A Brand New Plan

November 30, 2011 · 47 comments

There are things I’ve neglected to tell you. I got too wrapped up in the Around It Goes Giveaway (have you entered yet?).

Or maybe it’s because the only thing I can think about is The Hunger Games.

Remember in the first book when Katniss is spending her first few days in the arena and is suffering of dehydration when she can’t find water? That’s the way my 10 miler felt on Sunday. While I was listening to that portion of the book on my iTouch. The city of Virginia Beach needs to keep the water fountains on when it’s this warm out, I tell ya.

See? I can’t think of anything other than The Hunger Games. It’s a problem in real life tasks, but it makes my runs pretty goshdarn entertaining.

Enough about that. Guess whose diet has undergone an overhaul?

That’s right.

Remember my friend and running buddy Jim? He completed the Marine Corps Marathon with us.

He owns fitness studios here in Virginia Beach, and he’s a nutrition expert.

So when Jim waltzed up to me post-marathon in his Calvin Kleins (I’m actually lying; he doesn’t show them off on a daily basis) and asked me if I “had a plan,” I told him yeah, I had a plan. My plan was to stop eating like a jerk and to get my butt back. Marathon training killed both areas.

When I realized he meant a nutrition plan, I was hesitant. When I limit myself, I don’t generally do so well. I’ve never gone on a diet. When I’m told I can’t have something, it’s all I want.

That’s my brain on a diet.

I’ve always followed the “everything in moderation unless you’re three sheets to the wind and that chili con queso looks awesome” diet plan.

But after talking with Jim about what my current eating habits and what needs to change, I’ve decided to give it a shot.

I also told him I was only game if he didn’t nix my booze and let me do my thang for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Knowing me well, he agreed to the terms, and I’m working with a healthier, more sustaining diet.

To take my beginning measurements, Jim hit me with the tape measure and had me grip that guy up there. By reading my body currents (whaat?), it gave me a body fat percentage. I’ve got my beginning height, weight, measurements, and stats, and I’ll track them after a month.

Yeah, a month. As in December 21. Awesome timing for a nutrition plan, Jimbo. I’ll be the one sulking in the corner at all the holiday parties adorned with tables of brownies, muffins, and Christmas cookies.

(source)

(That photo popped up when I googled “sad at holiday party.” I couldn’t not use it.)

Anyway, I’m diving in headfirst. More details to come, but I will tell you it’s going pretty well thus far.

Jim named my plan “hardcore.” “Because that’s what I am.”

No, really. He did say that. I’m not even making it up this time.

1 Marijke November 30, 2011 at 8:45 am

Oooh this looks so great! Are you really excited to see how this might affect your life? I’m really interested in how nutrition can radically change the way we feel so I’ll be following your updates!
Will you be posting more specifically about your diet?
Excuse me while I geek-out over here :)
Marijke recently posted..W-w-w-weekend!My Profile

2 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 30, 2011 at 1:19 pm

yeeess ma’am, I plan to!

3 nicole marie November 30, 2011 at 8:59 am

i think this is the BEST time to implement a fabulous health plan! avoiding all of that unhealthy foodstuff is so difficult for most people during the holidays. eating that stuff is like putting the regular grade gasoline into a mercedes! i recommend sticking to gin and red wine at parties! and here’s my food philosophy. http://nicoleandgwendolyn.com/2011/11/04/food-the-when/. it allows me to eat clean all year. thought it might be interesting for you to read! although aesthetically speaking, i think you’re fabulous; but i understand the need to nourish your body through good nutrition. yeah for your new health plan! i’m so excited for you! x
nicole marie recently posted..sparkle panties by nikeMy Profile

4 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 30, 2011 at 1:19 pm

thank you! and you’re right.. maybe it’s a blessing in disguise. and gin? yeesh!

5 Kace November 30, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I’m excited that your breakfast option #1 is what I eat every day – with banana slices. Look at me being accidentally healthy…

HG just gets more addicting. Fair warning.
Kace recently posted..Path of Least ResistanceMy Profile

6 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries November 30, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I’m like you (shocking, I know) that if I’m told I CAN’T have something – that’s all I want. All the time. I’m glad Jim let you keep alcohol and the holidays. Priorities, right? ;)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..DOHmesticMy Profile

7 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 30, 2011 at 1:17 pm

clearly. ;)

8 Hollie@lolzthatswim November 30, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Wow this looks so interesting! I’m so excited for to give it a shot! :) I think you’ll do super well. Will you be talking about this a lot on zee blog?
Hollie@lolzthatswim recently posted..Truthful Tuesday Rambles.My Profile

9 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 30, 2011 at 1:17 pm

most likely. and most likely complaining about all the trash I’d like to eat. ;)

10 Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) November 30, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I see 1 Tbsp of peanut butter listed under option 1. Do you realize how little one Tbsp is? Pardon me while I go shed a tear for you. ;)
Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..Perfectly Prepped Spaghetti SquashMy Profile

11 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 30, 2011 at 1:18 pm

oh yes. yes i do… I’ve been getting out my little measuring spoon every morning to top my english muffin. waaaaaah.

12 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy November 30, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Good luck girl. This is always the time of year I get inspired to eat healthier, which is really just cruel. But then it makes the holidays less destructive to my wardrobe, so meh…
Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy recently posted..This One’s For MeMy Profile

13 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health November 30, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Props to you! I’m the same way in that if I’m told I can’t have something it’s all I want haha. Can’t wait to hear more about it! And thank goodness you can keep the booze and holidays :)
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..30 Minute Strength WorkoutMy Profile

14 theAlmostRunner November 30, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I’m proud of you for even WANTING a plan! Every time I try a plan, I get tired of it within 2 days. Can’t wait to see how you like it. : ) Also, did your great butt get less great because you didn’t do leg strength stuff while marathon training or what? Look at me bein’ all inquisitive about your butt.
theAlmostRunner recently posted..Paperclip TreeMy Profile

15 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm

WEIRD that you ask that just as I’m working on a butt post for tomorrow. …you’re welcome.

