are the same. If we ever did a race together, I think wed just be dancing and singing the entire time :)

4 Lauren November 16, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Ahh! “Best Love Song” is one of my faves too and I love it when it comes up near the end of one of my races :) I love almost every song you have here and have most myself…I APPROVE! :D

5 jaymee November 16, 2011 at 5:07 pm

have you heard “hit the lights” by jay sean? i ran 6 miles listening to it on repeat. its BOMB.
jaymee recently posted..save the dates: travis + ashley.My Profile

6 Nicole @ Haute Running Mama November 16, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Ahhhhh adding to play list :) Thanks girl!
Nicole @ Haute Running Mama recently posted..T-t-t-taper. And last day to enter the giveaway!My Profile

7 Sarah OUaL November 16, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Ok I’m not into Glee but I am into Adele… and yeah. That. Was. Awesome. And now I want to go prance around somewhere in a LBD.
Sarah OUaL recently posted..Santa Barbara Marathon (Sub4 – “the secret race”)My Profile

8 Lauren November 16, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Don’t even get me started on C Breezy. LOVE. I’ll add some of these to my playlist!
Lauren recently posted..WIAW: Comfort FoodsMy Profile

9 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe November 16, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Big fan of “Little Lion Man” and “Pumped Up Kicks” right now for my runs!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..The best Christmas idea ever!My Profile

10 deep south runner November 16, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I had never heard of “Best Love Song” and I just previewed it and downloaded and LOVE it!! This is going on my running playlist ASAP. I am training for a marathon right now so I am constantly looking for new songs to keep my music fresh. It’s its own motivator:) Thanks!

11 Linz November 16, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I cannot stop listening to the Adele mash up, I’ve listened to it no less than 50 times since the episode air. Its pure greatness.
Linz recently posted..She’s crafty.My Profile

12 Kristine @ Running On Hungry November 16, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Yes, Yes and more YES!

1. Jason Dirulo “It Girl” = best running song ever
2. All time favorite Glee running song? “Loser Like Me”
3. Have you seen Gavin in concert? Because he sounds EXACTLY THE SAME as he does on his albums. The man is amazing.
4. I plan on finishing the marathon to “Danger Zone” because really, who doesn’t love Top Gun?
Kristine @ Running On Hungry recently posted..It’s Freezing.My Profile

13 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 17, 2011 at 1:00 am

I’d die and go to heaven to hit a Gavin concert.

14 Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files November 16, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I literally DIED watching glee last night! I went back on my dvr this morning and rewinded just to that song and played it twice..hha OBSESSED. I just want to be them!
Chelcie @ Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..WIAW-Sick EditionMy Profile

15 Karla November 16, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Thanks so much, Alyssa! I’ve been looking for new songs to add to the playlist. :)
Karla recently posted..Rambling about RunningMy Profile

16 Amber K November 16, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Music totally drives my workouts. While I won’t be running a marathon anytime soon, I’m all for anything to make my gym time more fun.
Amber K recently posted..Sorry Jimmy, But I Must Eat You NowMy Profile

17 Julie November 16, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Matt Nathanson is my favorite too!! He needs to get his act together though in the looks department…what happened to him?! He used to be so cute. Oh well, at least he sings good. ;)

18 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 17, 2011 at 1:00 am

you got it, sistah. and his writing. swoon.

19 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer November 16, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I kinda threw in the towel with Glee, but I did catch that mash up and was loving it. Might have to give the show another go!
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..I forgot to tell yaMy Profile

20 Katie November 16, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Love this list! Now my question is where do you get your music? I definitely want those Adele remixes but they’re not on iTunes :(
Katie recently posted..What I’m Reading Wednesday – The Art of FieldingMy Profile

21 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 17, 2011 at 12:59 am

gah, I got some of those just from listening to spoitfy. I’d search “(song title) remix” in iTunes though.. they usually have some!

22 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts November 16, 2011 at 6:10 pm

oh man I totally loved the mash up on glee last night too! I can’t get enough of it !
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Salmon with Lemon-Herb Chobani SauceMy Profile

23 Sami November 16, 2011 at 6:21 pm

mercy = a GREATTTTT song. love matt nathanson.

check out matt kearney, too. you’ll love him <3

xo.
Sami recently posted..Whatta-Ya-Know?My Profile

24 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 17, 2011 at 12:58 am

mercy’s my ringtone!

25 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life November 16, 2011 at 6:27 pm

That is a rockin’ playlist, girl! Many of your all-time favorites are mine too :)

26 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 17, 2011 at 12:58 am

I’ve gotta say, Courtney, I can’t not think of you when I hear “sexy and I know it” since your posting the video was the first time I’d heard the song. ha!

27 Ali November 16, 2011 at 6:38 pm

The new Gavin Degraw song is killer! I keep waiting for it to come on my iPod, but it hasn’t yet. Love the tune suggestions! I’m definitely adding some to my marathon play list for my January race. Thanks :) OH! And I do the same thing as you… whenever I see the camera guy I always give him a big thumbs up even if I feel like death. It gives me energy for five minutes or so because then I’m just laughing at myself.

28 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 16, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Great playlist!! I would die without music. I thrive on it throughout my runs!

29 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 16, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Apparently there are lots of tunes I need to check out. Youtube and I will bond in the near future.
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..WIAWMy Profile

30 Alexa @ Simple Eats November 16, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Glee gets me SO pumped when I run! I love listening to Teenage Dream by them. Thinking about those boys singing isn’t too bad either!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..It’s OK If…My Profile

31 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 17, 2011 at 12:57 am

Teenage dream from Glee is my favorite version of the song!

32 Pam November 16, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I hate Rascal Flatts, too. However, I did enjoy your playlist.
I like listening to some of T-Pain’s work, but I saw him open for the Black Eyed Peas last year and it was by far the most boring opening ever. He clearly was just going through the motions, but uninterested in entertaining the audience. I would NEVER go see him again.

33 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 17, 2011 at 12:57 am

you’re KIDDING! I just saw him open for Chris Brown and absolutely loved him! dare I say… he was better than Breezy himself.

34 Shannon November 17, 2011 at 1:12 am

The girl in Gavin’s video (we’re on a first name basis apparently…) looks just like Fiona Apple!! Speaking of which, she has great music too. By the way, I have every song on your throwback playlist. :)
Shannon recently posted..I’ve Been Keeping this Secret for MONTHSMy Profile

35 adrianna November 17, 2011 at 3:28 am

my running tunes are all over the place…hard rap, cheesy pop, alternative, old school rock…a good song is a good song!
agreed! the glee mash-up was freakin great.

36 Rach November 17, 2011 at 3:34 am

You have such great taste in music! i haven’t heard “Every Time We Touch” in I don’t know how long, haha!
Rach recently posted..Catch up!My Profile

37 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 17, 2011 at 4:39 pm

aaah, I was obsessed with that song in high school.

38 Amy November 17, 2011 at 4:58 am

Omg the trouble tones are amazing and the Adele mash up was soo sooo great!

The newest David Guetta album has been my recent workout jams.
Amy recently posted..Zip Lining and Heart Attack GrillMy Profile

39 Lyndsay @ Thinspiration November 18, 2011 at 3:08 am

This playlist has soooo many of my workout songs on it. Love it!!

And with that Troubletone performance…INCREDIBLE!!
Lyndsay @ Thinspiration recently posted..Sprained FootMy Profile