Welp, That Was A Bad Idea.

July 22, 2011 · 38 comments

Remember how my first 14-mile long run was on my training schedule for yesterday?

And how an average of 17 people told Rob and me we were crazy for attempting to do this on the hottest day of the year?

Mother Nature, you’re so fired as my marathon trainer.

We figured we’d be fine since we weren’t heading out to run until 7 p.m.

Wrong.

After arriving home from work and playing with Chloe for a bit, I prepped for a hot one.

P.S. All of that was consumed. No fluids left. All in my belly.

The Road ID in case I ended up on the ground not breathing

Lots and lots’a Gu

(I’ve decided my absolute favorite flavors are Mint Chocolate and Apple Pie, btw. Just in case anyone felt like sending a care package for the runner-in-the-heat.)

After checking the weather, I was starting to feel a little anxious.

On the way to Mt. Trashmore (a park which used to be a landfill, as its name suggests), I made sure my Gu was nice and chilled to lower my body temp a little.

Oh, just putting my AC vents to good use

I pulled up next to Robby at the park, and we were off.

At mile 3, it got rough.

At mile 6, we were hating our lives.

This is where I got a little emotional. I was so frustrated with myself. I had been so geared up to run “THE FARTHEST I HAVE EVER RUN AT ONE TIME. IN MY WHOLE LIFE! :-D ,” but it was very clear that wasn’t going to be possible in the obnoxious heat.

Interesting that just a few days ago, I just did a post about running in the heat. I found myself mentally going through the side effects of heat syncope: I was dizzy, I was getting some tunnel vision, and I was feeling weak. Awesome.

I was feeling like such a letdown. A letdown to myself, a letdown to all you guys, and a letdown to my marathon training.

It did make me feel a little better that my rockstar running buddy was also feeling pretty craptastic. We almost ended up giving in completely after 6 miles, but resolved to switching to a walk.

After about a mile of walking and lots of Powerade Zero chugging, we felt okay enough to jog.

And even though we didn’t exactly feel like rockstars, we did end up covering a little over 13 miles.

A really, really slow 13.

It wasn’t 14. But in that heat, I’ll take it.

And what did we learn through all of this?

• Plan ahead. Bring lots and lots of electrolytes.
  • If the weather is calling for fire-breathing dragons, don’t run outside.
  • Listen to your body. Don’t push it.

… And go get a 711 coke/cherry-apple slurpee after you’re finished ’cause it will make you happy again.

And then go stuff your face with chocolate milk and pasta with pink sauce, spinach, sauteed mushrooms, and squash.

Oh. one more lesson learned: don’t leave your iTouch on your back bumper after running in deliriating (yeah, I just made that word up) temperatures.

You may get lucky and have no one steal it at the park. You may get really lucky and not have it fall off on your drive home. You may get even luckier when no one steals it off your car in your neighborhood. And you may even drive slow enough to work that it stays on your bumper the entire way.

And then, you may be lucky enough to receive a call at work that someone spotted it on your car and brought it into the main office.

Thank you, kind soul. I would have missed that iTouch.

P.S. It’s A-L-Y-S-S-A. :) Go Phillies!

1 Cara @ ChicMeetsHealthy July 22, 2011 at 5:01 pm

wow you are awesome for being able to go 13 miles in yesterdays heat! that is insane. no matter how slow, that is very brave/crazy of you! i can’t believe you left the itouch on your bumper for so long and it survived!
Cara @ ChicMeetsHealthy recently posted..Stuff Me BabyMy Profile

2 Nicole @ Of Cookies and Carrots July 22, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Girl you cray-cray. I’m impressed at your run anyways! :) I sweat like crazy even when it’s not that hot. So I don’t know how you do it. ;)

Also I had my first slurpee of my life the other day. ’twas delicious!
n
Nicole @ Of Cookies and Carrots recently posted..the boy who lived [universal studios]My Profile

3 Diana July 22, 2011 at 5:32 pm

GAHHH I am in a similar boat – I signed up for the Queens Half Marathon despite hearing the horror stories of how hot it was last year and yup, went ahead and checked the expected weather for race day as it’s only a week away…95 degrees. IDIOT.
Diana recently posted..Everybody’s sweatin for the weekendMy Profile

4 Brandi @ The Vitamin Bee July 22, 2011 at 5:58 pm

You ran 13 miles at Mt Trashmore? WOW!! I go a little crazy doing 5 there. The circles drive me bananas! You’re a superwoman for sure.

