One Final Milestone

October 4, 2011 · 35 comments

I got so caught up in my Chris Brown excitement yesterday, I completely forgot to report some exciting news on the marathon training front.

That’s a done and done 22 mile run.

On Saturday morning, Anastasia and I awoke around 7 a.m. to hit the pavement for our final PDR before the marathon.

And since we both had watch issues last time (forgetting to start up the watch again after waiting at too many stoplights = bad idea), I left the watch running for the duration of the run, stoplights and water refills and all.

Would you believe me if I said it gets easier with every long run?

The best parts:

• We ran from my house to the oceanfront, way past the boardwalk. It’s actually running on the beach that makes me realize how great it is to live in Virginia Beach.
  • Neptune Festival was going on, so there was plenty people watching to be done.
  • My little field hockey munchkins were competing in a sand castle tournament, so we had a cheering section on the boardwalk.
  • The boardwalk water fountains were still turned on for fuel belt refills.
  • We each had three gu’s (I highly recommend the citrus Clif flavor. It’s our best flavor yet).
  • I had some great running tunes.
  • My recurring shin splint in my right leg completely disappeared.
  • From the belly-button up, I felt awesome.

The rough stuff:

• I was starving at mile 18. Like, tummy-rumbling starving. That’s never happened before. I could have dived into the Hardee’s we passed. And I hate Hardee’s.
  • The stop lights were brutal. Start-stopping is a no-go for the marathon. Noted.
  • My knees kinda hurt starting at mile 11.
  • My hips killed by mile 18.

Not long after a nice dual ice bath (because it’s more fun that way) and two nice (separate) showers, we were ready to refuel with a nice, hearty lunch.

Cold cut sub and chicken parm sub. Split three ways. Spectacular.

What is it with long runs and never being able to decide what to eat? It’s weird. I get this overwhelming desire to lay on my floor and cry because I’m so freakishly hunry, but nauseous at the same time, and I just can’t decide what it is that will satiate my hungry belly. It’s never really something I would typically want to eat (I can’t remember the last time I had a chicken parm sub).

And ya know how else we celebrated?

There she is. Lululemon in Virginia Beach. Just. Opened.

Apparently, Anastasia and I gracefully waddled into the store. The girls looked at us and asked, “Oh, did you guys work out today?”

Yeah. Just a light three and a half hour run.

After that trip, I am the proud owner of wunder unders. They promise a great, flexible lifetime guarantee, so I said yes.

For what I paid for you, you’d better not.

We even mustered up the energy to go out that night. But only after a huge lunch/nap/huge dinner/huge desserts, of course.

But only because I proposed the whole going out idea a la Aly in “What’s Your Number?”

So… we go daahncing? Ah?

So. All in all, training is going great. From here out on, mileage goes down. The only thing that hurts? My right shin and my left hip. I’ll take it.

4.2 miles to go.

4 weeks.

26 days.

Q for you marathoners: do your hips ever hurt after the long pavement runs? Did you go over 22 miles for your first marathon training?

1 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry October 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm

That is amazing. Congrats on your run and the PDR, you crazy running machine!
That’s so cute your field hockey team was kicking around the beach, that must have been motivating 🙂
I am pretty sure I would not be able to stop eating after running that kind of distance. I can barely stop eating after running any sort of distance… I totally understand that panicked “I’m so hungry but I don’t know what to eat!” feeling.

Wunder Unders are next up on my Lululemon to-buy list. Let me know how you like them!
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Spaghetti Carbonara PartyMy Profile

2 Marcia October 4, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Hello there! 🙂
Congrats on your PDR!
I have done 2 marathons and I think I topped out at 22 miles. I might have done that distance at least 2x before the marathons. I am sure my knees hurt when I reached between 18-20 miles. My hips usually hold up until after the super long runs. IF my hips hurt, it usually means i need some new shoes!
Happy running!
Marcia recently posted..*Monday*My Profile

3 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run October 4, 2011 at 2:29 pm

My last long run is 3 weeks prior to my marathon. And we are doing 22-24. I guess we are doing 22 but we can “choose” to do 24. hahaha. Yes. Let me go ahead and CHOOSE that. That run is in 2 weeks for me.

