Let’s Not Get Sick, Shall We?

October 13, 2011 · 31 comments

I hate getting sick.

Not that anyone truly enjoys getting sick.. that was a silly way to start a post, wasn’t it?

Since I have the worst allergies/sinuses of all time (I’m on a cocktail of ridiculous allergy pills, sprays, AND I get allergy shots), I typically always get some kind of “blech” this time of year. Sinus infections and colds are the worst, and I usually get sick when the seasons change… right after I go and get my flu shot.

According to FitSugar, there are 6 daily must-do’s for preventing the common cold. Since I don’t want to catch a cold from all you dirty birdies out there, I’m passing on the love. So you don’t get sick, and so I don’t get sick.

Here’s to hoping.

• Wash produce. Even if produce has a peel you don’t eat, make sure to wash before consuming. Bananas, mangoes, oranges, and kiwis have all been touched by many people: someone picked it, someone else packaged it, a fellow consumer touched it, the cashier picked it up, and the person bagging it also got their hands on it. If you eat fruit before giving it a good wash, well, it’s no wonder you come down with a cold.

I totally don’t wash my bananas (does anybody?).

• Disinfect commonly touched items. Make sure you disinfect items you use a lot like your phone, keyboard, mouse, doorknobs, light switches, handles on the fridge, microwave, and cabinets.

No worries here. I go complete Monica Gellar on my keyboard and work space.

• Keep up with your regular exercise routine. I know Fall often means busier schedules, but make exercise a priority to keep your immune system strong.

Oh, shoot. Looks like I’ve completely forgotten to exercise lately….. ……….

• Get enough sleep. Proper rest will give your body the energy to fight germs should they attack your system.

The thing is, I’m a natural night owl. “I got it from my mama.” I’m most productive at night, and it’s so hard for me to make myself go to bed at a reasonable hour, even if I know I have to wake up early. Womp, womp.

• Wash out your reusable water bottle once a day. I don’t mean just dump out the water and refill it again — disinfect your bottle, inside and out. It’s something that is touched and carried around by you every day, and since it comes in contact with many public surfaces (the lunch table at work, bottle holder on the treadmill at the gym, seat on the bus, etc.), who knows what kind of germs are lurking on it and getting into your mouth.

Know what’s gross? I had a middle-aged professor in college proclaim he had never washed out his coffee cup. Ever. “And I’m just fine.” Thankfully, I haven’t taken a page out of that guy’s book, and I wash out my coffee tumbler and Camelbak daily.

And a word to the wise – those of you with the blue-topped Camelbak straws? Pull that sucker off and clean inside there. If you’ve never done it before, you’re going to be amazed. And not in a good way.

• Wash your hands often. This is especially true after shaking hands with someone, before you sit down to eat, or if you’ve touched something others touch often like grocery store carts, gym equipment, or magazines in waiting rooms. If you can’t get to a sink, use antibacterial gel.

Check! This baby sits right next to my computer monitor in perfect view of my bored face. Every time I think about it, I moisturize and antibacterialize.

How’s that for multitasking at work? Mmm-hm.

1 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie October 13, 2011 at 1:57 pm

people wash bananas!? never thought of that
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted…Pumpkin ChiliMy Profile

2 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 13, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I’m scared of getting sick. People in my office keep coughing and sniffling. Yikes! Can I just walk around spraying ppl with disinfectant? Don’t think HR would like that…
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted…All Quiet on the Yoga FrontMy Profile

3 Sam@Sam Bock Illustration & Design October 13, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Wow. You sound like me. Every year (except when I lived out West) I pretty much die of severe allergies. Sinus infections, ear infections, you name it. This year, despite all of my precautions, I decided to get a month-and-a-half-long annoying cough. Supplemented with awful congestion. Allergy meds, cough syrups, green tea, Airborne, Sudafed, nasal sprays, Vick’s, Neti Pots, exercise….apparently not good enough this year for me! Three doctor’s visits, a round of antibiotics (and an extra one in case I need it later), and a steroid shot (!!!) to help the inflammation in my sinuses, and I am FINALLY feeling more like myself.

Should’ve washed my bananas!
Sam@Sam Bock Illustration & Design recently posted…Avocado, Shrimp, & Black Bean Quesadilla with Cilantro Chipotle "Sour Cream"My Profile

4 Liz @ Something To Chew On October 13, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I’m addicted to Bath and Body Works antibacterial lotion. Love love love.
Liz @ Something To Chew On recently posted…Turkey and Ten ThingsMy Profile

5 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries October 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm

You better not be sick this weekend! But I’m like you…I know a cold and/or sinus infection is lurking around the corner.
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted…I’ve Always Been Fashion Forward [Ha.]My Profile

6 Caitlin October 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm

LOL @ “poop and sadness”. Your speech bubbles always make me laugh!
I don’t wash bananas. I also am not that great about washing my other produce.
I keep an antibacterial hand lotion in my car, but need to get one for my desk at work too!
Caitlin recently posted…There Is Food In This PostMy Profile

7 Molly October 13, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I’m in an environmental health class this semester, so I’m about to nerd out…
Don’t use “disinfectant” or “antibacterial” anything…all it does is weaken your immune system and create STRONGER germs. (Also it’s not good for you.) Regular soap+water is the best way to keep everything clean!

