Guest Post: Tips for a Single-Girl Chef from Sunshine ‘n Spice

August 6, 2011 · 14 comments

Meg was an obvious choice for a single-girl guest post for me. My day is not complete without a nice chat with this lady, and if she’s half as good at brightening your day as she is mine, you’re in for a real treat.

Hi friends! My name isn’t Alyssa and I don’t have beautiful flowing blonde hair, but I still hope you’ll read and enjoy my post as I take over her pretty blog for today. I’m Meg! I blog over at Sunshine ‘n Spice, so feel free to come say hello sometime.

If you’re anything like Alyssa and me, you’ve got a serious problem when it comes to finding time to breathe. It took me more than a few panic attacks to realize that I need to school myself in time management. Long gone are the days where I rely on other people to tuck me in, cook my food and wipe my ass. Boo-hoo, right? I know. Guess I’ll have to wait til I’m in a nursing home for those exciting perks again.

One of the things I like to consider myself these days is a “single-girl chef.” Meaning I cook my own food for one, shovel it in my face and call it balance. If you’re a single girl too and find yourself getting hungry (and we’re talking hungry for food right now, not men) then here are a few tips I have for you that have proven savvy for me as of late:

1. Invest some time in bookmarking some recipes and/or combing the library for a cookbook and making meals ahead of time. Got a few hours free on the weekend? Great. Cook up a storm and portion out the food into Tupperware (a Godsend…) and pop it in the fridge or freezer so it’s ready to roll when you are. This method has saved me a lot of stress, especially when I need something to bring along to work. I like to bake chicken breasts, pork loins and some veggies, season ‘em up and snap a lid on it. The only time this planning fails is when my brain does – specifically Monday mornings where I tend to forget to grab my lunch out of the fridge and strikingly remember the less important things, like 12 packs of gum and some toothpicks – neither of which are going to do me any good when my stomach is pissed off. Anyways…
  2. Buy in bulk. Just because you’re single and ready to mingle doesn’t mean you have to mingle with the frozen foods section of the grocery store. Unless of course, you’d like to balloon up like a whale with the monstrous amounts of sodium packed in single-girl foods. Then you won’t be mingling with anyone til you deflate. Buy foods that you can store easily for a while – big bags of frozen fruits and veggies, chicken, meats, etc! Cans of tuna are also a savior. You can still purchase lots of fresh items as well, as long as you use them in your recipes for the week. Personally, I go shopping once a week for groceries.
  3. Stash emergency foods. It happens: lunch time comes and you’ve forgotten your lunch or you have all of 5 minutes to eat and it ain’t gonna be pretty if you try to eat what you’ve packed in record time. Save it for the little Asian ladies who always win the hot dog eating contests. I personally love big bodacious protein bars that I can gracefully eat in a short amount of time and not make slop out of my shirt. I highly recommend Perfect Foods Bars (http://www.perfectfoodsbar.com/) – they’re awesome and I promise it’s like eating a piece of heaven. Don’t worry, heaven tastes fantastic.

What steps do you take in your foodie time management?

Thanks again, Alyssa, you rock my world!

Peace and love!

Meg

1 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 6, 2011 at 4:33 am

I buy a SHIT ton in bulk — i.e. quinoa, lentils, sunflower seeds, raw almonds, what have you it usually comes from the bulk section. Even raisins 😉

Single-girl cooking is actually my fave thing to do, because it’s all fo me. I like to cook huge batches of quinoa and lentils for the week and have marinara and hummus on hand for quick bowls — so good.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Delayed Gratification.My Profile

2 Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) August 6, 2011 at 11:36 am

Ah I am forever single girl cooking. It saves me so much time. Protein bars are seriously my favorite on the go snack because they don’t make a mess. I have spent too much time spilling stuff all over my shirts and making a food of myself.
Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) recently posted..Last Thursday NightMy Profile

3 katie @KatieDid August 6, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Awesome tips, Meg. I love cooking for me, and me only! I don’t really look forward to the days where I (might be) cooking for 4 or 5 every single day, that just seems crazy. I tend to do a ton of stirfrys because they are so quick. I also keep most things frozen (meat, veggies, etc.) because its tough to try to go through everything in a week without at least something going bad since your only cooking for 1.

4 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 6, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Great post Meg! I’m not single…but since we are long distance most of the time- I do have to cook like I am :(. Love you both!
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Cedar Point RecapMy Profile

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 6, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I’m not single, but I obviously was at some point. 😉 And the freezer was my friend. Also, there’s nothing wrong with having leftovers for a couple of days! 🙂

6 Nicole @sugarcoatedsisters August 6, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I always make things that will last a long time in bulk… such as lentils or rice! Thanks for the tips Meg 🙂
Nicole @sugarcoatedsisters recently posted..Tahini Buckwheat Breakfast BakeMy Profile

7 Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) August 6, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I do the same thing. I love making leftovers! I usually end up eating about 4 or 5 servings out of one “meal” that I make on the weekend. It saves so much time during the week!
Allison (Allison’s Delicious Life) recently posted..Yosemite: [ice cream] and [hiking] and BEARS, oh my!My Profile

8 Chelcie August 6, 2011 at 8:22 pm

i love single girl cooking..im nervous having two roommates next year because they will steal all my yummy food that i’ll be cooking for myself..I guess I can maybe share some with them
Chelcie recently posted..obsessed with mama peaMy Profile

9 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 6, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Great post Meg! 😀 I actually suck at food time management. During the school year I really like taking an hour out of my night to cook dinner. And if I’m in a rush, I’ll just make a stir fry since they’re so easy to whip up! But sometimes when I have lots of exams coming up I’ll make a big batch of soup or chili that I can eat for the next 4 nights.
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin recently posted..Food from the Farm: BeetsMy Profile

10 Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter August 7, 2011 at 12:50 am

Love the tips! Meg is so funny. 😛
Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter recently posted..I Love LucyMy Profile

11 Jamie August 7, 2011 at 3:42 am

Ugh.. I am not single but MISS single girl cooking.. I’m totally happy with eating some quinoa and tomatoes for dinner but my man is not. So tough since we aren’t married but live together and since he’s super sweet I feel like I NEED to cook for us both- it’s hard!
Jamie recently posted..BFF: how to do a waterfall braidMy Profile

12 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) August 7, 2011 at 1:49 pm

buying in bulk is the WAY TO GOO! its harder to do that in london but i make it work!! i loveee MEG and ALYSSA so this was a double WAHMEY!
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..Are You Picky!?My Profile