Lessons from Marathon Training & BeCool Bands

August 12, 2011 · 31 comments

This morning, I woke up before my alarm all fired up for my shortest run of the week.

Let’s just say a little 3-miler felt so right after last Sunday’s 16.

So, at 6:50 a.m., I was lacing up my shoes for a nice outdoor play on HIIT training. Or maybe I can’t really call it “HIIT,” since the range of speed didn’t differ much. I rotated between a 7:00 pace, a 7:15 pace, and a 7:45 pace.

Lessons from The Long Run

Remember the 16 mile run I mentioned last weekend? I barely touched on it, but I feel like for each long run, I learn something new.

This time?

• I need to hydrate DURING the run. Badly. I kinda hate the hydration belt I got, and I’m contemplating buying one of those camelbak backpacks. Please advise. πŸ˜‰
  • I need more calories during the run. I’m gonna upgrade to an extra energy gel (P.S. Clif Vanilla is so. good.).
  • A quality playlist is money. But I already knew that.
  • No matter how bushy-tailed I feel in the beginning of the run, I need to take it easy if I’m gonna last for 26.2 miles.

Soon to be followed by…

And a face like this.

There has been a debate via different blogs in regards to long run pace. Janae wrote a post recently entitled “Long Runs: SLOW DOWN!” (self explanatory), and Active.com noted recently that too many runners make their long runs super easy and later attempt to run a full marathon at race pace.

I plan to find a happy medium between the two. πŸ˜‰ Thoughts, anyone?

BeCool Bands

After reading my post about running in the heat (and my first long run fail due to heat), Mike from BeCool Bands reached out to me to review his innovative product.

Their product website notes: up to 70% of the energy powering your muscles is lost as heat. When your body overheats, not only is it uncomfortable, but the increase in sweat can lead to dehydration and muscle fatigue.

BeCool Bandsβ„’ cools your wrists, which are natural quick cooling spots on your body where the blood vessels are close to the surface of the skin. Cool blood flowing from your wrist to the rest of your body can cool you down as much as 3 degrees.

so many wrist activities.

To turn the strips to ice, you simply hold them under water or wipe them with a wet cloth.

All soaked up and ready for the freezer

And once they’re frozen, you stick them in the pocket of the wrist bands.

The verdict? I felt like the BeCool Bands succeeded in lowering my body temp right when I put them on. I would recommend them for a short run in extreme heat, though, because the ice packs were completely melted after 3 miles.

It was a little hard to figure out how to fit the BeCool Bands, my RoadID, and my Garmin all on my wrists, so I ditched the RoadID since I was running with my sister at the beach anyway.

These days, anything to help me beat the heat is a-okay in my book. πŸ˜‰

1 Sami August 12, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Hydration is so underrated! I’ve learned my lesson and started drinking a bit of coconut water. You should try MEGA V Pineapple Punch. It’s my faveeee πŸ™‚
Sami recently posted..Three For ThursdayMy Profile

2 Brandi @ The Vitamin Bee August 12, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I drop gatorade or water along my route before long runs (every 3 miles ish). I run with a fuel belt and refill the bottles along the way or just pick up and run with the stuff I dropped.

Have you tried race pace repeats? For long runs I’ll run slower at the beginning, pick it up to race pace for two miles, and then drop back down to the slower pace for 3 miles. It helps me to know what race pace feels like on fatigued legs!
Brandi @ The Vitamin Bee recently posted..Mmmm Mmmm GoodMy Profile

3 Ali @ Ali Runs August 12, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I love love love my camelback!! I wore it all during marathon training last summer and can’t wait to start wearing it again this summer for my longer runs. It is a little bouncy at first but after a mile you barely even know it’s there. Plus it has pockets to put extra stuff in (I’m all about the extra stuff!!) πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Cherry Hill LoopMy Profile

4 Laura @ prettylittlewords August 12, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I love how your “short run” is 3 miles. Girl, you inspire me!

Also, the thought of running with melted ice cubes on your wrists is totally making me giggle.
Laura @ prettylittlewords recently posted..Night owlMy Profile

5 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I think the price would have to be right to invest in those.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Low Cal Peanut Butter Cookie BitesMy Profile

6 rebecca lustig August 12, 2011 at 6:00 pm

yay, a new blog to read!

