48 Hours Until My First Marathon

October 28, 2011 · 51 comments

…is it weird that it’s all I can think about, yet I still feel like it doesn’t quite seem real yet?

It should have felt real when my marathon training guide was complete.

It should have felt real when I received all my Zero: The Project to End Prostate Cancer gear for reaching my fundraising goal.

It should have felt real I grabbed the last few gels from the box.

It should have felt real when I laid out the singlet I designed with all my race day gear.

It should have felt real when all my bags were packed.

And it should have felt real when I teared up while creating my playlist (okay, it kinda felt real as I envisioned myself fist-pumping to “All I Do is Win” at mile 25).

5.2 hours of music should have me covered.

The truth is, it’s all been a blur since I decided to sign up and raise funds for prostate cancer in honor of my daddy, almost died in the extreme heat for the first 14 miler, learned I need more hydration for the first 16, felt great after the first 20 miler, wanted to dominate the world after 22, and completely ate shit on the sidewalk for my final 12.

Oh, the memories..

Then I got this text from Anastasia this morning:

And reacted as such.

Eff.

All was right again when I remembered the sight I’ll see on the sidelines:

Seriously. I dare you to try and look at that picture without smiling.

If you want to stalk me and make sure I don’t fall again or get distracted by the donuts at mile 23.5, you can track us by clicking here.

Hey, Marine Corps Marathon 2011

1 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat October 28, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I’ve been following your journey since you decided to run (since my dad had prostate Ca too) and I’ll be thinking about you Sunday! Have a blast, good luck, and I’m glad I could contribute to the fundraising efforts! :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Friday FiveMy Profile

2 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 28, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I remember that! thank you SO MUCH, Claire!

3 Vicky November 1, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Congrats!! So when are you running your next marathon? :-)

4 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 1, 2011 at 6:06 pm

kinda sorta soon.. maybe? :) I’d be all for doing one this winter, but I’m pretty sure I’d have no fun if I did it alone. and there will be no arm-twisting of my friends.

I already tried.

5 Jackie @ That Deep Breath October 28, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Good luck!! I’m sure you’ll have an awesome time!
Jackie @ That Deep Breath recently posted..Thursday TalkMy Profile

6 Pamela October 28, 2011 at 4:29 pm

That is a great playlist! I just downloaded some of those songs to add to my workout list. Good luck at the marathon!! :)
Pamela recently posted..Pumpkin SangriaMy Profile

7 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm

wahoo! thank you!

8 tori October 28, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Good Luck!!!!!!! I feel as though I am living vicariously through you! i don’t know that I’ll ever run a full marathon, but I like to see other people running them :) I also love your playlist!! I’m in my classroom and thinking about “All I Do Is Win” is making me want to jump up and dance!!! :)

9 katie October 28, 2011 at 4:45 pm

ALL YOU DO IS WIN!

I love you! Rock that marathon girl! I am so proud of you! You trained so hard for this day !

Your parents are awesome! I love that they are rocking the shirts! Having their support has to make you feel awesome!

Kick ASS!

Love ya!
katie recently posted..Hockey { date } nightMy Profile

10 julie October 28, 2011 at 4:58 pm

crazy crazy crazy CRAZY!!! kill. it. mama.
julie recently posted..protein powder wafflesMy Profile

11 Rachel F October 28, 2011 at 5:02 pm

THE BEST OF LUCK : ) Remember every moment and get ready for one of the most unforgettable days/races of your life!

12 theAlmostRunner October 28, 2011 at 5:11 pm

GET ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! SO excited for you.
theAlmostRunner recently posted..People Love ThatMy Profile

13 Lauren October 28, 2011 at 5:18 pm

SO pumped for you!!! You are going to do amazing! And I love love love that picture of your parents–cutest thing ever :) Ahhh cant wait to see your recap!!

14 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com October 28, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I will be tracking you! Girl, I am SO SO SO SO SO SO SO excited for you!!! You are going to do incredible. You are all set to go and the music playlist is the most important:) LOVE HOW CUTE YOUR PARENTS ARE and that picture really made my day!
janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..Great News (for me at least)….My Profile

15 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry October 28, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Aww, muffin tits, this made me a little teary. I LOVE that picture of your parents. Their shirts (and expressions) are awesome.
You are going to kill it, and I am so excited to hear about your recap! And I am not just saying that to make you feel nice, I MEAN IT! I had excitement bursts for you the entire time I was reading this. GOOD LUCK!!!
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Cold Weather RunningMy Profile

16 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 28, 2011 at 5:56 pm

GOOD LUCK!!!! You’re going to rock it!!!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Never Have I EverMy Profile

17 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 28, 2011 at 6:13 pm

You’re going to do great. Extra points if you fist-pump during the race. :)
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Foodie Friday: Cheese Please!My Profile

18 Daner October 28, 2011 at 6:15 pm

yayayayay!!!! im all signed up to receive those texts!!!!!

19 Sam @ owlmazing October 28, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Wow good luck! It is going to be so great, its so awesome what you are doing! I love the picture of your parents, so cute :)
Sam @ owlmazing recently posted..The past two daysMy Profile

20 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts October 28, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Good luck lady! Ill be walking my McM 10k! See ya!
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Our little PumpkinMy Profile

21 Kristine @ Running On Hungry October 28, 2011 at 6:51 pm

YES YES YES! You are going to CRUSH this marathon! I’m so pumped for you!

Cannot wait to read ALL about it!
Kristine @ Running On Hungry recently posted..Social Life vs MarathonMy Profile

22 Emily October 28, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Can I steal your parents when I run my first marathon? Or maybe just their shirts! Too cute. Good luck!!
Emily recently posted..Service…Serve-usMy Profile

23 Taylor @ Delish World October 28, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I just got butterflies for you! Good luck! I can’t wait to read the race recap. I’m sure it will be an amazing experience! :)

24 Rach October 28, 2011 at 7:46 pm

You are going to kick butt! SO proud of you, girl!

