Laying Down the Law.

September 1, 2011 · 26 comments

As of today, I’m “Coach.”

Gimme a visor, a pair of those sporty sunglasses I never wear, some too-long shorts, and a whistle. You can find me on the fields with a couple dozen middle schoolers armed with and sticks and protective goggles.

So. It looks like beating won’t be a disciplinary measure, huh?

You see, I’ve been working hard on getting my head in the game. My sister used to tell me that she was a mean teacher because she had to . . . if she wanted anyone to listen to her (she’s taught 5th grade for a long time).

Looking back, all my younger teachers and coaches I had growing up were walked all over if they were too nice.

And we all know someone around here is too nice.

I’ve gotta get my game face on.

I need to lay down the law.

That game face is around here somewhere…

My stick is ready to touch some grass. It’s spent too long underneath my bed arming me from unwelcome intruders (Red Eye style).

I’ve got my clipboard of fun (read: practice plans).

My whistle is at the ready.

At 2:30 p.m. today, I’ll be laying down the law.

Go dolphins!

1 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry September 1, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Good luck on your first day of coaching! I can understand why you’d have to be mean…in theory…however, I think if you just be you those girls will respect you. When I was a supervisor in a bookstore (bad comparison, I’m sorry), I was everyone’s fave because I was the most easy going. Sometimes it works!

Also, I work for Ontario’s high school sports association, which means we run all of the provincial high school sport championships – including field hockey! Our champ is in the beginning of Nov. Will you and your gals have a chance to make it to your state championship?!
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Fit to Strip?My Profile

2 Faith @ For the Health of It September 1, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Aww, you’ll have so much fun with your kidlets! Middle school was my favorite age group – gotta have a feisty personality to make it work though (and you obviously do, hah!)
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Is the Added Sugar Epidemic Over?My Profile

3 Jill is Active September 1, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Good luck at your first practice! I know you’ll find that fine line between being the coach everyone loves and being someone they all listen to! Such fun that you’re able to do this — I wish I time to coach a basketball team!!

Can’t wait to hear how your first day goes 🙂

4 Dorsa @ Mixed Tape September 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Good Luck! and stick to your guns! BE MEAN!
Dorsa @ Mixed Tape recently posted..Vancouver Part 2My Profile

5 sara @ the foodie diaries September 1, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Have fun! I oplaye dsoftball in high school and I would love to be a coach, but it’s true you have to be tough otherwise your team won’t respect you!

On a completely random note, I saw something on PerezHilton about JT and Jessica Biel being in Canada together and there was a line where he wrote “have you guys been there for the past month!?” and I wanted to be like NO because my friend Alyssa saw him at the gym!!!!!!!! Be jealous. Hahahaha but I didn’t.
sara @ the foodie diaries recently posted..WIAW: Smoothies and Sweet Potato FriesMy Profile

6 Claire September 1, 2011 at 3:01 pm

That is GREAT! Lay down the law! By the way, I love reading your blog because the posts are short, hysterical and I have an equal love for a glass (or three) of wine! Keep up the good work and get the game face on…I don’t have one either 😉
Claire recently posted..If You Have Nothing Nice To Say…My Profile

7 Alaina Johnson September 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm

your facial expressions are priceless. I also have an album of weird faces. lol good luck coaching!
Alaina Johnson recently posted..Hitting the PavementMy Profile

8 Lauren September 1, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Go get ’em, lady! I mean Coach 🙂
Lauren recently posted..WIAW: Girls DayMy Profile

9 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com September 1, 2011 at 4:08 pm

AHHHH SO SO FUN!! Go dolphins! You are going to be the best coach in the world and I am like you when it comes to being too nice and had to lay down the law too! Have fun today gorgeous girl.
janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..Broken Bones and an Overflowing Plate.My Profile

10 Rachel @ The Avid Appetite September 1, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Congrats on your gig! Give ’em the mean face! Sounds like it will be so fun 🙂 Good luck.
Rachel @ The Avid Appetite recently posted..9 Things For Your Labor Day PartyMy Profile

11 Sami September 1, 2011 at 4:38 pm

congrats on the coaching position! i’m sure you’ll lay down the law just fine 😉

xo.
Sami recently posted..Solo BarsMy Profile

12 Sam September 1, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Aw cool, have fun! I love your photos for this post haha, so awesome. I think they will love you!! I mean…sticks and glitter, right?
Sam recently posted..WIAWMy Profile

13 Heather @ girlyeverafter September 1, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Good luck coaching! That would be so much fun. It’s always great to have a coach that actually played rather than someone just giving orders with no experience!
Heather @ girlyeverafter recently posted..September Already?My Profile

14 Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola September 1, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Love your “game faces”!! Good luck on your first day of coaching!! My friend is teaching for the first time this year and she said that she felt she had to be stricter too starting off so that the kids would respect her! I’m sure you’ll be great 🙂
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..Girls Night is Good for Your HealthMy Profile

15 Ali @ Ali Runs September 1, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Good luck Coach!! 🙂 My dad is the football coach at the high school where I graduated. He is definitely on the scary side when he coaches, but when he comes home he is sweet as pie (unless the kids do something to really bug him out). Have fun!!! Coaching is such an awesome experience, I really hope to get involved once I’m done with grad school.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Enjoy LifeMy Profile

16 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy September 2, 2011 at 1:38 am

Hope it went well! You never know if kids are going to listen or not…it’s just one of those nerve wracking things!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Impromptu Date at Orange LeafMy Profile

17 Lisa @ I'm an Okie September 2, 2011 at 2:15 am

look at you you badass! I love it! congrats.

PS: next week is the week I am mailing your dresses. I’ll be emailing you for your address. I already lost it. Sheesh.
Lisa @ I’m an Okie recently posted..UpdatesMy Profile

18 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles September 2, 2011 at 2:18 am

Aw, congrats! You are going to be an amazing coach!!!
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..September SicknessMy Profile

19 Brittany @ LessBritt MoreLife September 2, 2011 at 3:07 am

YAYY!!!! how awesome 🙂 You’re gonna be one badass coach! love you!
Brittany @ LessBritt MoreLife recently posted..Life’s happeningMy Profile

20 Lizzie September 2, 2011 at 3:08 am

Good luck girlie!!!! Your players are gonna love you!
Lizzie recently posted..Nut Butter Cups+My First Giveaway!My Profile

21 (what runs) Lori September 2, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Ahhh! How fun!!! You’re gonna be an AWESOME coach! Rock on and have a great time with the kids!

Takes some work to get your game face on… er… or find it! I just started teaching something similar and it took a session to feel comfortable actually “laying down the law” or finding myself being authoritative. 😉

(cute pics, by the way!)
(what runs) Lori recently posted..Transitions to a New LifeMy Profile