Sidewalk – 1, Alyssa – 0.

October 18, 2011 · 39 comments

This past weekend, there was the last long (12 mile) run.

And on that run, there were some casualties.

First day on my new feet, you guys.

One day, maybe the fairy of grace and coordination will bless me with some skills.

For now, I’ll be nursing my wounds while trying to stop calling to my mom to cry to her about how “my boo-boos really, really hurt.” Which may or may have not been how I spent my Sunday.

Fortunately, wine heals all. At least, Wine Fest did. ;)

Recognize that girl? And maybe a certain wine glass? Yes and yes. It was the best weekend ever.

Other than the part when I introduced my face to the sidewalk.

Rewind to Friday night: Right after my field hockey game, Colleen arrived in a flurry of excitement and hugs. It was that night that Colleen was introduced to the drink of Virginia Beach – the orange crush.

And it got two big tumbs up.

We went date-style and ordered the exact same dish – goat cheese pesto chicken with a side of sweet potato fries. Aaaand a dessert of froyo. I was way too hungry to bother with a picture before it was scarfed down.

Fast-forward to 7:30 a.m. on Saturday, when I headed out for a quick 4 miler before scooping Colleen to do 8 more (her PDR of 8 miles; my last long run of 12 miles..wahoo!). As I was jammin to a new playlist and dodging innocent passersby, my hands and knee decided they’d prefer to be scraped along the sidewalk rather than happily bouncing along to T-Pain.

Don’t worry, after I turned around and passed the people who watched me eat it right in front of them, I told them to “watch out for that sidewalk.” They were warned of its evils.

I now feel less awesome.

Colleen, ready for me to skip in the house and tell her it was time to go do 8 miles, was a little alarmed when the first words out of my mouth were “…does blood bother you?”

Fortunately, she dealt, I dealt, and after 8 more miles and a quick shower (ouch. “whoever invented steam sucks!“), we were in our happy place.

Colleen sported some extra bLyss Designs inventory.

And a wonderful fest was had by all.

Clearly.

‘Twas quite the special day, as October Wine Fest marks the two year anniversary of Lisa-Marie and my friendship. We celebrated over lots of fruity wine and cheese and crackers.

Colleen fit right in with the group from the start. I was right… we totally are twins.

My lawyer friends don’t dress the part or anything.

The saddest part of the day was when it was all over. It’s like the day after Christmas.

Or maybe LisaRee is just commiserating with me over my boo-boos.

P.S. I do not recommend demonstrating field hockey defensive stance with a large gash on your knee.

P.P.S. I do not recommend washing your hair with the gash on your hand.

P.P.P.S. I do not recommend attempting to remove band-aid from knee gash while running 4 miles two days after. You just might miss the bandaid and scratch the crap out of your open wound.

Like I said, I don’t feel awesome. I don’t care if you call me a baby, either.

1 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn October 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Girl. Klutzes unite. You guys are so darn cuuuuteee ahhh!!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..AHHH so caffeinatedMy Profile

2 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts October 18, 2011 at 3:35 pm

haha I like this post :) hehe

Hey maybe we will all run into each other when you come up for the marine corps marathon… I will probably be walking my 10k :( but I will be there :)
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Enough already!My Profile

3 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life October 18, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Ouch, your wounds looks pretty painful, but at least the wine killed all the pain and germs that may have entered into your body through them.

Wine cures all.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Shopping and Cinnamon BunsMy Profile

4 Sami October 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm

cutest.sweater.ever. where’d you find that!? sorry, i know i’m always looking to you for fashion tips….i’m a bit of a shopaholic.
Sami recently posted..Autumn Awhs.My Profile

5 Lauren October 18, 2011 at 3:58 pm

We are totally wound twins…last year I fell while running and got almost an identical scrap on my knee, elbow AND a hole in my palm!! And yes, it KILLED for days…I think I ended up wearing a bandaid on my palm because I kept hitting it and almost screaming.

You are cleared to whine about this!! :)

6 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries October 18, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I think a neighborhood “sidewalk reconstruction” petition is in order.

IT WAS SUCH A FUN WEEKEND! Next time I see you, you’ll be a marathoner!! :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..“Pick a Small Problem”My Profile

7 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 18, 2011 at 7:27 pm

GAAAAHHHHH. GAH.

8 Lauren October 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Those pictures make my leg hurt. And they also make me want to drink wine in the sunshine. You’re free to whine all you want and I don’t call anyone training for a MARATHON a baby!
Lauren recently posted..Hurried Car EatingMy Profile

9 Sarah OUaL October 18, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Bandaids are totally fall’s hottest accessory.

Still super jeal, btw.
Sarah OUaL recently posted..Chapman 5K with Team SparkleMy Profile

10 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 18, 2011 at 7:26 pm

still telling you to come visit and I’ll provide copious amounts of wine (or beverage of your choice)

11 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats October 18, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Ouch! Glad you were still able to keep running! Looks like you had a great time at Wine Fest!
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Life Bucket ListMy Profile

12 Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn October 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Wow looks like you had a super time! :-)
But sorry about your knee, I’m such a wuss about grazes myself!
Still I’m sure the wine and the lovely looking weather made up for it!
Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn recently posted..I’m StrugglingMy Profile

13 Lindsay @ biking before bed October 18, 2011 at 4:53 pm

We’ve all had our klutz moments. I few months ago I tripped while hiking… into a cactus. My brother had to help me pick the stickers out of my butt… oh sibling bonding at its finest. I love your wine fest pics… and your friend’s bow tie.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Shop til you DropMy Profile

14 julie October 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm

haha i think you kicked the sidewalks ass girlfrand. so jeal of your party weekend!!
julie recently posted..fiesta with the bestaMy Profile

15 theAlmostRunner October 18, 2011 at 5:12 pm

PAIN. FUL. that looks ridiculous. but i am so so jealous of your wine stuff. i mean, i need to be in VA.
theAlmostRunner recently posted..The RundownMy Profile

16 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 18, 2011 at 7:26 pm

see? I told you.

