Recovery

September 19, 2011 · 41 comments

Half of the trick to marathon training is the recovery period between runs. It’s a time when taking care of your bod is crucial.

Which is why my foam roller gets so much love every single night. And sometimes mornings, too.

Only I don’t typically do it in a UPS hat. That’s only when I run over to Jamie‘s house to play with her foam roller and feed her wine.

And I’m becoming more and more acquainted with the ice baths.

After my rainy 13 miler on Saturday, I filled up the tub, poured in some ice, and drank coffee in my hoodie. Like a really cool runner. I swear, ice baths do wonders for aching legs.

Something else I’ve been giving a whole lotta love to?

I wish I was kidding when I tell you I go through two cartons of Chocolate Silk Light a week. Chocolate milk is the perfect recovery drink, and I feel like I’m lost if I don’t have some after I run.

It has double the carb and protein content of water and sports drinks, which is perfect for replenishing tired muscles. The high water content replaces fluids lost as sweat, which prevents dehydration. On top of that, it’s got a nutritional bonus of calcium with a little sodium and sugar, which helps retain water and regain energy. Boom. Go drink some chocolate milk.

I love it plain, in cereal and/or granola AND in smoothies.

And almonds are always in my drawer at work. Apparently, runners should get a handful of these several times a week to get their recommended Vitamin E that’s kinda hard to find.

I had a humongous bag of smoked almonds in my drawer about a month ago… they were gone in four days. I couldn’t stop eating them. I’m never buying them again. It was a big problem.

And egg whites make regular appearances in my meals from day to day.

(source)

The only thing I tend to miss? The yolk. I’ve been conditioned to enjoy eggs without the yolk, since I know how much cholesterol is in that tiny little yellow ball. According to my Runner’s World, egg yolks have almost ALL of the vitamins. The yolks are basically empty calories. By eating the yolk, you’re getting Vitamins A, D, B12, calcium, iron, and protein. Plus, studies show egg-eaters have less cases of heart disease than those who avoid eggs altogether.

I’m changing my ways, guys. I’ll be eating the yolks now. Promise.

And, of course, Peaaannuuuuut, peanut butter (jelly)!

That baby is my favorite Peanut Butter & Co flavor to date. I’m pretty sure we’re all getting more than enough of this stuff for ample recovery. It’s full of fat, protein, and fiber. Sounds good to me… all I know is I can’t really live without it.

Also according to my recent Runner’s World issue (which I read as Mama and I got pedicures on Saturday… still loving this gifted subscription), other great foods for runners are black rice, brazil nuts (gosh, I never eat those). lentils, and molasses.

Guess it’s time to start making wild rice bowls garnished with brazil nuts, lentils, and dressed with molasses.

But not really.

1 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries September 19, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I haven’t had the need to come close to an ice bath, but I don’t think I stretched enough after a “long” run on Friday (I feel stupid saying that to you) and my legs were hurtin’ for certain this weekend.
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..What $75 Looks LikeMy Profile

2 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 19, 2011 at 2:09 pm

you’re never stupid. the definition of long run is YOUR longest run for the week. so you win. ;) I always have a problem if I don’t stretch properly afterwards, too.

3 Lauren September 19, 2011 at 2:05 pm

All your recovery foods are some of my favorites! Eat the yolks! I actually learned in one of my nutrition classes that new studies show the cholesterol in the eggs don’t effect our cholesterol as much as it was previously thought.
Lauren recently posted..Schweddy HikingMy Profile

4 katie September 19, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I just shivered at the ice bath pic! ha! So cold!!!!!

I love SILK Almond Milk! I never tried that chocolate milk by them, I will have to!

Happy Monday love!
katie recently posted..Memory { day }My Profile

5 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 19, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I’m honestly a huge wuss to cold (I’m always freezing and people love to point out my obnoxious goosebumps), but I promise, ice baths are so worth it. and if you drink coffee while you’re in, it’s not bad at all. ;)

6 sbock1124 September 19, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I love Peanut Butter & Co.! My fave USED to be Dark Chocolate Dreams, but White Choc Wonderful has taken over. I’m dying to try the Cinnamon Raisin Swirl…haven’t found it by me yet, may order it online!