Oh, thanks for specifying the showers were seperate. 😉
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..WeekendMy Profile

4 Angela @ MyPinkyToes October 4, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Great run!!! My longest run before my marathon was twenty miles, and it also ended up being my BEST long run EVER! You are going to kill your marathon! Yay you!
Angela @ MyPinkyToes recently posted..Pretty Pretty Punters Go UndefeatedMy Profile

5 theAlmostRunner October 4, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I didn’t realize that tapers can go for, like, a month! Crazy awesome. TWENTY TWO MILES. Good thing you rewarded yourself with some ‘Lemon.
theAlmostRunner recently posted..I Need a ReasonMy Profile

6 Dorsa October 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm

wow you are amazing 🙂

Just thinking about it makes me want to pass out!

keep it up!
Dorsa recently posted..Surgery Day!My Profile

7 Brittany (healthy slice of life) October 4, 2011 at 3:35 pm

That so hungry but nothing sounds good feeling? Now you’ll know what it feels like to be preggers! 😉
On another note… 22 miles?! You’re amazing. I will channel you when I get back to wogging!

8 Lauren October 4, 2011 at 4:04 pm

22 miles is a-mazing!! Congrats on getting through it. My boyfriend is running a marathon this Sunday and topped out at 21 last week. It was the first long run I’d seen him go on where he actually seemed phased in any way. Usually he goes about his day and eats no differently than he would if he didn’t run at all. Freak.

9 Holly October 4, 2011 at 4:13 pm

DANG girl!! 22 miles- you are a freaking running ROCK star 😀
I never had hip issues with running until like a year ago- sometimes I get a really sharp pin point pain, but I usually just run through it. (not sure if that’s the best idea…?) I usually feel fine once I stretch it out.
& seriously, you really ARE a rock star- the fact that you ran 22 miles & THEN went out?!?!?! I’m impressed!
Holly recently posted..Baked Funfetti Doughnuts!!My Profile

10 Brittany October 4, 2011 at 4:27 pm

You are awesome!!! Congrats on the run!! I’d probably cry at some point during that run and I would hibernate for like 7 hours afterwards. I definitely wouldn’t have made it out 😉 haha

11 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com October 4, 2011 at 5:01 pm

AHHH YOU ROCKED IT!! I have the wunder unders too and I wear them daily!! Girl, CONGRATS! I am praying that your knees and hips cooperate!! You did that run in an awesome time. I hate getting hungry on runs! Not fun at all! Those sandwiches look amazing!
janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..Babysitters ClubMy Profile

12 Claire @ let's go on a living spree October 4, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Soooo great, congrats!!! OMG, if I lived in Va Beach I’d do all my training on the Shamrock Marathon course, it was so flat and beautiful to be by the water 🙂

Wooo, girl you ask some good questions: I have had major problems with my hips over the past two years. The pain comes and goes so I finally went to UVa’s Runner’s Clinic to get a 3-D modeling of my running gait and figure it all out. I’ve worked hard to land more on my forefoot and strengthen my glutes while stretching my hip flexors. The reason why hips seem to be more of a problem when running outside is that it might be more difficult to keep good running form (on a treadmill our feet are almost pulled back by the belt, so it is easier to do more forefoot running).

I think another culprit is the curve or camber of the running surfaces outside. If you are running on a slanted surface (a street or a sidewalk) over an extended period it will definitely affect your hips. I guess the average road slants about 7 to 9 degrees so the result is that you are running on a slanted surface where one leg is hitting the ground at a higher level than the other. This may lead to a variety of biomechanical problems.I try to run on a flat surface or in the middle of the street (when possible) so that I avoid the slants on either side.

Finally, I only ran 20 miles for my first marathon (Chicago 2008) and finished feeling great. But for the Boston Marathon I ran multiple 20 milers and one 22 miler. I guess research shows that you don’t gain much from doing a longer run than that (other than upping your chance for injury). Ya know what they say, it’s better to get to the starting line undertrained and healthy rather than overtrained and injured. Can’t wait to hear about your race (sorry for the freakin’ novel I wrote here, lol )
Claire @ let’s go on a living spree recently posted..Mas TapasMy Profile

13 Rachel @ The Avid Appetite October 4, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I am so impressed by you lady! Seriously, you are awesome! You are going to kill that marathon! I hope the hip/knee issue gets better for you 🙂
Rachel @ The Avid Appetite recently posted..30 Things by My 30th Year: 2 Month Plus UpdateMy Profile

