Guest Post: Colleen’s Compromisin’

August 3, 2011 · 19 comments

Hello there, Life of bLyss beauties! I’m Colleen, and I blog over at The Lunchbox Diaries.

Over at my humble blog-abode, I chat about everything from fitness to my ever-busy life with my fiance and my friends to enjoying good food ๐Ÿ™‚ I love circuit workouts, eating sweets and laughing until my side hurts.

One topic that keeps popping up on the blog is the fact that Cory and I are just days away from taking the big leap into that little thing called marriage.

So now that my life is starting to “become one” with Cory’s and all that jazz, things are changing. I got rid of my tiny spoons that “make the oatmeal last longer” and he ditched much of his bachelor pad furniture.

But two things that aren’t “becoming one” are our views on healthy living.

So what is a healthy livin’ girl to do when she falls for a typical I-can-eat-anything-and-not-gain-weight kinda guy?

Compromise – Now that we’re eating dinner together all the time, it’s harder to always eat what I want. So one night I’ll choose something like salmon, and he’ll eat it because he doesn’t hate it. And some nights all he wants is a hotdog and pasta salad.

So when it’s a hotdog night, I try to add some healthier sides like beans and blueberries ๐Ÿ™‚

Exercise Buddy > Eating Buddy – Healthy living isn’t just about food. If you and your honey’s ideal meals don’t match, all is not lost! I’ve found that having a running buddy is sometimes better than having an eating buddy ๐Ÿ™‚

Pack It Up, Pack It In – When we travel, Cory doesn’t mind eating a donut (because guys can eat 10 donuts and not gain a pound – what the heck?!) but that doesn’t work with me. So instead of being a picky eater, I’m a pack-y eater. That way, we both get what we want!

Lighten Up! And no, I don’t mean “can you put the fat-free dressing on the side?” lighten up ๐Ÿ˜‰ I find that if I eat healthy most of the time, I don’t need to worry about random fro-yo runs or one or three margarita.

Because let’s be honest. I’m not one to ever turn down a happy hour ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh, you like happy hours too? Come visit me over at The Lunchbox Diaries – we’ll chat ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wait, Colleen.. When I get married I have to get rid of my baby spoons?

Shoot.. I’m staying single forever.

1 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 3, 2011 at 4:35 am

Love you Coll. I will never ever get rid of my baby spoons. They are too darn cute!! And so are you and Cory!! Ummm excuse me for saying this but you are going to have freaking adorable babies together. Just saying. Mwahhhh love you!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Save a Shake Weight, Make a Salad Beast. [Recipe Slam]My Profile

2 Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) August 3, 2011 at 10:44 am

You guys are way to cute. When I had my long term relationship, we would compromise about food so often. True life: I just was just having a conversation with my parents about me weird obsession with using baby plastic spoons/forks. It must be a blogger thing. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) recently posted..A Shirty Situation (vLog)My Profile

3 Brittany @ LessBritt MoreLife August 3, 2011 at 11:41 am

Love this and you, my BBFF! I won’t ever compromise on my laughter, happiness, and froyo dates ๐Ÿ™‚
Brittany @ LessBritt MoreLife recently posted..Week 1My Profile

4 cait August 3, 2011 at 12:13 pm

hahah sooo love this girl and agreed with Britt- you’re just fabulous and I’d never compromise certain things like yourself including the froyo dates (altho sadly I’ve never HAD a froyo before!)
cait recently posted..I Scream for…THIN MINTSMy Profile

5 Nikki August 3, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Haa, what a cute post. I’m definitely checking out your blog now, but only because I love happy hours too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Why’d you have to give up the little spoons!?!?!

6 My Blonde Moments August 3, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I too have a boyfriend that can eat anything and everything and never gain a pound! Plus, he doesn’t like veggies. I’ve had to learn to be ok with not always eating the same things as him. I will usually make a main course, but have some steamed veggies on the side for me. Oh to be a man and be able to eat all the donuts in the world I wanted to!

7 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 3, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I hear ya on the compromise thing! My bf is actually healthier than I am…kinda crazy huh? But, he just deals with me dragging him to fro-yo places and he watches me eat them haha (he is lactose intolerant…so I can’t get too mad). I can’t wait to hear about your wedding!
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Surrounded by PinkMy Profile

8 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 3, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Ah, yes. I’ve been dealing with that compromise living with the beau for the past year, so it’s going to be interesting to see how I eat “naturally” just on my own. I’m trying hard to balance out right now, and I’d really like to keep that balance and not get too un-grounded when I am all on my own!!

Whenever I need to think of him, though, maybe I’ll grab a pizza just to remember the good times.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Zum-bad to the Bone!My Profile

9 Sam August 3, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Haha everyone loves the baby spoons! This is a cute post and I know what you mean. Personally I live with my boyfriend and we have totally opposite views on food! I try to make it work though. He doesn’t work out with me either! But he does basically workout all day at his job so I can’t get too mad ๐Ÿ˜›
Sam recently posted..10K training and wind down of fitabs!My Profile

10 Laura @ Cookies vs. Carrots August 3, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Great post! My boyfriend definitely has a different idea of what is “healthy” and turns his nose up at meat-less meals or certain vegetables. It’s always a compromise with us, but somehow we make it work!
Laura @ Cookies vs. Carrots recently posted..Yoga Tips and TricksMy Profile

11 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 3, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Very cute! Marriage definitely = compromise! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Hello world!My Profile

12 Miri August 4, 2011 at 3:13 am

LOL! Any man that tries to make me give up my baby spoons will never be a hubby candidate. If they’re good enough for my dad (yes, he’s the one who brought them into my life), then they’re good enough for my future hubby! ๐Ÿ™‚

This post was super helpful! I wasn’t very good with compromise in my last relationship. I usually caved and ate all the “junk” that he ate… no bueno! I’ll definitely file this post under “in case of mr. right”