17 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry October 18, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Aww, you girls are so cute. Looks like a ridiculous time.
Sidewalk scrapes are the WORST! But it’s true, wine is the best cure for everything. One sip makes me feel warm and tingly everywhere and forget there is anything wrong in the world.
I am the klutziest of all the klutzes, so I can definitely see me doing that. Also, your poor iPhone :(
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Meatless Monday (feat. Black Bean Burritos)My Profile

18 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 18, 2011 at 7:26 pm

fortunately, that’s my iTOUCH.. soon to be outranked by a new iphone4s once my upgrade in november arrives. :)

19 Liz @ Something To Chew On October 18, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Ugh that looks ouchie!!! *vocab of 6 year old*

But the wine feat looks fabulous!! I’d love to hit up something like that. Wine = best invention.
Liz @ Something To Chew On recently posted..Thinking AheadMy Profile

20 LeeAnn October 18, 2011 at 7:02 pm

My birthday is the day after Christmas…so I love that day ;-) Totally love your blog!
LeeAnn recently posted..No 4:30 am wake up calls!My Profile

21 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 18, 2011 at 7:25 pm

oh, man! and I thought my january 8th birthday was too close to christmas!

22 Katy October 18, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Eeek, new follower here, and I’m almost totally in [pure platonic] love with you! I just moved from VA Beach like 6 months ago, too. Passing ships, I suppose. ANYWAYS. Love the blog and the energy. Hate the booboos! <3

23 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy October 18, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I am so clumsy too, I have fallen off every type of machine in our gym at least once. Looks painful though :(
Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy recently posted..Spicy Sausage & Spinach SoupMy Profile

24 Rach October 18, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Aww, what a mean sidewalk! I hope you heal up quickly, girl! I am forever being clumsy and injuring myself so I hear ya. Glad you had so much fun this weekend, though! :)
Rach recently posted..Italian Winter StewMy Profile

25 Claire @ let's go on a living spree October 18, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I am SOOOOOOOO ridiculously clumsy, seriously. I trip over anything/nothing and always seem to stub my toe or bang my arms or knees on stuff. I tell people that I am a strange contradiction: I’m athletic but ridiculously clumsy. So I totally know what it feels like to face plant ;-) Wine makes everything better and I’m glad you guys had a good time!!!!!!!!!!
Claire @ let’s go on a living spree recently posted..Back in the BeanMy Profile

26 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health October 18, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Aw, so sorry about your boo boo!! I totally would have whined about it haha. And I’m so jealous of your awesome weekend!! Wine fest looks like such a blast and right up my alley :)
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Revving Up Your Strength Workout and A Lush Nuts Giveaway!My Profile

27 Jenn @ Peas and Crayons October 18, 2011 at 11:12 pm

awwwwww we need to get you a boo boo bear! =) the little blue kind that heals all boo boos! well, the ones wine doesnt heal that is!

can I PUHLEASE get in on this? i’ll take a few scratches if I can come hang! <3

28 Brittany October 19, 2011 at 2:31 am

Wine totally makes everything better! I would probably cry if I fell like that, ouuuchh! Looks like you girls had a blast though !

29 Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files October 19, 2011 at 2:31 am

OUCHHH cuts on your hand are SO painful! I can’t believe you continued to run 8 miles after that, I’m so impressed! I would have stopped and cried haha But yes wine could definitely help make the pain go away, looks like you had an awesome time!
Chelcie @ Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Turkey Burgers oozin with CHEESEEMy Profile

30 Alexa @ SimpleEats October 19, 2011 at 2:58 am

I’m jealous!
1. That I wasn’t there to hang out with you guys
2. That you had so much wine.
Glad your boo-boos are better!
Alexa @ SimpleEats recently posted..Crazy Good GranolaMy Profile

31 ashley October 19, 2011 at 4:28 am

i had a fall last year that left me with very similar marks.. still got some scars from it… but oh no!! NOT THE IPHONE!!! here’s to healing up.
ashley recently posted..the cupcake classic.My Profile

32 Laura October 19, 2011 at 5:23 am

oh girl… i’ve been waiting for the fairy of grace and coordination to show up at my doorstep for years. if you find her, do be a gem and share? so glad to know i’m not the only one who uses wine as legit medication in times of need – and those battle scars have definitely constituted a time of need :)

33 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 19, 2011 at 12:35 pm

wine works miracles, doesn’t it? ;)

34 Diana October 20, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Ohh sister, been there, done that. Those sidewalks come up outta NOWHERE!

I’m so jeal of your wine fest shenanigans with Colleen, looks like a blast!
Diana recently posted..Who is that?!My Profile

35 Christina@WhoWearsShortShorts October 24, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I just signed up for my first 1/2 marathon ever! i can’t wait to rock your “13.1 done and done” shirt!

36 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 24, 2011 at 4:28 pm

YAY!! ooh, let me know how it goes. and good luck!