16 Faith @ For the Health of It November 30, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Ooh, you’re so lucky to get to work with a professional. Good luck with your new meal plans…I’m sure you’ll make it through the holidays just fine.
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..31 Mile DecemberMy Profile

17 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts November 30, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Sounds intriguing pllease tell us more :)
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..I think it’s timeMy Profile

18 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 30, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I think Jim would be easy to listen to! :) It’s perfect timing – if you can eat healthy now, you can sustain it any time of the year.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..WIAW – Florence (Day One)My Profile

19 Meredith November 30, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Can you put the nurtition plan and options on the blog? I am also looking to eat healthier and would love some ideas.

Thanks!

20 Kelly November 30, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I’ve thought about meeting with a nutritionist to see what I should be eating better. Books are an okay start but I would love to have something more concrete. Although, I’m not really sure where to start or who to trust when it comes to that stuff. Ahhh!
Kelly recently posted..Polar Dashing Through the SnowMy Profile

21 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe November 30, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Ooooo! Best of luck! I’ve been trying to do a bit of a diet overhaul myself, incorporating more “clean eating” – I bought Supreme 90 Day workout from Walmart, and it came with a 90 day meal plan created by Tosca Reno. Now, I’m not following it religiously, but I’m incorporating her ideas and a few meals from the plan here and there. You can do it!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Have yourself a healthier holiday!My Profile

22 Jenn @ Peas and Crayons November 30, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Totally worth it if you feel like a rockstar afterwards! =) Good luck girly! I’m totally the same way!!!! If someone tells me NOT to eat something or paul eats something ahhhmazzzing infront of me [esp when he randomly gets ahold of potato chips] and says “not for you” I punch him in the belly and steal it.

tmi? haha! ive missed you!!!!!!!! where is my life going?!? bah!
Jenn @ Peas and Crayons recently posted..Put Your Party Pants On! [What I Ate Wednesday #45]My Profile

23 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 30, 2011 at 3:56 pm

haaha never TMI. I’ve missed YOU! maybe I’ll do a nutrition plan WIAW next week. ;)

24 Tina @ Best Body Fitness November 30, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Ohhhh…intriguing! I can’t wait to hear more and see how it all works for you. I definitely think there is somethign to be said for nutrition plans when striving for certain goals. They work…as long as they are balanced. Sounds like this one will be.
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..It Wasn’t NecessaryMy Profile

25 chelsea November 30, 2011 at 6:17 pm

That’s such a great learning opportunity to have a friend do that for you! If I could afford someone to do that for my I would hop right on that wagon because nutrition is my down fall for sure haha.

26 Amber K November 30, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Feeling like I’m depriving myself of something totally makes me obsess over whatever it is. I think it might actually be good timing because it can help you navigate this tricky time of year. I’m curious to see how it goes!
Amber K recently posted..Hangry : Feed Me NowMy Profile

27 Katherine @ Neon Blonde Runner November 30, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Love powerade zero…that’s some good stuff with some decent electrolytes in it.
Katherine @ Neon Blonde Runner recently posted..NO Cooking on ThanksgivingMy Profile

28 Kris | iheartwellness.com November 30, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Oooo what is this powerade zero?? I don’t think we have that here in Canada!!

I think eating healthy like you is just so inspiring for your bod! You know? You just feel so much more energy when eating clean :) I see some greek yogurt….I have yet to ever try greek yogurt and I feel I’m missing out ;)

xxoo
Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..Surprise Party CookiesMy Profile

29 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 30, 2011 at 7:54 pm

This is awesome! I can’t wait to hear all about it once you are done:D Good luck with it! I’m sure you will do great.

30 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com November 30, 2011 at 8:01 pm

YOU ARE HARDCORE!! This is so awesome and you are inspiring me to eat better now:) Can’t wait for more details gorgeous girl!
janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..Pacing for Racing and Things that Make me Incredibly Happy.My Profile

31 Reannan November 30, 2011 at 8:40 pm

you are so braveeee !! I have been thinking about creating a more specific diet plan also. right now i’m on the “everything in moderation except for peanut butter, hotsauce, and beer plan”. Which isn’t always the healthiest choice..

I’m excited to hear more about this!

32 Hayley @ Oat Couture November 30, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Good luck with this girl!! I love it! Such a fab opportunity for an over haul! Actually your inspiring me to stick with the raw / juice cleanse I’m trying now so thanks! The hard work will all be worth it! ;)
Hayley @ Oat Couture recently posted..Raw / Juice Cleanse – Day 2My Profile

33 julie November 30, 2011 at 9:56 pm

jim should hit me with his phone numbhaaaaaaaaaaa
julie recently posted..my mr. marathon take awayMy Profile

34 Rach November 30, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Oh my goodness, I love the Hunger Games! I just finished the third book this past weekend and the whole series is great! I am excited about the first movie coming out this Spring. :)

Also, good luck with your new diet changes! :)
Rach recently posted..Freezer Meals!My Profile

35 Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean November 30, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I’m psyched for you! How fun! Changes are good every once in a while. Good luck with the new nutrition plan!! You rock :-)
Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean recently posted..Week Three Challenge–H2O BABY!My Profile

36 Kristin December 25, 2011 at 12:00 am

Do you have any info you can give about the way Jim does e-training? Thanks :)