Also, your parents are adorable.

And finally, I love your yellow bag. It makes me think of sunshine. :)
Rach recently posted..More pumpkin love!My Profile

25 Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files October 28, 2011 at 7:49 pm

rum for 26.2 miles HAHAH. You’re seriously going to do an awesome job! GOOD LUCK! can’t wait to hear about it:)
Chelcie @ Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Guest Post!My Profile

26 Karla October 28, 2011 at 7:54 pm

OH damn Alyssa! I’m sooo excited for you. I cannot wait to hear how it goes–you’re going to do soo well. You’ve put the work in now go out there and enjoy it! =)
Karla recently posted..A Day in the LifeMy Profile

27 Kailey (SnackFace) October 28, 2011 at 8:08 pm

AHHH!!!!!! Good luck, Alyssa!!! It’s been amazing to watch your training. I can’t wait for your full recap!!!! GET IT GIRRL!!!!!!! xoxoxo
Kailey (SnackFace) recently posted..Living My BrandMy Profile

28 Easa October 28, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Faster is the perfect song, hope you have the acoustic one somehow.
Easa recently posted..CollisionMy Profile

29 Lauren October 28, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I am so excited for you!!! Can’t wait to read all about how you rocked your first marathon and hopefully see more pictures of your parents all excited on the sideline :P Good luck!
Lauren recently posted..Things I Learned This WeekMy Profile

30 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 28, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Good luck, good luck!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Sorry I’m Not SorryMy Profile

31 Jonesy October 28, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Im so excited for you! I totes plan on tracking you and i don’t even care how creepy that sounds! You’re going to be awesome!

32 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 31, 2011 at 3:56 am

I love your creepin’.

33 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health October 29, 2011 at 12:09 am

Ahhhh omg good luck!!! I’m so excited for you! You are going to ROCK the marathon pretty girl :).
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Friday FavoritesMy Profile

34 Hollie@lolzthatswim October 29, 2011 at 1:37 am

Good luck girl! You are going to rock that marathon! :) :) :)
Hollie@lolzthatswim recently posted..College SwimmingMy Profile

35 Gina B. October 29, 2011 at 10:08 am

Good Luck!!! :) Your parents are adorable, and look so happy and proud!

36 Vicky October 29, 2011 at 11:28 am

Hey Alyssa, good luck tomorrow! I’m also running a marathon tomorrow, in the Netherlands. Remember that the most important things are: enjoy the race (even when your legs tell you to stop after 30k), finish without injuries and be proud!!!!!!! Vicky

37 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 31, 2011 at 3:57 am

WOW! the netherlands?! how did it go?!

38 Vicky October 31, 2011 at 9:05 am

I live there :-)
It went well, 3 h and 49 min. My legs are hurting now… How did yours go?

39 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 31, 2011 at 10:11 pm

oh my gosh.. are you kidding? that was MY time, too!

40 Kate October 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I may or may not have teared up at that pic of Bob and Ginny.. they’re so cute and awesome and what you are doing tomorrow is incredible.

And I’m so glad that Motion City made it on your play list :) After all these years haha think of me when that song comes on… I’ll be tracking you!

I’m sure all your hard work will pay off. Best of luck!! <3

41 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 31, 2011 at 3:55 am

DUH I’d think of you when it came on! ;) I can’t hear that and not think of you and our early morning drives to high school. ooohhh, the days. love you cake.

42 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries October 29, 2011 at 1:18 pm

YAYYY!! I’m SO excited for you!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Fitting It All InMy Profile

43 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 29, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Good luck, girl!!!! And I love the photo of your parents. They are so cute!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Dinner through the eyes of a child.My Profile

44 Easa October 30, 2011 at 10:43 am

Good luck today, run brave, soak it in, especially the weather. Inner strength conquers any challenge.
Easa recently posted..CollisionMy Profile

45 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness October 30, 2011 at 11:48 am

Good luck!!! Can’t wait to read your re-cap, and your parents are awesome!!!!! Love the picture of them :)
Jen@FoodFamilyFitness recently posted..Busy DayMy Profile

46 Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement October 30, 2011 at 4:12 pm

That photo of your parents kills me. Too cute for words.

You will rock the marathon and look fabulous doing it. Love your monogrammed luggage.
Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement recently posted..New York Here I ComeMy Profile

47 Amanda October 30, 2011 at 4:16 pm

hi! i’m a semi-new reader (finally coming out of the woodwork and commenting!) and have been following your marathon training journey and just wanted to say good luck! you’ve worked really hard and you’ll rock it =) it’s very inspirational what you’re doing for your dad. i can’t wait to read your marathon recap!

48 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 31, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I’m so glad you did, Amanda! and thank you so much.. recap coming soon. ;)

49 Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn October 31, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Oh I really really really hope it went amazingly for you and that you had a fantastic time!
I bet you were brilliant, I can’t wait to read the recap :-)
Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn recently posted..Boo!My Profile

50 Allison November 1, 2011 at 1:03 am

Hi! You’re totally friends with my friend from HS, Anastasia, and you know my friend Ericka through the blog world (http://www.sweetlifeericka.com/) so I figured I’d say hello and great job on the marathon and SUPER CUTE blog! I write one too, check me out.

Allison
Allison recently posted..32 days…My Profile

51 Angela @ MyPinkyToes November 1, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I’m in love with your parents…those shirts are priceless!
Hurry up and write your recap! I want to hear all about it!!!
Angela @ MyPinkyToes recently posted..Well Hello There NovemberMy Profile