And that Silk Chocolate milk is amaze. Obviously, I am addicted to anything chocolate.
sbock1124 recently posted..The Friday FiveMy Profile

7 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts September 19, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Oh man I don’t know if I could ever take an ice bath.. eeek.

Also I really need to find a store that sells Peanut Butter & Co. because I have been itching to try it!
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..I love lists!My Profile

8 Jamie@cupcakedynamite September 19, 2011 at 2:45 pm

bahahhahaha i love you in danny’s ups hat :) it matched so well that night.. i’ve never tried that pb&co flavor!!!!
Jamie@cupcakedynamite recently posted..i just felt like runnin’My Profile

9 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) September 19, 2011 at 2:52 pm

ive never had the bees knees!!.. defs loving the egg white AND PEANUT BUTTER frequency.. obvs
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..How to manage life and HAVE fun doing it!My Profile

10 Sam September 19, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Lmao at the lentils, brazil nuts, and molasses. That’s one recipe i WON’T be trying ;) Yeah turns out the egg yolks are quite good for you! TBH I never stopped eating the yolks though…they are just the best part! Good thing they are full of vitamins and stuff too…cuz I would never stop eating them!
Sam recently posted..Less On Schedule than Previously Thought.My Profile

11 Karla September 19, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Seeing all your posts about marathon training get me excited to start my cycle! Silk chocolate lite is the best EVER! As soon as I get a new debit card (somehow I got some fraud action..) I am going grocery shopping…where I will also pick up the new RW magazine. I haven’t gotten my fix in a long time.
Karla recently posted..Monday BluesMy Profile

12 Angie September 19, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Foam roller = bomb.com
Angie recently posted..A-R-R-R-G-G-H-H-H-H-H!!!!!!My Profile

13 Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) September 19, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I have been making gingerbread pancakes which include molasses!

Ha. Anywho-

When I read that article in RW about eating egg yolks, I def tried to integrate more of them into my diet. They are so good for you-yet I tend to not have a lot of whole eggs in my diet. Except if it’s in quiche.
Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) recently posted..Holy Hills of HellMy Profile

14 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 19, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Hollie, I ALWAYS want your quiche so badly.

15 Sami September 19, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I wish I could have more soy in my diet…thanks to my friggin’ thyroid, I have to steer clear most of the time :( I do love unsweetened almond breeze, though! I’ll have to try the chocolate version of that. The best nut butter I have ever had was Justin’s Maple Almond Butter. Please try it. If you don’t love it, I’ll shave my head or something (:

Haha.

xo.
Sami recently posted..‘Tis The SeasonMy Profile

16 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 19, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Haha, I love you- thank you for making me laugh on this Monday morning (afternoon??). I love PB and Co! The Bees Knees is a fabulous flavor :D .
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Pumpkin GoodnessMy Profile

17 Claire @ let's go on a living spree September 19, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I love my foam roller too! I take it everywhere: to the gym, on vacations, etc :-)

I try to force myself to do ice baths but I just can’t! My feet and lady parts just get too cold!!!! How can I force myself to just do it???!
Claire @ let’s go on a living spree recently posted..Body saying YES! Knee saying…well, okayMy Profile

18 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 19, 2011 at 5:48 pm

are you keeping your clothes on when you do it? and are you doing it RIGHT after you run? I literally walk in the door and turn the water on and make coffee. once the water is just high enough to cover my legs, I get in with all my running clothes still on (plus a hoodie), and then pour the ice over my legs and drink my coffee. I’m not usually that cold!

19 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun September 19, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Love the recovery part of training. Eating is always good. ;)

And is that peanuuuuutttt peanut butter in reference to old school Mary Kate and Ashley. I remember them having a song that sounded like that I would dance with my sister to. Clearly I stayed 7 years younger than my true age thanks to her. LOL
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..A Puzzle For You With A Prize For ChampionsMy Profile

20 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 19, 2011 at 7:52 pm

it sure is.