8 Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files October 13, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I have never heard of washing bananas! And I should definitely thoroughly wash out my water bottle more often..I am catching a cold right now and i’m just over dosing on vitamin C and purel-ing (verb?) non stop!
Chelcie @ Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted…Yesterday’s EatsMy Profile

9 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts October 13, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I have never heard of people washing bananas. That is weird.

sorry you have bad allergies 🙁
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted…Finding my MotivationMy Profile

10 Hollie@lolzthatswim October 13, 2011 at 3:08 pm

My mom keeps telling me to wash my oranges and nanners. I have yet too. #Imsobass

11 Lauren October 13, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I’ve never thought to wash bananas! I don’t believe in getting sick. Just kidding, but I feel like part of being sick is mental. But chugging tea and Emergen-C and sleeping as much as humanly possible are all in my not getting sick arsenal.
Lauren recently posted…WIAW: I Can’t Say NoMy Profile

12 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry October 13, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Man, I just realized how amazing my immune system is because I never get sick and I never do any of those things.
Fine, I rinse my water bottle, but sadly (and grossly) I do not disinfect it very often. I better get on that. And washing my bananas.
NO GETTING SICK! Don’t do it!
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted…Chatterpaul’s Birthday CelebrationMy Profile

13 Ami October 13, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I used to ALWAYS get sick after I had my Flu shot. Then I stopped getting my Flu shot…then I stopped getting sick every year. Problem solved. YAY to no needles in ma body!

14 Sylvia @ frolic through life October 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I’ve never heard of washing bananas but I guess it makes sense. I use straw sippy cups for my son and if you don’t get in there and clean it out well it gets so gross! I love the hand sanitizing lotions from bbw. Hope your sickiness stays away!

15 Kathy October 13, 2011 at 4:36 pm

One thing I always get my sanitizer out for is in restaurants. MENUS and TABLES. How many people have handled that menu before you did. And the tables – think about how people grab hold of the sides when they sit down or get up. How many little kids have picked their noses or touched the floor and then touched the table before you. Even the back of chairs or the seat of chairs when people sit down, pull themselves in, and get up. I shudder to think. As I get older I get more germaphobic. Always on the lookout for potential germ holders!! Interesting about the water bottles though.

16 Dana Slagle October 13, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I work for a food safety company and we talk to restaurant workers often about how to stay well……..Rule #1 Wash your hands after you poop! (true)

Just thought I’d share that Alyssa! LOL. Stay Healthy!

17 Nicole @Sugar Coated Sisters October 13, 2011 at 5:34 pm

People are supposed to wash bananas??? And oranges? That’s so awkward!

Right after reading about the plastic waterbottles I took a big glug from my Camelbak… I’ll be sure to wash the shiz out of my waterbottle when I go home from college this weekend.

ps- your dog is so FRIKKEN adorable. Made my morning and the girl’s sitting next to me reading along 🙂
Nicole @Sugar Coated Sisters recently posted…Driving Up the 101My Profile

18 Sam @ owlmazing October 13, 2011 at 7:21 pm

After working in a grocery store I knew I must wash my produce. Not gonna lie though stuff like oranges and bananas it just doesn’t happen. Wonder how fun washing a pineapple / kiwi would be 😛 I think i’ll start washing EVERYTHING now though…I always get sick at the change of seasons too! I work in a hospital so i disinfect my hands like crazy.

19 katie October 13, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I am fighting off a little cold right now, but kicking it out before it gets worse! Vitamins and tea for me!

Muah!
katie recently posted…Pumpkin { boyfriend }My Profile

20 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run October 13, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I do a lot of that. Wash hands in the bathroom or when I’m about to eat/after I eat. I get about 5 hours of sleep a night, tho. Not much. I actually wash apples with a sponge and soap and water. The people that have touched those freak me out.
I’ve been sick once in the past SIX years. I don’t know what’s going on with me because my husband gets sick all the time and I never get it. And we don’t even sleep in seperate beds when we’re sick. Guess I’m just lucky! Tho, sometimes I wish I would get sick for the day off work/laying on the couch watching TV factor.
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted…American Horror Story in Two Minutes (Episode: Home Invasion)My Profile

21 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 14, 2011 at 12:01 am

Sleep is HUGE for me! And the water bottle thing is nasty. i used to be bad about washing mine…not anymore after one time realizing how gross things can get.

Hope you stay in tip top shape.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted…Not Your Typical ThursdayMy Profile

22 Bon Bon October 14, 2011 at 1:42 am

Eeek. I’m so hoping to get through the cold season without too many germs! Especially since we’ll have a new baby around. Hand sanitizer in every room:-) xoxo

23 Rach October 14, 2011 at 1:45 am

I have never washed a banana. It has never even occurred to me to do so. That’s kind of intense cleaning, but come cold and flu season, it’s really not bad advice!
Rach recently posted…Wreath Party!My Profile

24 Brittany October 14, 2011 at 2:24 am

I have never in my life thought to wash a banana. It makes sense though. I don’t even wipe down my keyboard. I really need to follow these rules ! haha Luckily I don’t get sick too much.

25 Laura @ prettylittlewords October 14, 2011 at 5:14 am

I’m pretty sure I’ve used the exact phrase “I feel like poop and sadness” several times in my life. Several…meaning many.
Laura @ prettylittlewords recently posted…Moving tips from a (non) expertMy Profile

26 Sami October 17, 2011 at 4:56 pm

i VERY rarely get sick (which i proudly attribute to my *mostly* healthy diet), but this past week,s something terrible hit my body and it only lasted like 24 hours. i felt like i had been hit by a truck. my body was SO achy i could hardly stand. thank GOD that’s over. i need to start being more careful about my water bottles…i feel like they never get washed well enough! or my blender bottle for that matter!

xo.