For The First Time

September 6, 2011 · 49 comments

For the first time, Anastasia and I ran a 20 mile training run on Saturday.

Who caught that Dane Cook reference?

I don’t know if it was the perfect weather, the new route, the proper hydration & 2 energy gels, or the fact that I got my running twin back, but the run felt awesome.

The run took us all the way out to the end of the boardwalk, which was nice and distracting by giving us lots of people watching. 😉

For the first time, we were provided with a porta potty for said long run.

It sure came in handy that the VA Beach Rock N Roll half marathon was slated for the next day. We were the first to use the porta potties set up for the race. How convenient.

For the first time, we took an ice bath.

…as a group.

For the first time, I loved my fuel belt.

The last time I tried the fuel belt, I went on a short 3 mile run and hated every second of it. The belt bounced around and felt like a pain in the butt rather than a hydration aid.

Thank goodness Anastasia showed me the (really stylish) light. The trick is to put it as high up on your waist as possible, pulling it as tight as it’ll go.

Yeah. It’s super cute.

We rocked those fuel belts, and we filled them up two separate times: once at the tiki bar I used to manage, and once at a boardwalk fountain.

Somebody else did not like the fuel belt as much as I did.

That’s right. For the first time, I bought Lululemon gear on Friday.

We won’t talk about how much money we dropped. But the scoop neck tanks are amazing, and I’ve got my eyes on the wunder unders when the VA Beach show room opens up.

And then, we stuffed our faces for the rest of the weekend.

It was not the first time.

P.S. Kudos to Jenny for working so diligently with me to give Life of bLyss its makeover. I’m loving the new look!

1 Tracy September 6, 2011 at 6:12 am

Fabric Shaver! There’s a cheapo $6 remington one on amazon. Get it. Clean up your scoop neck. No more fuel belts or race belts and luon next time.

2 Marijke September 6, 2011 at 9:09 am

Wahhh 20 miles! You’re a superstar! I love that tank- it’s gorgeous!
Marijke recently posted..Weekend recap [so far]My Profile

3 Sam September 6, 2011 at 10:51 am

Congrats! That is so amazing!! Seriously. I love your pictures together. Too bad the belt messed up your shirt. Otherwise it is super cute 🙂 And I LOOOOVE the new layout by the way! YES! so good.
Sam recently posted..labour day schmabour dayMy Profile

4 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry September 6, 2011 at 11:13 am

First of all, love your new blog design! Love the header especially. Awesome.
And congrats on 20 miles!!! That’s crazy! I am seriously in awe. I can’t imagine running that far.
Your pictures killed me.
I die for lulu. And I DIE ESPECIALLY for the Wunder Unders!
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Labour Day Weekend CampingMy Profile

5 Christina@WhoWearsShortShorts September 6, 2011 at 11:13 am

def get some lulu wunder under crops! they’re the perfect thing to run in – totally worth the $. you will love love love them!
Christina@WhoWearsShortShorts recently posted..here they are!My Profile

6 Alyssa - fashion fitness foodie September 6, 2011 at 11:17 am

Congrats on the 20 miles! I love lulu!!

7 Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) September 6, 2011 at 11:21 am

Woah! Great work! You guys are too cute running together! Modeling fuel belts has a huge calling you know. I hear a lot of people become multimillionaires.
Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) recently posted..In New York (City)My Profile

8 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 6, 2011 at 11:22 am

Congrats on the 20 miler! That’s awesome! I can’t even fathom running for that long.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..staying full on a vegetarian dietMy Profile

9 Karla September 6, 2011 at 11:31 am

20 miles — dayyyyum girl! That’s impressive–and whats even more awesome is that it was all enjoyable! ROCK ON! Can’t wait until my first 20 miler.. but I got a long time to wait.

Im LOVING the new header and blog design… it’s adorbs. I need a new header but I have no idea what to do… me + computers = bad news bears.

10 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries September 6, 2011 at 11:46 am

On Saturday, as I sat in my PJs, I said to Cory “Alyssa is running 20 miles today.” We both groaned and then took bites out of our waffles 🙂 Kidding aside, I’m so proud of you!! I cannot imagine running that far. That’s amazing!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Abbey Road on the RiverMy Profile

11 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) September 6, 2011 at 12:06 pm

u are SO AWESOME!! so impressed! and i love this new blog look!
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..How to Achieve a Healthy MindMy Profile

12 Angela @ MyPinkyToes September 6, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Yay for 20 miles!!! It sure does make a marathon seem like reality! Plus I love you new header!!!
Angela @ MyPinkyToes recently posted..Five Favorite Marathon-Obsessed ThingsMy Profile

13 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 6, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Wow, you rock my world. Congrats on the 20 miles pretty lady :)! I love your new blog look too…I’ve been thinking about self-hosting but I don’t know if I should yet or not. Also, I’m obsessed with my BIC band!!!
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Why I Chose OTMy Profile

14 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run September 6, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Congrats on the run! My first 20 miles ever (2 weeks ago) was ROUGH. Looks like you rocked it! OMG, and that ice bath picture might be the cutest thing ever. I would totally do that with my best friend. Oh, and the stuffing our face part too.
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..The Weekend with No RunningMy Profile

15 Nikki September 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Congrats on the 20 miles. Thats a huge accomplishment. There’s nothing better than saying to someone, “I ran 20 miles last weekend.” :)You’re doing great!

