WIAW… again!

September 21, 2011 · 26 comments

Remember how I said I am awful at participating in the WIAW link party because I repeat meals way too often?

And I’m too lazy to make my food look pretty?

Well… you know how I like a party.

And I hate being left out of a good one.

So here we go, Jenn. I promised I’d attend soon. I’ll be a good party-goer. I won’t even throw up in the closet.

[Bonus points to whomever got that reference before clicking the link... I'm still obsessed with that glitter drum action. No shame.]

Clearly, I’m way too big of a snackah to capture it all, but here’s some of what I ate on Thursday of last week. ;) There are certainly some un-pictured raisins and almonds, Power Bar Bites, and a whole lotta peanut butter.

Enter, my almost-every-day work breakfast of a bagelthin, strawberry cream cheese and ‘nana, topped with cinnamon or the awesome TJ’s sugar/chocolate/coffee bean grinder.

That is, when my boss doesn’t shove donuts down my throat like last Friday (it would be rude to not greet Fall with a pumpkin spiced doughnut. Right? Right). And I’ve been capitalizing on the Keurig K-cups my favorite coworker has been giving me with my breakfasts. :-D

Another recent favorite? The Simply Bar the company so generously sent me to try. I’m a BIG fan. That flavor is peanut butter chocolate (an obvious winner)… a protein bar faceoff is soon to come.

My summer lunches have still been goin’ strong for at least three days of the week… but with the temperatures dropping, I’m foreseeing a change-up of routine.

That would be chopped apples, plums, and nectarines topped with Dannon Vanilla Greek Yogurt, cinnamon, and another appearance from the awesome Trader Joe’s grinder. Can’t stop, won’t stop.

Other than my habit of eating peanut butter from the jar, I’ve been hitting up the peanut butter-slathered tortilla heated in the microwave lately. Quick delicious post-gym snack? Yes. Same goes for the Laughing Cow Light. I just can’t ever get enough of that stuff.

And THEN.

My new favorite creation that never, ever looks good on camera. I’m sorry, tofu scramble, but you will never be photogenic.

Poor guy.

I’ve been experimenting with different ways to try tofu.. just ’cause I wanna. I like meat; I’m not going vegetarian (ever. sorry.), but I just wanted to try my hand with tofu.

I used whatever veggies I had on hand for this creation, plus some egg for a protein boost.

Tofu Scramble

Serves: 1
Prep/Cook Time: 10 minutes

• silken tofu, mashed
  • 1 egg
  • squash, chopped
  • zucchini, chopped
  • garlic, finely chopped
  • onion, chopped
  • mushroom, chopped
  • Garlic & Herb Laughing Cow Light
  • Borden Cheddar Cheese
  • garlic & herb seasoning (I use Perfect Pinch)
  • BBQ sauce
  1. Mash the tofu up with a fork and throw it in the frying pan on low
  2. Add the chopped squash, zucchini, broccoli, mushroom, onion, and garlic
  3. Then, add the egg and scramble the whole mixture together
  4. Finally, top everything with some garlic & herb seasoning and Garlic & Herb Laughing Cow Light with some cheddar cheese
  5. Drizzle generously with BBQ sauce. Trust me on this!

I challenge whomever makes this to make it actually look good on camera. Lord knows I had an issue with this one.

My night was concluded with a bedtime meal of Fiber One honey squares and Kellogg’s Special K lowfat granola poured over Chocolate Silk Light. So-o good.

Here’s something for ya: Do you taste a difference between squash and zucchini? I have always said they taste the same. BUT, while chopping them the other night and sneaking a few raw slices, I realized an old friend of mine was right (we had a long-standing debate over this for quite some time). Zucchini is a little more bitter. Am I crazy, or has anyone else noticed this, too?

1 julie September 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm

i thought squash WAS zuchinni! hahahaha whoopsies i do usually say yellow summer squash and green zuchinni but i always thought they were technically the same thing just different colors?
julie recently posted..the tour.My Profile

2 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat September 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I only eat my zucchini cooked, but I think it does have a slightly different flavor than yellow squash. The tofu scramble SOUNDS (and probably tastes) delicious, that’s what matters!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..What I Ate (and Why I Want Guest Posts) WednesdayMy Profile

3 Sweet and Savvy September 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I Think You do a great job at making your food look good! :) and I totally love laughing cow light! I’m so stuck on the original Swiss flavor, I haven’t done much branching out.

