More Advice [And Take This Survey]

October 7, 2011 · 24 comments

I know, I’ve given you guys a word of advice before. Thanks to that post, I have a daily Google searcher coming here for pictures of Ryan Gosling shirtless.

Just slaving away over here to provide quality content. Somebody’s gotta do it.

I just have a few words of advice to leave you with for the weekend.

Go hit Target’s clearance section. Now.

I pulled that little trick where I enter the store to return something and walk out $100 lighter (but none of you know about that, right?)

HOWEVER… I scored big time in the clearance section. 😉

Almost everything there was under $7. Thaaank you, Champion C9 (I’d venture to say it’s my favorite inexpensive athletic wear brand).

Oh, right.. and that coverup? I bought it in yellow when it first came out last Spring. Clearly, I need it in teal, too. Especially if that teal coverup is only $6.95.

Make these Savory Sweet Potato Fries.

The recipe I adapted comes from Oxygen, and it’s a winna. I made this for myself for dinner once and for a group last weekend (and they were a hit.. right, Lisa-Marie, Seth, Anastasia, and Rob?), and they got some rave reviews.

Serves: 2
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: ~35 minutes

• 2 medium sweet potatoes
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp ground cumin and paprika
  • 2 crushed garlic cloves
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt and ground pepper
  1. Cut potatoes lengthwise to create wide strips (I find the thicker I chop them, the less likely they are to burn). Keep the skin on for extra vitamins!
  2. Whisk egg white until frothy. Whisk in oil, cumin, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper.
  3. Add potatoes, tossing to coat. Spread on greased baking sheet.
  4. Bake in middle of 425°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes until tender and edges are browned.

I like to serve mine with honey mustard, but BBQ sauce and ketchup are delicious, too.

I need to advise someone to advise me to take my coaching down a notch.

I’ve become that coach who makes her kids run a mile with her, gets a little too whistle-happy, and jumps up and down on the sidelines during games.

I’ve just been strategically distracting them all with my sparkly BIC bands. It’s only then that they forget to complain.

Tell me what’chu, what you really, really want.

Take the short survey at the bottom of this post (or click here). Since designing my race singlet for the marathon (holycrapthat’sin23days) and designed shirts for all our spectator family members (our original idea was just to make them all wear one color so we could spot them at the finish line… then we got a little crazy), I’ve been playing around with t-shirts, sweatpants, tank tops, and wideneck sweatshirts with some funny running sayings on them. It occurred to me you all may be interested in some, too (thank you, Twitter repliers), so I thought I’d just let you tell me whatcha want. 😉

Happy weekend!

1 Marijke October 7, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Blyss t-shirts with glitter slogans????
Sign me UP!
Marijke recently posted..Honeymoon [part 1]My Profile

2 katie October 7, 2011 at 3:24 pm

GLITTER! I wanted glitter for mine, but don’t think I can : p

Love the shirt slogans!!!
katie recently posted..Weighted Bar { fitness }My Profile

3 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health October 7, 2011 at 3:34 pm

GLITTER fo sho :). You’re awesome!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Meatloaf and The Animal WhispererMy Profile

4 Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files October 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm

haha love the Glitter! The shirt ideas are so cute, especially the “I walk the puppy so she can run 26.2”
Chelcie @ Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Tips on Late Night EatingMy Profile

5 Chels October 7, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I love Target clearance, I bought a few dresses there last week for work and they were only six bucks! Best deal ever 🙂

6 Rachel @ The Avid Appetite October 7, 2011 at 4:24 pm

those fries look soooooo good! yum! happy weekend friend!
Rachel @ The Avid Appetite recently posted..Five Things FridayMy Profile

7 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com October 7, 2011 at 5:27 pm

LOVE THE SHIRTS!! Girl, you scored at Target, such GOOD stuff!! I have that cover up too. Now I am craving french fries so so bad!
janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..My most random dinner ever and a crazy race!My Profile

8 theAlmostRunner October 7, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I will most definitely be going to Target TODAY.
theAlmostRunner recently posted..It’s Done.My Profile

9 lindsay October 7, 2011 at 5:39 pm

great, like i don’t go to target enough on the weekend. OYE!!
lindsay recently posted..30 Minute Thursday & DefinitionMy Profile

10 Heather @ girlyeverafter October 7, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I have a love and hate relationship with Target. I love their stuff, but hate that they always seem to take half my paycheck. But I willingly give it. haha
Heather @ girlyeverafter recently posted..Carb Filled Friday and Guest PostingMy Profile

11 Beth (Well I'll Be) October 7, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I love the Target clearance section, you totally lucked out! Those sweet potato fries look amazing, I’ve never used egg while making these, but sounds great! Those t-shirts are hilarious!
Beth (Well I’ll Be) recently posted..Quick, Nutritious, And FlavorfulMy Profile

12 Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City October 7, 2011 at 9:27 pm

i love target so much! unfortunately the closest one to me is way up in Harlem!! you did really well, i love getting a good deal on workout clothes!!
Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City recently posted..Cheers to the Freakin Weekend!My Profile

13 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 7, 2011 at 11:51 pm

LOVE the “my sister runs faster than your mascara” one – so funny!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday – 3 day weekend styleMy Profile

14 kristen October 8, 2011 at 11:05 pm

LOVE target. I am completely jealous of your deals~!

15 ashley October 9, 2011 at 12:48 am

damns, i def need to get to target tomorrow!!!
ashley recently posted..15 miler & runtastic appMy Profile

16 alyssa October 9, 2011 at 2:47 am

BIG fan of the shirts! i’m not a runner so they aren’t really applicable to me, but i like how you aren’t whoring yourself out on them. they’re cute/wearable/practical! DO IT! xo

17 Ellie@fitforthesoul October 9, 2011 at 5:38 am

hahah that mascara tshirt is sooo funny! Very creative I say 🙂 And now you’ve got me craving sweet potato fries. Never heard of fries being coated in egg white!! I think I wanna try that!

18 Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn October 9, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Wow that’s a great load of purchases, I really need some shorts for my fitness classes!
And I’m seriously seriously craving some sweet potato fries now, why oh why were there no sweet potatoes in the shops this morning?! 😛
Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn recently posted..Winds Of ChangeMy Profile

19 Holly October 9, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Yep, they GOTTA have glitter. No questions asked 😉
Holly recently posted..Weather Ruined The PlansMy Profile

20 julie October 9, 2011 at 4:02 pm

omg i didn’t know you were a field hockey coach! fierceisticity lady friend. i love it. i used to play in middle school <—totes doesn't count BUT i was a defensive beast and used to leave with hack marks on my fingers, oh and one time a girl on my team accidentally whacked me in the head on a bus with her FH stick…

21 Baking Serendipity October 9, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I have a serious weak spot for the Target sale racks!
Baking Serendipity recently posted..Pumpkin Latte SmoothieMy Profile

22 Allison @ PickyEatingRD October 10, 2011 at 2:16 am

GLITTTTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR – YES!
Allison @ PickyEatingRD recently posted..Over The Top?My Profile

23 Lillian October 14, 2011 at 12:56 am

Hi, Alyssa! I just found your blog — which, BTW, is awesome. And OMG, I’m thrilled know that Target is having such an awesome sale! I’m seriously addicted to that store (I shouldn’t be let in without an escort), so I’ll take your advice and run with it. 🙂