I Win, IT Band.

August 30, 2011 · 19 comments

The sports massage for my hurting IT band? Heavenly. And I learned so much about my muscles, stretching, and how to prevent the injury.

On tap for the rest of marathon training? LOTS of foam rolling. Probably more sports massages. And lots and lots of stretching.

I skipped my 18 miler to be safe, but did a 14-mile run, a 6-mile run, and today, a 5-mile hill run. The hills sucked. I learned that I need to do more of them pre-marathon.

5 miles for the week = down.

And Chloe and I made it all the way back to VA Beach… a bajillion hours of traffic later.

In case you were worried, all is okay with the house. Other than a struggling fence, a stray piece of siding (of whose origin is yet to be found), and a very large branch on the ground, the house fared Hurricane Irene well.

Except for Chloe’s favorite toy found up a tree.

1 Liz @ Something To Chew On August 30, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Yaaaay for relief! I’m glad the massage helped – and I’m VERY glad that Irene didn’t go bananas on your house :)
Liz @ Something To Chew On recently posted..Back In The SaddleMy Profile

2 Lisa August 30, 2011 at 2:25 pm

That’s great the massage worked…and that your home wasn’t really damaged!!
Lisa recently posted..Why I’m Now Eating Eggs, and other things.My Profile

3 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy August 30, 2011 at 3:18 pm

such a cute little picture :)
Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy recently posted..Hit the DeckMy Profile

4 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 31, 2011 at 3:55 am

you can always count on the nieces for some added cuteness ;)

5 Jamie@cupcakedynamite August 30, 2011 at 3:38 pm

GAH! I need to see you today. I’m considering 4:30 class but might just be wandering upstairs around 5pm, avoiding criticism….bahahahah i misssssssssssssssss you damn weekend split us up- NOT COOL.
Jamie@cupcakedynamite recently posted..BFF friday: scared s*itlessMy Profile

6 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 30, 2011 at 3:51 pm

jamester, I’m hitting up a weights circuit. join meee.

7 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 31, 2011 at 3:55 am

thankfully, we’re reeeunited and it feeels so gooood (or actually it kinda feels sucky when we’re put through the ringer for a rough workout but I still missed you)

8 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats August 30, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Great job continuing with your training! Hope you stay injury-free!
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Late Workout and Portabella Mushroom BurgersMy Profile

9 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 30, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Yay for IT band relief! And I’m glad that your house is okay :)
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..A Little Bit of BlissMy Profile

10 Alexa @ Simple Eats August 30, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I’m glad you’re safe and sound!

11 Jessica @ rerunrunning August 31, 2011 at 1:23 am

Nice job skirting the IT Band injury monster! It’s such a jerk of an injury. Yea for the foam roller! I love that thing so much… my husband get jealous sometimes. ;)

12 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 31, 2011 at 3:54 am

yes! I don’t know what I’d do without the thing.

13 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie August 31, 2011 at 1:47 am

you are a monster! killed that 5 miles!
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Ice CreamMy Profile

14 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry August 31, 2011 at 2:04 am

Glad you are safe and your house is gooooood!
And dang, you are a speedy hill runner.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Cilantro, the Recipe KillaMy Profile

15 Dad August 31, 2011 at 3:08 am

Zat my grandbaby girl on my baby girl’s blog?

16 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 31, 2011 at 3:53 am

hahaha. hahaha. yeah, dad, zats yo grandbaby girl. after yo babygirl taught her how to use the foam roller without Chloe getting it.

17 Lauren August 31, 2011 at 3:43 am

Um I wish I could run 14 miles while injured. But I did 9 without an injury and am still proud of myself :) Glad Irene didn’t take you out. Love that picture of Chloe, though! Massages always help, btw.
Lauren recently posted..What Would You Do?My Profile

18 Marijke August 31, 2011 at 9:17 am

I’ve never had a sports massage! Something tells me I am missing out on something amazing here…
Sheesh IT band injuries hurt like hell! I got one while training for a Half Marathon earlier this year. Still ran the damn thing but with a sexy knee brace.
Marijke recently posted..Bank Holiday Weekend recapMy Profile

19 Lizzie August 31, 2011 at 1:16 pm

You are such an amazing runner! I would be lucky if i ran 1/2 as many miles as you!
Lizzie recently posted..Perpare to be amazed… {wiaw}My Profile