I may or may not mentally sing that every single time I eat it.

21 julie September 19, 2011 at 6:30 pm

okay several things need to be covered here:
1. you need to eat egg yolks and let them run over everything. i hear the new thing is runners eating runny eggs ;)
2. you NEED to start stocking up on cocoa roasted almonds. i hear that runners run faster if they eat cocoa roasted almonds.
3. i also heard that consuming a peanut butter jar a day AND dipping cocoa roasted almonds into your nut butter increases your chances of finishing first place as a marathoner.

…just some food for thought ;)
julie recently posted..bachelorettes, booze & bootyMy Profile

22 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 19, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I’m making you my new trainer and life coach.

23 Jenn's Adventures September 19, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Stir in a tablespoon of molasses in your cup ‘o coffee — it actually doesn’t taste bad. Otherwise, drizzle it on your granola — it is soooOooOooo good for you, definitely sneak it in your diet routine:)

24 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm

genius! now I need to figure out where to buy it….

25 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat September 19, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Have you tried the cinnamon raisin? I can’t get enough! :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Miscellaneous MondayMy Profile

26 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm

YES. but I honestly like “peanut buttery” pb better!

27 Alexa @ Simple Eats September 19, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Chocolate milk seriously is the best thing after exercise. Beer is actually supposed to be a good one, too. Now if only that meant 3 beers. (Or wine, in your case!) :)
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Signs of FallMy Profile

28 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm

if you look closely, there’s some beer in that ice bath picture. ;)

29 lindsay September 20, 2011 at 12:13 am

oh i easily go through 2 cartons of almond a week, and i drink it straight for the carton. Classy I know.
lindsay recently posted..My “mon” day.My Profile

30 Hannah September 20, 2011 at 1:35 am

i did NOT stretch after my long run on sat and i am feeling it. was literally running between an appointment, a run and anther apt. I did take an ice bath with a nice cup of HOT tea.. only way to survive!! :) um chocolate soy milk– my life!
Hannah recently posted..be good to yourself..My Profile

31 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy September 20, 2011 at 1:58 am

I read that molasses was a good source of iron awhile ago..who woulda thought?
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..The Dreaded MondayMy Profile

32 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 20, 2011 at 12:25 pm

oooh! I need to go find some.. I’m low on iron.

33 Reannan @Hotsauce and Handstands September 20, 2011 at 2:12 am

I am so happy that I’m not the only one who drinks a ridiculous amount of soy milk per week! Also, I keep hearing more and more about ice baths. I might have to stop being such a baby and just give one a try.

34 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 20, 2011 at 10:12 am

I just bought a foam roller, and I’m loving it already!!

Question for you … how long do you usually stay in the ice bath? Thanks!! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Who signed us up for this anyways?My Profile

35 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 20, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I usually stay in for about 20 minutes or so. :)

36 Faith @ For the Health of It September 20, 2011 at 11:56 am

Brazil nuts are awesome but they’re just SO freaking expensive! Like $14/pound expensive!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..{Five Mile-}StonesMy Profile

37 Lizzie September 20, 2011 at 12:23 pm

i am toatally obssessed with silk chocolate light soymilk too…it’s soo good and i love just pouring myself a glass and relaxing :D
Lizzie recently posted..Eats n’ OutfitsMy Profile

38 Allison @ Happy Tales September 25, 2011 at 3:30 am

Confession: I have never taken an ice bath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am too scurred. BUT! I stretch and foamroll like a mofo… and I honestly am never really sore afterwards (or the next day or days following, for that matter). I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything? but i probably am… wahhh i’m a baby!

39 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 26, 2011 at 12:06 am

no way! if your stretching is doing the trick, I’d say you’re good. ;)

40 kristen September 29, 2011 at 3:01 am

I tried my first ice bath today. It was AWESOME!

41 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 29, 2011 at 3:20 am