The Half Marathon We Didn’t Rock ‘n’ Roll

September 7, 2011 · 24 comments

This time last year, Anastasia and I had just completed our second half marathon together.

2010 Virginia Beach Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon

This year?

2011 Virginia Beach Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon

We did other things instead.

Cheering and eating/drinking > running.

Apparently, some girls think 20 miles of running at one time warrants eating whatever the heck they want.

That fantastic spread comes from Virginia Beach’s own Doc Taylors. Famous for their breakfasts and $2 mimosas.

The Rock ‘n Roll was my least favorite half marathon of the ones I’ve run. It’s pricey, it’s crowded, and there’s very little swag involved. Anastasia and I figured since we’re so far into marathon training, we’d save some money by sitting this one out and completing our 20-miler the day before.

So, we went in support of the boys instead. πŸ™‚

Rob and Jim ran for the Virginia Beach chapter of Team Hoyt, a foundation started by Dick Hoyt, and his son, Rick, who compete together in marathons and triathlons across the country to help the disabled become more active in the community.

It was one of the coolest, most inspiring things I’ve ever seen.

And only these boys would set a half marathon PR while pushing a wheelchair (seriously, they’re machines).

Those two happy campers were completely content cheering on all the half marathon finishers.

And if you’re unlike me and know your running celebrities, you’ll be impressed to hear we got to see Ryan Hall up close and personal.

I learned quickly from Anastasia: He is a sicknasty American runner who finished fourth in the 2011 Boston Marathon as the fastest American.

I bet all the elite Virginia Beach runners were pissed when he waltzed up to that start line talking about this “warmup” half marathon he decided to run.

His half time on Sunday was 1:03:02. You know, only over half an hour faster than my best ever half time.

His half marathon PR? 59:03. NBD.

(source)

Whatever, Ryan. I’d rather sit and cheer you on with my omelet and mimosa, anyway.

And if you’re wondering if we had a second breakfast post-marathon…

It may have happened.

We may not have rocked this Rock ‘n Roll as far as the pavement is concerned, but I’d say we did a pretty solid job of rocking and rolling the marathon-training hunger monster.

1 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts September 7, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Solid food marathon you guys! SOLID πŸ˜‰

hehe
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted…Must get back on Track!My Profile

2 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run September 7, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Oh noes! I’m running my first Rock n Roll in 2 months. And then another a month after that. I’ve heard good things so I hope I like it! Well, not the crowded part.
And I can’t even run 7 miles in 1:03. I want to trip him. I mean, congratulate him.
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted…S!#t My Husband Draws – NecklacesMy Profile

3 theAlmostRunner September 7, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I saw Ryan Hall at the Country Music Rock N Roll expo this year! Also, FOOD! I was going to say more about Ryan Hall but I can’t concentrate. I need those breakfasts!

4 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries September 7, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I.love.you.
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted…Big News [Am I Crazy?!]My Profile

5 Angela @ MyPinkyToes September 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm

This post is so cute! I love that you still went and were cheerleaders! So fun!
Angela @ MyPinkyToes recently posted…What Are You Really Good At?My Profile

6 Sam September 7, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I was just reading about ryan hall in runners world yesterday! that is so cool. I can;t believe how fast he can run, holy cow. & thats really cool that your friends pushed that guy in a wheel chair! What a good cause πŸ™‚
Sam recently posted…labour day schmabour dayMy Profile

7 Allison @ Happy Tales September 7, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Whoa… did you get to TALK to Ryan Hall?! Heh. ALSO. I love that you had 2 brekkie’s in support of your friends (and mimosas? Oh HECK yum!) . That’s true support, right there. Gotta love the marathong appetite — Ohhhh yeahhh
Allison @ Happy Tales recently posted…What I’m Falling ForMy Profile

8 Hannah September 7, 2011 at 8:12 pm

awesome job eating! best part after a good run!
margaritas are definatly a good thing to drink AFtER finishing a marathon to help rehydrate as well! πŸ™‚
Hannah recently posted…Team Philly Race TeamMy Profile

9 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com September 7, 2011 at 8:52 pm

AMAZING JOB on your 20-miler!! AHHH You saw Ryan Hall…JEALOUS!! He is crazy fast! Okay, those bfasts are making me drool!
janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted…The Spinning that Didn’t Happen….YET!!!My Profile

10 Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola September 7, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I think you rocked that half marathon πŸ˜‰ 2 breakfasts and $2 mimosas? Yes, please!! I don’t actually know who Ryan Hall is but apparently he is very fast and hot πŸ™‚

11 Allison @ PickyEatingRD September 7, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Agree with the crowdedness of the RnR races. I roll with headphones when I run so there really is no huge draw to sign up again. I did the first one that was in Chicago and since then the price has increased $40! No gracias.
Allison @ PickyEatingRD recently posted…Why I Left My PT JobMy Profile

12 Julia September 7, 2011 at 11:19 pm

hahaha you crack me up with your convo bubbles πŸ™‚ Ryan Hall really is ridiculous. Who can run that fast? No I! You run too fast for me and give me complete inspiration to keep running. You go girl with that whole wheat wrap!
Julia recently posted…Fun-Filled TuesdayMy Profile

13 Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) September 8, 2011 at 12:57 am

OH MY GODDDDD.

I AM SO JEALOUS OF YOUR LIFE. My lifetime goal is to marry Ryan Hall. That is all.
Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) recently posted…Fours A ScoreMy Profile

14 Faith @ For the Health of It September 8, 2011 at 1:07 am

Holy JUNK that’s a huge pancake!!!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted…Chocolate Zucchini Bread OatsMy Profile

15 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy September 8, 2011 at 2:15 am

I like your idea :). Food, drinks and a little girl time is perfect on the weekend. And..that pancake is huge!!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted…A Day of FirstsMy Profile

16 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry September 8, 2011 at 2:55 am

Agree. Eating/Drinking > Running.
2 breakfasts = #winning.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted…A Little Boot Camp Recap (Sans Hair Tie)My Profile

17 Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel September 8, 2011 at 3:35 am

Lol, I love the above comments- see how excited we all are about your ravenously winning eats versus the race!! Cheers, we’ll drink to that! πŸ˜‰

xoxo <3
Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel recently posted…Engage Your BrainMy Profile

18 Corrie Anne September 8, 2011 at 4:55 am

Oooh! That pancake looks incredible! And I like the Ryan Hall jokes! You crack me up!
Corrie Anne recently posted…My Lewis & Clark Running Buddy + A Special Cameo AppearanceMy Profile