Get It Right [Grammar Edition]

September 28, 2011 · 36 comments

I own up to it. I do.

Hi. My name’s Alyssa, and I’m a grammar/spelling nazi.

My good friend Abby tagged me in the above graphic on Pinterest. ‘Cause she knows I’m constantly correcting her grammar.

As a former college newspaper editor and lifelong grammar nazi, I can’t stop.

Just get it right, guys.

I’ve said my piece.

P.S. I may or may not have had to Google that phrase. “Piece?” or “peace?”

P.P.S. In this instance, it’s “piece.”

1 Suzanne September 28, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Oh, thank you times a million. A couple others: the plural of “it” is “its”, without a comma. Also, the general misuse of semicolons. I see that and I nearly burst a blood vessel. IT’S A CONJUNCTION! YOU CAN’T PUT A SEMICOLON AND “AND” IN THE SAME PHRASE!
Suzanne recently posted..Post-Triathlon Workout PlanMy Profile

2 Blog is thE New Black September 28, 2011 at 2:38 pm

OMG! YOU ARE HILARIOUS. I can relate all too well. One of my BIGGEST pet peeves? When people split up the word “another,” like “a whole nother” thing. “Nother” isn’t a word. STOP IT! Poor grammar is sheer laziness!
Blog is thE New Black recently posted..Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry ButtercreamMy Profile

3 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts September 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm

haha too funny.

What brought this on?
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..LeftoversMy Profile

4 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 28, 2011 at 2:45 pm

oh, just the utter lacking of knowledge of (or complete disregard for) grammar rules in general. :)

5 Hannah September 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Haha, I love that fourth picture.
Hannah recently posted..Mix-Tape Monday.My Profile

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Too funny! I’m with ya though, improper use of “there” and “your” drives me insane!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Lemony broccoli apple raisin saladMy Profile

7 Alyssa N September 28, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I think I always thought that last saying was I’ve said my peace. Like now that I’ve said what I want I can have peace in my life. But I guess piece might make more sense.
As a side note about grammar, an old roommate of mine decided to make a budget and she labelled the binder “Dollars and Sense”, I was hoping it was a pun on the words, but I didn’t want to ask because I figured it probably wasn’t and I wouldn’t be able to control my laughter.
Alyssa N recently posted..Mystery GrainMy Profile

8 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm

hahaha. that’s when you get really wide-eyed, try not to snort, and walk away.

9 Kailey (SnackFace) September 28, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I KNEW there was a reason I felt connected to you: http://www.snack-face.com/2010/02/03/grammarazzi/

We are the same person. Except I don’t run.

10 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm

omgosh, now I love you even more. we ARE the same person. running totally doesn’t set us apart. and if it does, i’ll just stop so we can continue to be twinkies.

11 Ali @ Ali Runs September 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I must admit, it took me the longest time to get the hang of definitely vs. definately. I’m not sure why that was so hard for me to correct, but I’m so happy I finally did. I’m totally with you on being a total grammar/spelling police. Sometimes I read blog posts and literally cringe from the amount of errors there are.

That being said, I usually try to proof read my posts at least twice, but I’m sure there are times when I miss some.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Friday Knight 5kMy Profile

12 Lara @ TresLaLa September 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Oh, man… The ‘irregardless’ thing KILLS me. I was about 25 when I corrected my 50-year-old Vice President, who happened to be an MD and an attorney, on the correct use of regardless. I don’t recommend that… But judging him silently for the next 3 years at that job: priceless.
Lara @ TresLaLa recently posted..Tuesday Funday!My Profile

13 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health September 28, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Oh I love you :D. I do like to get my grammar right, but sometimes I just don’t really have the time to proof read my posts…oops, yes I did just admit that haha.
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Banana MuffinsMy Profile

14 Lisa @ My Blonde Moments September 28, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Love this post! Love love love.

15 Katie @ Faith&Funfetti September 28, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Love this!! I also hate when people use the word ‘nothing’ instead of ‘anything’. For example: “I didn’t do nothing wrong.” Blah.

16 Nikki September 28, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I love this! I hate when people use incorrect forms of words. Such a pet peeve of mine! Thank goodness others understand.

