Vacation Workout Tips

August 9, 2011 · 26 comments

For me, vacation is typically about taking off. I like to relax, eat what I want, and exercise only if I feel like it.

Marathon training kinda throws this plan for a loop.

No thank you, 104 degrees.

Then, unfortunately, the temperatures threw my running for a loop, too.

So, I hit up Google, drove around for a while, and found my North Myrtle Beach saving grace:

BAM.

I wanted to get my long run of the week out of the way first, so I was ready to tackle a 10 miler with my chilled Clif energy gel.

my gel chiller never fails.

And although the facilities were very impressive, I wasn’t so psyched to pay $15 for a day pass.

I see you, treadmills.

So. My tips for working out on vacation when skipping out is no option?

1. Get up early: If you get it out of the way first thing, you’ve got the rest of the day to do whatever you’d like.
  2. Plan ahead: Take alllll your clothes and gear you’ll need. If you’re prepped, you’ll have less excuses to opt out.
  3. Do your research: I should have done this – ahead of time, check out nearby available gyms just in case the outdoors aren’t possible.
  4. Force your family to partake: hey, it worked for me.

Both my mom and sister were more than happy to join me for sweat sessions. I thanked my sister maybe 16 times for not making me run alone for my only outdoor run.

Cause she rocks (and is healed)!

P.S. Speaking of running.. guess who I Skyped with yesterday?

gosh, we’re cute.

Steph needed some shin rehab. I told her I couldn’t explain my special stretches to her. I had to show her (it’s true, and she laughed at me in agreement when I showed her what to do to heal her poor little shins).

And then we had scintillating, intelligent conversation.

I’m off to foam roll the soreness out of my legs. My Sunday 16-miler isn’t agreeing with my muscles so much.

And it did wonders for my appetite.

What gets you movin’ when working out isn’t an option on vacation?

1 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry August 9, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Welp, I shoulda read these tips last week, since I did no form of organized exercise last week. Ah well.
N’dawwww, you and Steph are so cute.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Back to Life, Back to Reality (and I LIKE IT!)My Profile

2 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 9, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Ahahahahaha BEST FWIENDS <3 16 miles is kickass by the way. in case you didn't already know.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Chef Katelyn’s Guide to LifeMy Profile

3 katie @KatieDid August 9, 2011 at 1:43 pm

When I was training and on spring break with friends I still got up early and ran. The key was definitely being up before them, or else I never would have gone. It was also a great way to explore the city a little bit, and get some extra sun! 10 miles on a treadmill… good for you wow!

4 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 9, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I just know that I’m typically more active on vacation – getting a workout in at a hotel gym or early in the morning if it’s too hot can help.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Becoming VegetarianMy Profile

5 Ali @ Ali Runs August 9, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Ohh I love the tip of finding a gym!! I am going to Tampa, FL soon and am VERY worried about long runs in that kind of heat! Congrats on getting your workouts in during vaca! It can be so hard!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Philadelphia Marathon, Here I Come!My Profile

6 theAlmostRunner August 9, 2011 at 5:26 pm

hahahah I look so SPECIAL.

7 Emily @ Living & Learning August 9, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I struggle with working out while on vacation: how do you manage to get the motivation? When I’m at the beach especially, the only thing I can manage to motivate myself to do is a run on the beach in the morning .. and that’s only if its not too hott. I can’t bring myself to go to the actual gym because I’d rather be out in the sun getting tan πŸ™‚

8 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 9, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I try not to worry about being active on vacation. If I can get a workout in that’s great, but if not, I don’t stress about it. If we’re going to the beach then I’ll use walking endless miles on the beach as my workout! 16 miles is super impressive…that’s awesome!
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..I Used to Be…My Profile

9 Laural @ Being Healthier August 9, 2011 at 9:09 pm

16 miler!! nice! it would work wonders for the appetite!

10 Jin August 9, 2011 at 9:41 pm

my skipping rope πŸ™‚ easy to take with me. or some yoga video from tarastiles channel on youtube. there are a lot of bodyrock.tv videos you can do without equipment and for those who do not bring their laptop on vacation (I always do) – pen n paper: write down the workouts you could do.
nothing bout a good planing to keep things smooth!
Jin recently posted..Tae Bo & Post Workout NutritionMy Profile

11 Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) August 9, 2011 at 9:55 pm

You are my vacation hero. I’m going to say…well Alyssa’s family got involved with her workouts so you must allow me to workout and get involved too. It will obviously work wonders. πŸ˜‰
Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) recently posted..Social Media Whore.My Profile

12 Alisa with Runs with Knives August 9, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I make sure to plan to be active, like taking hikes or wandering around a city. But if I know that won’t happen, I recruit a family member to work out with me. When my family went to Niagara Falls last summer, my brother and I ran along the falls each morning. It was way less crowded first thing in the morning and it was nice to get out and enjoy the scenery in a new way.
Alisa with Runs with Knives recently posted..Reasons why moving sucks.My Profile

13 Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter August 9, 2011 at 11:48 pm

It looks like you had so much FUN on vacation. $15 for a day pass? Psh- they sure do know how to suck the money outta people. and 16 miles?!? Whoooo-you go girl! Thats awesome! πŸ˜€
Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter recently posted..Brick LegsMy Profile

14 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 10, 2011 at 12:42 am

104 degrees?? Yikes! I would be running for the pool and a margarita … not the gym! πŸ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The Big Day.My Profile

15 Emily August 10, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Hi Alyssa, Emily Here. Just wanted to say I LOVED your guest post on The Lunchbox Diaries. I have recently (within the last year) picked up running and I definitely have a love/hate relationship with it. Your post was very inspiring and I totally feel the urge to hit the pavement!!!

Side Note – LOVE the family Phillies picture!! Go Phils!

16 anastasia August 10, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Bahahah our text convos are so intellectually stimulating. “hungry? starving? burritos? cheez-its! pic of face sweaty? im rolling. teleport for 14 miles? im drunk.”… it never ends. love catching up on here πŸ™‚

17 Claire @ let's go on a living spree August 11, 2011 at 2:21 am

So weird! I was just in Myrtle and had to run outside during the week (urggh it was HOT). Good luck with your training! Once you finish a marathon, you’ll be crazy addicted!! Whenever I finish one I’m always planning my next marathon (for me, next up is Vegas Rock n Roll in Dec πŸ™‚ )
Claire @ let’s go on a living spree recently posted..Ups and Downs of a Virginia SummerMy Profile