14 Liz @ Something To Chew On October 4, 2011 at 7:31 pm

You’re freakin’ amazing. You know that, right? Well you are. I want both of those subs for lunch right now by the way.
Liz @ Something To Chew On recently posted..Big Bowl Of FallMy Profile

15 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats October 4, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Great run, girl! I’ve only trained for half marathons, but my hips and knees definitely start feeling sore when I run anything over 10 miles. I guess that’s what ice is for! 🙂
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Taper Week and Adopting a DogMy Profile

16 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness October 4, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Awesome run!!!! Good luck with your upcoming marathon 🙂
Jen@FoodFamilyFitness recently posted..Mamavation MondayMy Profile

17 Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) October 4, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I just died! A lulumon in VA beach? How lovely. Anyways-great way to get your run in girl. That is seriously awesome. 🙂
Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) recently posted..LockerRoom Nap TimeMy Profile

18 Easa October 4, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Based on the specs (never owned one) the 305 supports auto pause:

That’s a nice way to have it take out the stops for you without you having to think about it.

Food makes all the difference in how you feel after 15-20 miles or past that 2-3 hour initial phase where you burn up all your stored muscle glycogen. To go longer than that, you want to be eating before you reach that level of hunger. One of the tricks to the marathon is either running fast enough to finish before you bonk, or eating enough to manage the transition but not so much that your stomach becomes more of a concern than your blood glucose level.

With all of that said, _most_ of us eat very minimally in training at that distance, so _most_ of us feel pretty tired at the end, and _most_ of us eat a bit more in a race and therefore feel better by comparison.

Time is a better gauge than distance as far as marathon prep goes. The goal in training is to get close enough to the duration of your race effort that you are fully prepared for what you will experience. For a 4 hour race, getting past 3 hours and closer to 3:30 _should_ be a nice confidence boost compared to sticking near 3 hours. I believe a lot of that is psychological (which doesn’t mean it isn’t important, in fact it is the most important variable to train) so you find what works best for _you_. Some bodies are more sensitive to injury than others and some people can’t stomach a diet that is too high in mileage, while some of us can.

I’d say you’ve done your homework.

19 Amanda @ the beauty notebooks October 4, 2011 at 11:05 pm

What a day! Congratulations on your PDR. You are almost there! Lululemon and a fun meal out sound like the perfect ways to celebrate 🙂

20 eric October 4, 2011 at 11:47 pm

great post, kudos on the long run!
eric recently posted..THANK YOU!My Profile

21 Melissa October 5, 2011 at 12:43 am

gahhhh I want a LuLuLemon store by me SO BAD!! I finally buckled and bought my first pair of lululemon capris the other day….online of course, and I ADORE them. Congrats on the 22 miles, I’m sure you’ll rock the marathon as well 🙂
Melissa recently posted..I Dare You to MoveMy Profile

22 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie October 5, 2011 at 12:46 am

You and Anastasia are beasts….cute beasts. Way to rock the run!
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..Spaghetti Squash LasagnaMy Profile

23 Meghan October 5, 2011 at 2:32 am

22 was my longest training run, too! I never faced any real pain or soreness after/during any training runs. After mile 22 during the marathon my hips got super tight and my calves were so sore (from all the hills) I am 2 days post race all I have is just a little tightness in my calves still. Ice baths and foam rollers work wonders 🙂

24 Kate October 5, 2011 at 9:59 am

You are unbelievable/my idol 🙂

FYI – they’re opening a Lululemon in the promenade around the end of oct. in case… yanno… you wanna make a visit to jerz. ill always have my guest room available for you!!

25 Kristen October 5, 2011 at 5:51 pm

congrats on 22 miles!!!!
Ive only done 1/2 marathons, but my hips hurt sometimes after

26 lizzie October 5, 2011 at 10:02 pm

CONGRATS on your run!! you are aweesome girl!

27 Vicky October 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Good job!! Be careful with your hip, last time that I had hip issues my hip was serious trouble…i had run to much with not enough rest and had to take some weeks off 🙁

28 kaitlin @4loveofcarrots January 3, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I adore Janae and I will most def vote for you, you are an awesome runner!
kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted..Costa Rica part 2My Profile