There is a difference between a typo and incorrect grammar!
Nikki recently posted..Caramel Apple Time!My Profile

17 katie September 28, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Oh girl, I wish I was able to say that I had good grammar always, but nope, pretty much stinks, lol! Sometimes when I post too fast, It happens , but I try to catch it by proofreading!

Love you! So bummed I missed fit chat!
katie recently posted..Berry Amazing Protein { Wrap }My Profile

18 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy September 28, 2011 at 5:17 pm

some days my husband won’t even talk to me because I’ve corrected him so many times, and it will not even be noon yet.

It’s hard being so grammatically intelligent.
Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy recently posted..Lust ListMy Profile

19 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries September 28, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Hahah! I love this! I am SUCH a grammar Nazi. It’s bad. But oh so good.
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..22 Years Ago TodayMy Profile

20 Natalie September 28, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Grammar is my first love. Don’t tell my husband. It took me two years before I stopped using correct punctuation and spelling in my texts. With every omitted apostrophe, I die a little inside.
Natalie recently posted..“The Meatloaf!”My Profile

21 Katy @ HaveYouHurd September 28, 2011 at 6:31 pm

hahahahahahahaha <—- that is me laughing an 'ish ton at your (I did it right!) incredibly hilarious illustrations of grammar nazi-ism.
Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..A Few Firsts: Wine Tours & QuinoaMy Profile

22 Soo @ Little Miss Fitness September 28, 2011 at 7:15 pm

This is so funny. :) I love it. Note to self, make sure I proofread before posting!!

23 Jazz September 28, 2011 at 7:57 pm

# 2 Lol! The straight face is a secret weapon, it expresses so much without a touch of audio.. :D
Jazz recently posted..Medical AssistantMy Profile

24 Liz @ Something To Chew On September 28, 2011 at 8:37 pm

THANK YOU!!! I can’t stand incorrect grammar. Seriously. It makes my blood boil.
Liz @ Something To Chew On recently posted..What I&apos;m Lovin&apos; WednesdayMy Profile

25 Kace September 28, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Also add to the list: then and than, affect and effect, “me and my friends…” no, it’s “my friends and I”, and – my own personal blood curler – good vs. well. You do GOOD things (I did a good deed, this is a good book) you do things WELL (I did well on this test.) Superman does good – we do well.
Kace recently posted..Yay For Planning AheadMy Profile

26 Lauren September 28, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I’m a grammar nazi too! English major, what can I say? Two, to and too is probably my biggest pet peeve. Although, definitely bothers me too. Get it right, people!
Lauren recently posted..WIAW: At the ZooMy Profile

27 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life September 28, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I’m a total grammar nazi too! On the bright side, my boyfriend’s writing has greatly improved because of my grammar nazi ways. His professor commented about how much he’s improved. There are benefits!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Kicking off a Five Day WeekendMy Profile

28 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness September 28, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Best post ever. It drives me batty when grown men and women can’t spell simple words or misuse words.
Jen@FoodFamilyFitness recently posted..WIAW: Lazy Bum EditionMy Profile

29 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com September 28, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Crap. You have got to stop reading my blog:) Or I could just pay you to proofread each and every post before I post it.
janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..Workout Battle WoundsMy Profile

30 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 29, 2011 at 12:50 am

you so don’t count. for some reason, you make it work, janae. ;)

31 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 29, 2011 at 12:56 am

When I first read this post, I IMMEDIATELY thought of Janae, because she always comments on her own grammar/spelling haha! But you’re right, Alyssa … for some reason, Janae just doesn’t count! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..WIAW and my glorified “Noodle.”My Profile

32 Tiffany @ texan on the run September 28, 2011 at 11:43 pm

YES. AMEN. THANK YOU.
Tiffany @ texan on the run recently posted..2 kinds of peopleMy Profile

33 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie September 29, 2011 at 2:04 am

wut up. u totes naild dis.
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..Skinny Baked Potato SoupMy Profile

34 kristen September 29, 2011 at 2:38 am

Im guilty of your/ you’re. I apologize haha.

35 Brittany September 29, 2011 at 3:15 am

Oh alyssa! This is awesome! I’m not so crazy about the grammar, but somethings drive me cray cray! Your/ you’re; where / were; they’re / there!

36 Lizzie September 29, 2011 at 12:28 pm

hahahaha! love this! unfortunately i have pretty awful grammar…
Lizzie recently posted..Blogroll!My Profile