The Almost Runner Ain’t No Quitter

August 5, 2011 · 18 comments

Meet Stephanie. I love her. She’s adorable. And she likes to bust my chops. Exhibit A? This guest post by her. Right here. Go on.

I’m Stephanie and I’m trying to learn how to run. It’s rough trying to blog about running when I’m a beginner because, well, everyone else is awesome and I am not.
Like I said, great things goin’ for me.

Of course, everyone is super supportive and nice, but I still feel like an idiot most of the time. It makes for pretty good entertainment on your part. Even though it may only seem this way to me, here are some things I’ve observed about being an AlmostRunner when everyone else is a RunnerRunner:

You try to encourage others, but telling them “You’ve got this!” before their 12 miles is kind of… silly. How do I know they’ve got this? I don’t even “got this” on 2 miles.
“Yeah… I’ve obviously got this.”

You sleep in instead of going for a morning run… and don’t make it up later that night.
“It’s not that hard. Just get out of bed, run, and shower. Please shower.”

You “refuel” by continuing to eat the very same foods you ate before. No Gu, Chomps, or Gatorade necessary.
Standard 14-miler refreshment. What? You only did 3? Go ahead and make your way to the back of the water fountain line.

You tell your husband that you NEED that Garmin 405 to TRACK your miles. You get the thing for your birthday and then whine about how it’s too hot to run outside. Treadmill it is.
“Are you ser- …she’s serious? She’s serious. GET OUTSIDE AND DO IT.”

You get typical “beginner’s” shin splints and everyone tries to remember that one time years ago when they had those.

“Dat was when Chloe-Wowee was still a puppy wuppy!”

Overall, I still don’t really enjoy running, but I’m getting better at it. I’ve had some setbacks (like the aforementioned shin splints and also a pretty jacked up spine)
but the support from new friends I’ve made from blogging has helped encourage me to not be a quitter.
Because being a beginner AND a quitter is way too much lame for me.

I think what she’s trying to say here is that other bloggers can be pretty goshdarn inspiring. And I agreed with her.. after first making sure I shouldn’t be offended. 😉

1 Marijke August 5, 2011 at 7:54 am

This pretty much made. my. day.
The combination of Alyssa and Stephanie on one page? TOO funny!!!

2 cait August 5, 2011 at 11:23 am

haha omg i LOVE this post:) it’s hard to get motivated but i agree, having friends & fellow bloggers share advice is always the first step to get your motivation goin’! xo
cait recently posted…Nowwwwww LucccccccyMy Profile

3 Sam August 5, 2011 at 11:48 am

Awww I understand how you feel! I just finished working my way up to a 5k recently. Here I am dying from running for 3 minutes while reading about people who run for hours and hours! It is inspiring!! And you can do it 🙂
Sam recently posted…Thursday Love!My Profile

4 theAlmostRunner August 5, 2011 at 12:31 pm

hahaha! no offense meant! i love you girl!
theAlmostRunner recently posted…Power JuiceMy Profile

5 RunYourAshOff August 5, 2011 at 2:56 pm

This makes me feel like my so called running blog should start actually being about running. Great blog! So glad I found your blog thru theAlmostRunner’s!

6 Faith @ For the Health of It August 5, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Haha, I feel ya with everything you just said! It kind of stinks being at ground zero, but in the end we’ll get our pace and mileage up there!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted…Not Enough NutsMy Profile

7 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 5, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Hahahaha love dis girl. It’s fine, the last two weeks I’ve been a HardlyRunner. Like, twice-a-week runner.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted…Delayed Gratification.My Profile

8 Jill is Active August 5, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Loved this – great choices for guest posts Alyssa! 🙂
Jill is Active recently posted…The Perfect Weekend!My Profile

9 Jenn's Adventures August 5, 2011 at 6:24 pm

This is such an awesome post — Steph I think you speak for ALL the beginner runners -er- AlmostRunner’s =)

10 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run August 5, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Ha! Nicely done, Steph.

11 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 5, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Haha I love it … I’m pretty new to running, too, so I can relate!!

12 Claire August 5, 2011 at 9:55 pm

This post is awesome, hilarious and made me want to run!! And it’s an off day! Talk about motivation/inspiration. 🙂
Claire recently posted…Burbs to the shore and what I adoreMy Profile

13 Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) August 6, 2011 at 2:01 am

Oh my god. I thought I was the only one in the world that gets chaffing on their armpits.
Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) recently posted…Last Thursday NightMy Profile