4 Kat September 21, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I dont eat raw veggies, but I love squash and zucchini. I agree that they taste very similar. Love that you use chocolate milk in your cereal!! I do that too :)
Kat recently posted..WIAW & a recipeMy Profile

5 Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) September 21, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I eat the same things but yours look twenty thousand times better. I add chocolate milk in my cereal or cocoa powder ha. ;)
Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) recently posted..Dogs and Swimming vLogsMy Profile

6 Julia @ The Coffee Crazed Teacher September 21, 2011 at 2:51 pm

chocolate milk in my cereal?! GENIUS! I am going and buying some chocolate almond milk tonight to go with my bare naked cereal, that’s what’s for dinner!
Julia @ The Coffee Crazed Teacher recently posted..DaliMy Profile

7 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 21, 2011 at 3:11 pm

be sure to report back with how much you adore it. ;)

8 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts September 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I have never actually tried either of them raw.. I think the texture of squash and zucchini are different. mm but I love em both :)

I actually think zucchini is sweeter… I might be making that up.. but I will need to confirm my hypothesis with an actual experiment.
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Too soon for hot chocolate?My Profile

9 ALYSSA - FASHION FITNESS FOODIE September 21, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I’ve never eaten zucchini raw but i think they taste the same when cooked!

It would be rude to not welcome fall with a pumpkin spice doughnut. So glad you did.
ALYSSA – FASHION FITNESS FOODIE recently posted..Vegan Vegetable Mac & “Cheez” CasseroleMy Profile

10 Lauren September 21, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I’ve always wondered how you scramble tofu. Isn’t zucchini a type of squash?? I ate zuccini and yellow squash yesterday but to be honest, I didn’t pay attention to the differences between the two at all ha ha. It’s rude to turn down *anything* pumpkin spice flavored.
Lauren recently posted..WIAW: I Am the Carb QueenMy Profile

11 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun September 21, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I keep forgetting to try a tofu scramble. I bet i would love it! Yours sounds good. :)

And also – Laughing Cow is my best friend. Love that stuff. Such good flavor and so versatile.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Too Many Options!My Profile

12 lindsay September 21, 2011 at 7:51 pm

youre like me, too lazy to take pictures of ALL my food but still like to PARTAY! whoo!

TOfu scramble it up woman!
lindsay recently posted..My Yoga Story and WIAWMy Profile

13 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 22, 2011 at 3:11 am

hahaha. I love us.

14 tiffany September 21, 2011 at 8:17 pm

i’ve also been experimenting with tofu lately!
im loving baked tofu marinated with sesame oil, teriyaki sauce, and honey…delish!

tofu scramble with mushrooms, red bell peppers, onions…seasoned with coconut milk and jarred tiki masala sauce. can’t get enough of this!

it’s also good as a ganache: melted chocolate chips, mashed tofu, and a splash of vanilla soy milk..that’s the kind i’ve made before and it’s so good! i’m sure it would be even better with pb but i didn’t have it around the apt at the time.
tiffany recently posted..motivation refueled!My Profile

15 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 22, 2011 at 3:10 am

oh wow. I need to try all of this. and I still haven’t tried baking it! do you use firm tofu for baking?

16 Holly September 21, 2011 at 8:39 pm

WHERE oh where did you get that sunflower bowl??? I HAVE to have one. Like now :)
& too funny- you & your Special K granola!!! :D I LOVE cereal with chocolate silk- so so so good- wayyy better than just ordinary plain milk. Yum.
Yes, I agree about zucchini- it is a bit bitter. I like them both, but prefer squash.
Holly recently posted..Put on HoldMy Profile

17 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 22, 2011 at 3:10 am

pier 1! i have a set of four… one is yellow, one is purple, one is red, and one is orange. :)

18 Alexa @ Simple Eats September 21, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I don’t really like zucchini actually. I mean maybe if it’s roasted and slathered in BBQ sauce…does that count? ;)
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..BBQ Chicken ChiliMy Profile

19 Lindsay @ biking before bed September 22, 2011 at 2:14 am

I’m so with you on the lazy picture taking… when I’m hungry… get out of my way. the camera is not on my mind. I am excited for the protein bar face off. Can we submit contenders?
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..WIAW: Raspberry EditionMy Profile

20 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 22, 2011 at 3:09 am

of course!

21 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry September 22, 2011 at 3:07 am

Looks like a yumfest all around. My fave is the PB + warmed tortilla! That has been my go-to snack as of late. So easy peasy.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Samesies WIAW (Featuring a Giant Cake)My Profile

22 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 22, 2011 at 3:08 am

me too! I probably have it three times a day. I try to control myself by tearing off pieces of the tortilla. normal?

23 Lizzie September 22, 2011 at 12:30 pm

i love your wiaw!! all your food looks amazing!!!!!
Lizzie recently posted..Guest Post–ED Struggles {Healthiful Balance}My Profile

24 Sami September 22, 2011 at 4:35 pm

you’re right! zucchini & squash do taste different. i think yellow squash is definitely sweeter.

xo.
Sami recently posted..Sutures, Foramen, & Processes, Oh My!My Profile

25 Hannah@mindrunningwild September 22, 2011 at 5:47 pm

You’re so right about the Z and S. I am positive they’re different because I steamed both last week and thought the same thing!
What is the TJ grinder? I’m curious because you love it so much. One of my favourite combos is fruit and yogurt like that! I also use more than one kind of fruit, it’s fun that way!

26 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 22, 2011 at 7:50 pm

it’s a chocolate coffee sugar grinder! click the link and you can see the grinder in more detail.