Fleeing

August 26, 2011 · 23 comments

Chloe and I fled Virginia Beach once an evacuation was issued for my area for hurricane Irene.

So, where did we find ourselves at midnight last night? Arriving right here at my sisters house outside of Fredericksburg, VA.

so happy to have escaped to safety.

My day has been spent doggy-proofing Amy’s house (read: hiding all the weebles, dolls, and cat food), sending out some work e-mails, and researching the best way to tend to my hurting IT band.

My plan of attack? I’ve got a 4:00 p.m. sports massage scheduled.

Dear IT Band gods. Please heal me.

And dear Irene, please be nice to my house. I will cry if I return to a soiled shoe collection, flooded printer, and broken [brand new] television.

At least, I’ve got my priorities straight, right?

1 anastasia August 26, 2011 at 6:43 pm

i love that i feel like i can pet my neice through that photo. i also love that you have a cosmo neatly tucked away for chlo’s viewing pleasure throughout your drive ;)

2 Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian August 26, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Oh yes, I totally agree your priorities are straight!!

Best of luck to your house! :)
Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian recently posted..Wrongful idea???My Profile

3 sara @ the foodie diaries August 26, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Don’t worry, I think by teh time she gets up into the Northeast she’ll only be a Category 2 hurricane, it’s not bad :) I’m sure your house will be just fine! We made it through Charlie pretty much unscathed (thank you Lord!) and that was a Category 4!!
sara @ the foodie diaries recently posted..Adios Orlando!My Profile

4 Claire @ let's go on a living spree August 26, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Glad you were able to get out okay! Not sure if it’ll be open, but if you’re in Fredericksburg, you might as well drive up to Potomac Mills and hit up the outlets :-)

Totally feel your pain on the ITBS. Mine only gets really bad if I do a lot of spinning/biking and then run (like I did in my half ironman…which almost killed me lol). I’m sure you’re foam rollin’ like noone’s business, but “the stick” is also really good so that you can massage it even when you’re sitting on the couch. Feel better!
Claire @ let’s go on a living spree recently posted..Mystery ShoppingMy Profile

5 Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola August 26, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Omigosh this hurricane stuff sounds scary!! Living in CA I’ve never experienced it, but you East coasters have a lot to deal with! Hopefully it won’t cause too much damage though and everyone will stay safe. And girl, I’d be worried about my shoes too!!! ;)
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..Fave 5 FridayMy Profile

6 Jamie@cupcakedynamite August 26, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I bet you can’t wait til me and danny move in….. BAHAHAHHA. Hoping the ocean stays where it BELONGS.
Jamie@cupcakedynamite recently posted..a WIAW freak outMy Profile

7 Sam@SamBockIllustration&Design August 26, 2011 at 7:49 pm

AH! This hurricane! WHAT is going on?! Supposed to be pretty intense here in South Jerz. Good thing I wasn’t planning on going to the shore this weekend!!! These evacuations are scaryyyy. Glad you and Chloe are safe and sound. And your priorities? =Straight.

As for your IT band….I myself am suffering with ridiculous hip problems. Pretty much fell out of bed today …guess thirteen years of dancing = bursitis and borderline rhuematoid arthritis for some. Fabulous. I think a massage is in order for me, too, good idea!
Sam@SamBockIllustration&Design recently posted..You Can Stand Under My Umbrella-Ella-EllaMy Profile

8 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry August 26, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I’m glad to hear you guys are safe and sound! I hope your house is a-okay!!!!
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Elvis Impersonator BBQMy Profile

9 Nikki August 26, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I had IT band syndrome with my last marathon. Lots of ice, lots of foam rolling, and lots of stretching. That’s the best advice. There is a stretch you do in yoga, where you put the affected IT band leg in front of you, bent and then the other one straight behind you and try to reach your head and chest to the floor. I find that one works the best for me. You can also do one where you lay on your back, bend you affected knee, and place it on top of the unaffected knee and bring that to your chest. Those were life savers for me. Good luck and I’m glad you’re safe!
Nikki recently posted..I.AM.BACK.My Profile

10 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 26, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Wow, this hurricane stuff is so scary! I hope everything works out well for your house!! And yes, you totally have your priorities straight :)
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..8 Miles and Sports BrasMy Profile

11 Ali @ Ali Runs August 26, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I’m glad you have somewhere to go! My family just got back from a quick trip to Rhode Island and they were really bracing for a big hit there. Let’s hope it isn’t as bad as they are predicting.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..I <3 Lob-stah!My Profile

12 Lisa August 26, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Great that you had somewhere to flee to! Hopefully, your stuff will all survive without any damage…

Interested to hear about the sports massage!
Lisa recently posted..New is New…and Old can be New too.My Profile

13 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy August 26, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I’m glad that you’re safe! Hopefully everything is okay when you go back home!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Why Do You Workout?My Profile

14 Brittany @ LessBritt MoreLife August 26, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I’m glad you’re safe! Too bad you’re not in the Fredericksburg in Texas ;)
Brittany @ LessBritt MoreLife recently posted..LifeMy Profile

15 Tiffany August 27, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Glad you and Miss Chloe got out of there! I’m so over this hurricane–we’ll see if she has the stamina to go all night long, heeeeey o!
Tiffany recently posted..Input thisMy Profile

16 Jamie @ snacktress August 27, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Straight priorities, FOR SURE. I hope everyone stays safe (everyone including your shoes and television, duh).

17 Lizzie August 27, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Stay safe!!!!
Lizzie recently posted..PB&J in COOKIE dough form?!My Profile

18 Emily @ Living & Learning August 28, 2011 at 12:32 am

glad you & chloe both made it out safely & in time! I’ve been watching the CNN coverage of it all day today – you’re in my thoughts!
Emily @ Living & Learning recently posted..RecoveringMy Profile

19 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 28, 2011 at 11:58 am

Stay safe, girl!! And I’m really sorry about the injury. :( I just hurt my knee running yesterday, so I feel your pain. I have no idea how it happened, but shooting pains started going through my knee around mile 6. I’m icing as we speak. Grr!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Grown-Up Grilled Cheese.My Profile

20 Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn August 29, 2011 at 12:30 pm

So glad you got away ok and I really hope your house survives!!
Stay safe now!
Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn recently posted..Work Those ArmsMy Profile

21 Sami August 29, 2011 at 3:08 pm

stinking irene. glad you made it safely and enjoy the massage!

xo.
Sami recently posted..The Good Life: Part IIMy Profile

22 Rachel @ The Avid Appetite August 29, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Glad you are staying safe! We lost power yesterday, but it was back on at night thankfully!
Rachel @ The Avid Appetite recently posted..Being Unprepared for a HurricaneMy Profile