I feel like if I had ice packs on my wrist I’d get tingly sensations! Or knowing me, I’d probably think I was bleeding or leaking. Or something.

havea great weekend!!
becca

7 Ellie@fitforthesoul August 12, 2011 at 6:04 pm

awww I love the photos hehe! And although I’ve never run with a camelback pack before, I have used it for when I was in the villages in India. Let me tell you, it helps sooooo much!!!! So I can’t imagine how great it would be when you’re running the crazy heat πŸ™‚
Ellie@fitforthesoul recently posted..My WIAW #3 and the Venue HuntMy Profile

8 Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter August 12, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I love the pictures of Thumper!! lol. The cool gel bands are neat, but a bummer that they melted so soon! So, not really useful for a half or a full marathon, eh? Bummmmerrrrrrr
Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter recently posted..Rest In PeaceMy Profile

9 Claire @ let's go on a living spree August 12, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I LOVE Clif Vanilla! I’ve also recently been tinkering with my “energy management strategy” and tried the Gu Mint Chocolate and Jet Blackberry flavors. I love ’em, but I know that different things work for different people (for example, I can’t drink Gatorade at all if I’m having Gu…major stomach issues ensue πŸ˜‰

Love to hear about your long runs and how you deal with the Va heat!
Claire @ let’s go on a living spree recently posted..Food I absolutely cannot live withoutMy Profile

10 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer August 12, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I just found your blog, and I just have to say, completely off topic, you as Ke$ha for Halloween was perfect.

11 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer August 12, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I just found your blog, and I just have to say, completely off topic, you as Ke$ha for Halloween was awesome!
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Bits of RandomnessMy Profile

12 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 12, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Haha I love that you put pics from the movie bambi! That was my favorite movie when I was little, and then my mom made me stop watching it because I kept calling her “mother” in the grocery store and she didn’t want people thinking that she was training me to be formal. Anyhoo…since I’m not really a runner I can’t quite advise you on anything haha. Although, I am kind of getting an itch to maybe train for something short distance? I dunno
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Sometimes Life is Not FairMy Profile

13 Meg August 12, 2011 at 10:22 pm

How about instead of a camelbak – I follow you on bike during your runs and dump buckets of water on you. Ok? Good.

Love.
Meg recently posted..Feature Friday: Allison and Happy!My Profile

14 sara @ the foodie diaries August 13, 2011 at 2:54 am

OH hi. Just wanted to say I love ya. That’s all. OKay byeeee πŸ™‚
sara @ the foodie diaries recently posted..It’s the freakin’ weekend baby I’m ’bout to have me some funMy Profile

15 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 13, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Great post! I use the Nathan handheld Quickdraw Plus (http://www.nathansports.com/our-products/hydrationnutrition/handhelds/quickdraw-plus) and I really like it. Definitely not promoting … just telling ya what I like haha! Good luck finding something that works for you!! πŸ™‚
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Things that make me smile (Take 2).My Profile

16 Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) August 13, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I have never heard of those before. They seem really cool though and it has been hella hot. I have the opposite problem of you in that I take things out way to slow and I regret it at the end. Let’s combine and be the ultimate runner.
Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) recently posted..Blue Jeans & Dating ScenesMy Profile

17 Meg August 14, 2011 at 12:07 am

Ooh those bands look so interesting (and would make me look hardcore, always a plus). Honestly, I sweat a ridiculousss amount so maybe those would help!

You look beautiful in your black dress!!

18 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com August 14, 2011 at 6:46 am

HEY GORGEOUS!! LOVE reading about what you are learning with training, you are going to do SO good, I can’t wait to read all about it! LOVE your pink top and the ‘poor decision’ photo:)
janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..My last day of vacation to-dos.My Profile

19 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 14, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Those bands are neat! The only thing I would be worried about (of course) are tan lines. πŸ™‚
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..saturday happeningsMy Profile

20 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie August 14, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Those little bands are pretty cool! I dont do long runs at the moment but would like to! I’ll have to check it outtt
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..Saturday PlansMy Profile

21 Lizzie August 15, 2011 at 2:32 am

Oooo those bands look super useful!
and I love your dress in the last picture! So stylish πŸ˜€