Kinda Better-For-You Tailgating Tips

October 25, 2011 · 23 comments

Have you guys heard of Crystal Light Pure?

You all know I’ve got a thing for Crystal Light, and Kraft Foods apparently heard, too. They sent me some Crystal Light Pure to try, and with the samples, I was provided with some Better-For-You Tailgating Tips from Crystal Light Pure Spokesperson Molly Kimball, RD.

With football season in full swing and college homecoming just passed this weekend, what better timing for some healthy tailgating tips?

Apparently not. To add some health to your tailgating life (and who can’t use some of that?), Molly Kimball suggests:

1. Take dipping beyond chips and queso by making your favorite creamy dips low cal with plain lowfat Greek yogurt in place of sour cream and mayo. Liven up plain old salsa by adding freshly diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro, or – even better – make your favorite salsa from scratch.

2. Serve dips with whole grain crackers and grilled veggies (think marinated and grilled asparagus, red and yellow peppers, zucchini and squash, and Portobello mushrooms). I’ve found that a grilled veggie platter nearly always goes over better than just plain raw vegetables.

3. Make finger sandwiches better by using whole grain bread, lean meats like turkey, ham, chicken, or roast beef, with thinly-sliced cheese and light mayo. Or roll turkey and veggies into high fiber tortillas, and slice into pinwheels. Quesadillas can be another not-so-guilty indulgence – just stick with whole grain tortillas, lean meats, reduced-fat shredded cheese, and pile on the veggies.

4. Healthy grilling doesn’t mean you’re stuck with just plain chicken. Seasoned, grilled and sliced, pork loin can easily become finger food. No buns or rolls needed. Beef or chicken satay can be lean options. And kebobs are always a hit, made with lean meat or seafood and skewered with veggies like tomatoes, zucchini, onions and mushrooms.

5. And stay refreshed and well-hydrated by sipping on naturally sweetened Crystal Light Pure. It’s sweetened with sugar and Truvia, a natural sweetener derived from the stevia plant, and has no artificial flavors or preservatives. Just tuck a few packets into your purse or pocket and you’re good to go!

The verdict on Crystal Light Pure?

My favorite Crystal Light Pure flavor was the strawberry kiwi. That and the grape flavor are deeelicious. I’m not a fan of the lemon, but I’d certainly buy the other two varieties.

…you know, just in case your main tailgating goal was to be king of the world instead of healthy.

I received a sample of Crystal Light Pure from Kraft Foods. All opinions I’ve provided are based on my own experiences and beliefs.

1 ChocolatePBCups October 25, 2011 at 2:22 pm

lol you’re hysterical. I love the comments on all the pictures, especially the last one haha. And these are pretty good tips!
ChocolatePBCups recently posted..Accent Vlog.. HollaaMy Profile

2 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts October 25, 2011 at 2:22 pm

haha nice. I have never seen that at the store.. well maybe I haven’t been looking for it. I might try… maybe…

I love tailgating :)
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Mood EnhancersMy Profile

3 Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files October 25, 2011 at 2:23 pm

this is great, love the tips and the picture of you shotgunning a beer haha side note I always use crystal light packets as mixers with vodka..but now to make the drink even healthier I’ll be on the look out for the pure version! :)
Chelcie @ Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Things Accomplished TodayMy Profile

4 Caitlin October 25, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Thanks for the tips, I’ll be tailgating this Saturday! The last pic made me LOL. I’m honestly not a fan of Crystal Light but am still trying to decide what lighter drink option I’ll go with. I love wine but drinking it at a tailgate seems a bit weird, so I may just go with a strong skinny cosmo. My dad makes the strongest, tastiest cosmos, oddly enough.
Caitlin recently posted..Playing Catch-UpMy Profile

5 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries October 25, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Is it bad that the first thing I thought of when I got mine in the mail was “Gee, this will be perfect for a low-cal mixed drink.”
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Tweet That?My Profile

6 Alyssa @ Don't Look Down October 25, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Seriously, shot-gunning a beer isn’t healthy? Darn it!

Not gonna lie, I’ve been known to stuff my face and drink lots of beer then watch the game and go right home and get into bed – Beer, food, and football induced coma.
Alyssa @ Don’t Look Down recently posted..sweet dealsMy Profile

7 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 25, 2011 at 3:26 pm

i definitely did not do that on saturday……

8 Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) October 25, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Shotgunning a beer is totally on my tailgate list… no shame.

PS- agreed- GRAPE IS DELISH!
Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..Seasonal Chicken Chili- Spice Advice NeededMy Profile

9 Sami October 25, 2011 at 4:19 pm

shotgunning a beer on the blog…classic! (:

i’ll have to try some crystal light! i’ll bet kiwi strawberry would be yummy mixed with some Malibuuu <3
Sami recently posted..The 700 Club.My Profile

10 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 25, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Great tips! Now if only I can follow them after having had a couple beers, I’ll be all set…
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Hardcore with HarbingerMy Profile

11 Sarah OUaL October 25, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Shotgunning is a talent and should never be looked down upon – healthy living or not.
Sarah OUaL recently posted..OLD & LAME (me & my phone)My Profile

12 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 25, 2011 at 7:35 pm

thank you. I’m glad I’m not the only one around here with her priorities straight.

13 Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn October 25, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Love this post, definitely some great tips!
I love the idea of having dips with grilled veg instead of raw, why have I never thought of that?
Your photos and captions make me laugh :-)
Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn recently posted..Four Again At LastMy Profile

14 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life October 25, 2011 at 7:39 pm

After shotgunning a few beers, healthy tailgating goes out the window. Not that I would know from experience or anything. ;)
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Weekend RandomnessMy Profile

15 Alexa @ Simple Eats October 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I knew SO many girls who drank Crystal Light and vodka in college, I couldn’t do it just bc I didn’t want to ruin how much I liked it minus the alcohol!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..StuffedMy Profile

16 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I’m honestly not a fan of crystal light + alcohol for that reason alone. I don’t want to ruin it for myself!

17 julie October 25, 2011 at 11:07 pm

dude you’re like minutes away from your marathon. please tell me you’re tailgating for that..

18 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 26, 2011 at 2:47 pm

totally. only that part comes AFTER the run. I’ll be sure to call you after I’m 4 beers deep.

19 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry October 26, 2011 at 12:39 am

Um, crystal light and vodka was pretty much my go-to drink all through college. My friends and I called it the miracle mix since you couldn’t taste the alcohol :) (yeah, dangerous). So obviously I am intrigued about the Crystal Light Pure! I am going to have to see if I can find it around herrre. Though I am more of a girl gal these days…and I love a good shotgun fest.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Jumping the GunMy Profile

20 Brooke October 26, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Girl you are hilarious :) I think my tailgating style is a little closer to you/your friends semi-healthy style than the tips suggest, haha!
Brooke recently posted..what i ate wednesday: breakfast additionMy Profile

21 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 26, 2011 at 2:47 pm

yeeeaaahh, ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.

22 Jenn @ Peas and Crayons October 28, 2011 at 8:31 pm

bahahahahaha!
Jenn @ Peas and Crayons recently posted..Chia Sesame SushiMy Profile

23 Lesley O. May 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm

The Crystal Light Pure lemon flavor happens to be my favorite ….but they’re all good and so much better not having the artificial sweetners. But I do also keep a stash of the Crystal Light Energy (you know how it is)….let me know if you want to try one: peach mango, wild strawberry, or citrus……