16 Faith @ For the Health of It September 6, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I love your new header! And congrats on the 20 miles – that’s huge!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Three Days, Zero GadgetsMy Profile

17 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy September 6, 2011 at 1:28 pm

go ‘head girl.
Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy recently posted..Home SkilletMy Profile

18 Sami September 6, 2011 at 1:39 pm

LOVE the new layout! totally adorable. great job on your run, too!
Sami recently posted..Confessions of a [Foodie] Shopaholic.My Profile

19 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer September 6, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Congrats on the 20 mile run! That’s amazing! And which one of you was refueling with the Michelob Ultra?
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Living Room ShuffleMy Profile

20 julie September 6, 2011 at 2:07 pm

i’m DIGGIN’ your new looks too! just as gawj as you. jenny knows whats up for sure!

haha i’ve never taken the lulu plunge but i have a feeling it’s in my near future as soon as i get to the OUTLET up state. hmmm i smell a weekend trip coming sooooon 🙂 way to KILL that 20 miles! i think you need to celebrate with a bowl of christ-chex! hahaha

21 Tiffany September 6, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Love the new look and header–it’s totally you 🙂

22 Holly September 6, 2011 at 2:57 pm

CONGRATS on your awesome run! DANG girl, you impress me every single time!!!!
I always thought those fuel belts were super annoying too, I had no idea that you were supposed to wear them up so high- thanks for the tip!
LOVE LOVE LOVE the new design!!! Gorgeous!! & I have those shoes on the right 😉 I love them too! 🙂
Holly recently posted..Maple Glazed Pumpkin Spice MuffinsMy Profile

23 Hannah September 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm

congrats girl!!
i have never used a fuel belt, but may need to at some point.
i never really drink that much while running but i think it may help my performance!
lulu is my favorite and a bit addicting. just need to get a good pay check to match!
Hannah recently posted..Pain in AnimalsMy Profile

24 Lauren September 6, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Jenny did a great job!! I’m thinking of emailing her myself. And congrats on the run, lady! 20 miles is HUGE. Glad it went well. You’re going to rock that marathon.
Lauren recently posted..You Know it’s Early Fall When…My Profile

25 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts September 6, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I heart Dane Cook, and I totally got the reference! haha.

Congrats on your 20 mile run, I can’t even imagine being able to do that…. ever

keep it up!
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Self HostedMy Profile

26 Kristine @ Running On Hungry September 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm

HELL yes 20 miles! That’s AMAZING! Just you wait on the Lululemon… pretty soon you’ll be addicted and think nothing of dropping $86 on running capris (the run inspires will change your life).

I really hope some beer accompanied all of that food! Beer = carbs = good for running… right? 😉
Kristine @ Running On Hungry recently posted..Week 5 to 26.2My Profile

27 Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement September 6, 2011 at 4:44 pm

20 miles is no small feat, good job. How cute are you girls with your sparkle bands and your lulu? Not to mention the double ice bath. That fuel belt needs to go. Lulu is too expensive to be treated like that.
Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement recently posted..Organic Vegetable DeliveryMy Profile

28 Jamie@cupcakedynamite September 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm

You really are a champion.. LOVE the blog header, ice picture, and the fact that we are going to get our wunder unders AS SOON as that store opens.
Jamie@cupcakedynamite recently posted..burnout (and a habit kicked)My Profile

29 Katie September 6, 2011 at 8:50 pm

U are amazing!! 20 miles! Damn girl! I don’t know if I could ever run that far, well maybe if I was running after a ice cream truck ; )

Love lulu! Get wiunder unders , the best! Love the scoop neck tanks ! Xoxo
Katie recently posted..Mod { love }My Profile

30 Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) September 6, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I know I’m late, but your new header is soooooooooooooo cute! Loves it 🙂

And I don’t own anything lululemon yet, but I’m looking forward to once I’m not a whale anymore!!
Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..The Recipe Baby D Was Waiting ForMy Profile

31 Ali @ Ali Runs September 6, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Awesome job on the 20 miler!! I have the Scoop Neck Tank too and LOVE it! It’s definitely my favorite work out top! 🙂
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Oak Tree Half Marathon RecapMy Profile

32 Lauren September 7, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Wow, impressive on the 20 miles! When I run a marathon, I think I need a training buddy for all the long runs + ice baths.
Lauren recently posted..Deal-O-ManiaMy Profile

33 Claire @ Let's Go On A Living Spree September 7, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Love the first 20miler!!! Nothing every really compares again (except for, uh, the marathon lol). Savor the feeling, you deserve it!!

34 kristen September 12, 2011 at 6:40 pm

WOW- 20miles thats pretty awesome!