Bib #1

September 14, 2011 · 26 comments

Sometimes, I have to remind myself what I’m running the Marine Corps Marathon for in the first place.

Dash for Dad, a racing team that’s a part of Zero: The Project to End Prostate Cancer. That’s my team.

I frequently get so caught up in the training and the details that I forget the whole purpose to running my first full marathon.

I’m Dashing for my Daddy. He beat prostate cancer last December, and I’m hoping to help others do the same with the money I’ve raised.

This never fails to enter my mind every single time I hit a wall during training. This isn’t just for me; this isn’t only for Dad. This is for a whole lot of people out there. And this is kicking cancer’s butt.

‘Cause we all know how my family likes to kick cancer’s butt. 😉

Thinking ahead toward the marathon, I know I’ll be able to run it with no problem (pending no injuries – fingers and toes crossed) if I’ve got the adrenaline from the fan-filled race course, my running twin by my side, and the reminder that I’m running to help people beat what my family was fortunate enough to beat.

Take that, cancer.

SO, imagine my excitement when THIS showed up last week:

Bib #28455! Clearly, I’m no Kenyan.

Maybe one day I’ll register for a race and throw down a really sick projected finish time. Just so I can wear bib #1 and piss everyone off when I finish in 539th place.

I guess for now I’ll be #28455.

My biggest disappointment, however, is that I don’t get a ZERO singlet to wear for the race.

Say whaaaat?

I know that typically, charities completely logo you out when you run for them. Yes, I get a ZERO technical Tee, but no race singlet since the company is sensitive to the fact that “everyone likes to choose what they wear on race day.”

Well, guess what? I’d like to choose to rock ZERO for the race! And their Team Shop isn’t helping in this department. I need a ZERO tank.

Unless anyone’s got any other bright ideas, it looks like I’m going old school homemade on this jitty. Who wants to help me find a cute red race singlet?

1 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans September 14, 2011 at 2:18 pm

It is so inspiring that you are doing this for cancer awareness!! I think there is something special about running in someones honor and to raise money for a good cause. I truly hope cancer gets its ass kicked soon!!
Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans recently posted..Work It Out Wednesday: Marathon Training & Weight LossMy Profile

2 Angela @ MyPinkyToes September 14, 2011 at 2:21 pm

What a great cause that you are running for! Good luck girlie!
Angela @ MyPinkyToes recently posted..Racing Spur of the MomentMy Profile

3 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries September 14, 2011 at 2:24 pm

It’s SO close! I’m so proud of you that you’re doing your first marathon for something that means so much to you and your family. Maybe I need to start an MDA marathon..or 5k! 🙂
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Focusing on the Whole SelfMy Profile

4 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts September 14, 2011 at 2:28 pm

🙂 This post made me smile 🙂

I too am proud of you for running for a cause that means a great deal to you and your family.

Rock on!
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Fajitas!My Profile

5 Julia @ The Coffee Crazed Teacher September 14, 2011 at 2:36 pm

That is an AWESOME cause that you are running for!

I am running a 5K in October to raise money for clean water in Africa.
I understand completely about the race-day motivation.

Maybe one day you will race like a Kenyan, Keep on running girl!

6 Angie September 14, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Awesome! Congrats! You will rock! Cancer sucks!!
Angie recently posted..Whatever Wednesday…..Words of WidsomMy Profile

7 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat September 14, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I donated to this cause the first time you posted about it – you’re going to rock it no matter WHAT you wear! 🙂
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Newlywed WIAWMy Profile

8 Holly September 14, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I always love all of your ‘face in hole’ kind of pictures, makes me laugh 🙂
How did your girls do last night? I was thinking of you!
Holly recently posted..Finally Tried BodyPump!My Profile

9 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 14, 2011 at 6:08 pm

You’re running for such a wonderful cause!! Good luck on Race Day!!!
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..My Love for Trashy TVMy Profile

10 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers September 14, 2011 at 7:01 pm

My family likes to kick cancer’s butt too. Good luck finding a red singlet. I’m a fan of Nike’s run tops.
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..WIAW: Ugly EditionMy Profile

11 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy September 14, 2011 at 7:05 pm

That is so very sweet and a tremendous cause.
Please do kick cancer’s ass!
Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy recently posted..WinningMy Profile

12 Rachel @ The Avid Appetite September 14, 2011 at 8:02 pm

what an amazing cause you are running for! you will make them proud, no doubt 🙂
Rachel @ The Avid Appetite recently posted..5 Things Making Me Happy TodayMy Profile

13 Alexa @ Simple Eats September 14, 2011 at 8:32 pm

My dad beat prostate cancer, too! Go dads! This warms my heart that you’re running for this cause. Can’t wait to see your singlet!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Work It OutMy Profile

14 ALYSSA - FASHION FITNESS FOODIE September 14, 2011 at 8:33 pm

You are going to be AMAZING! Just posted an article on FB yesterday about prostate cancer!

15 Diana September 14, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Yeaaaaa get it girl! The swim team at my college participated in Relay for Life each year and wore shirts that said simply, “Cancer sucks.” And really – I couldn’t put it any better myself!

Good luck!!!

16 Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) September 14, 2011 at 11:28 pm

That is such a great cause. I think if they gave numbers by best looking you would get number 1! 🙂
Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) recently posted..The Greatest Breakfast of Your Life (French Toast Pancakes)My Profile

17 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry September 14, 2011 at 11:45 pm

What? That Kenyan isn’t you? I’m confused.
You are an inspirational little mix. I’m excited for you!
Re: peach hurting. I don’t know what it is, but the little fuzzies touch my lips and make them all itchy and prickly hurty. Seriously uncool. I would stop eating peaches but I can’t. I love them.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Guest Post (from my friend Dawn!) Unique Eating in N’AwlinsMy Profile

18 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com September 14, 2011 at 11:48 pm

What an amazing cause and girl, your dad is AMAZING!! WOW. Love your face on the kenyan. Okay, I had no idea how huge that marathon is. SO EXCITED FOR YOU!
janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..My Kind of Ride…..My Profile

19 Brittany September 15, 2011 at 4:51 am

You rock. Love the reason behind the run. You should totally sport a full on body leotard/spandex suit…just sayin.
Brittany recently posted..Waste NOTMy Profile

20 Alexa September 15, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I was wondering if you tried coconut water to rehydrate after running. I saw a bit about it on Good Morning, America and was curious if it is actually good or just a new fad.
Alexa recently posted..I Just Felt Like Ruh-ning!My Profile

21 Ali @ Ali Runs September 15, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Cancer sucks! Both of my parents are cancer survivors and when I remember watching them go through all of the surgeries, treatments, chemo, etc., it is often my motivation that pushes me through the final miles of any race. One day I would love to raise money for an organization. Good for you! 🙂
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..FartlekMy Profile