And Mint Chocolate Gu is the bomb dot com!

I cant believe you still have your ipod touch after all that!
Brandi @ The Vitamin Bee recently posted..6th Annual 21st BirthdayMy Profile

5 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 24, 2011 at 11:34 pm

haahaha. circles do me good. ;)

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 22, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Wow, I have so much to say about that post that I don’t even know where to start!! :P But good for you for not completely killing yourself. I’m sure it was frustrating that it didn’t go as planned, but you still did awesome and should feel proud!! :)

And I love your lesson about the iTouch. Hilarious. I’m glad that you got “lucky!” ;)

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 22, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Oh and P.S. that pasta looks delicious!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Funny lessons in marriage.My Profile

8 Jamie July 22, 2011 at 6:08 pm

OMG you drove around with your ipod on your car? LOLOL you are so lucky it was returned/not stolen at ghetto mt. t….. JEEEEEEEZ! Good job on the run :D you should yoga flow at 4:30 with me !
Jamie recently posted..bff: flashback fridayMy Profile

9 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 24, 2011 at 11:33 pm

oooh, how was it?!

10 Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission July 22, 2011 at 7:22 pm

The weather was definitely calling for fire breathing dragons today. It felt like the end of the movie Knowing when I was rollerblading today.
You’re a brave soul for running in this heat.
bhahhaa I can’t believe that about your iPod touch.. so lucky!!! That would be traumatizing losing something like that.
Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission recently posted..The Worst & Best Idea EverMy Profile

11 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 24, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I seriously would be lost without it. I’m an idiot.

12 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 22, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Oh my gosh, I think it’s amazing that you even made it that far! I think I would have gotten back in the car as soon as I stepped out of it haha.
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..A Little More SeriousMy Profile

13 Nikki July 22, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I can’t believe you did that! I would have given up at 6 for sure. I tried to do a 16 miler in the heat once and gave up at 8. Sometimes you need to think smart and cut your losses about the training and move on. Less miles does not mean you won’t cross the finish line.
Nikki recently posted..For the love of food.My Profile

14 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 24, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I need to keep that in mind waayy more often than I do.

15 Royar July 22, 2011 at 8:01 pm

You are offish my hero for running at Mt. Trashmore yesterday. You’re so lucky about your iTouch not falling off! XO

16 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 24, 2011 at 11:34 pm

still waiting for our coffee date, missy!

17 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie July 22, 2011 at 8:41 pm

dude, how the hell did you run 13 miles in yesterdays heat? you are a champ in my book…no letting down over here!!

i cannot believe that your itouch stayed on your car, lucky woman!
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..Beat the HeatMy Profile

18 Holly July 22, 2011 at 8:42 pm

OMG! I CANNOT believe your ipod stayed on your BUMPER. you must have a very strong magnetic bumper or something. that is INSANE!! :D
Must of been karma because of the AWESOME run you did…so someone thought they would be nice since you worked your TAIL off!! GO YOU on that run! You are a ROCKSTAR. FOR REAL.
Holly recently posted..Emergency PostMy Profile

19 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 24, 2011 at 11:32 pm

maybe I’m just an awesome driver ;) aaha but thank you, holls. :)

20 Christina July 22, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Ahhh, that SUCKS…but hey, mother nature can’t menstruate all the time..you’ll get your super long run in some other time…when it’s not hellish outside! You’re smart to bring all the essentials and to stay hydrated! I made the awful mistake of drinking a cup of coffee an hour before my six miler..I got so dehydrated near the end that I had to stop! Boo but lesson learned!

and I read your post before this one…all I gotta say is, she better choose J.P. ;)

21 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 24, 2011 at 11:32 pm

YIKES, that coffee had to have made you feel a little less than awesome.

22 Emily July 22, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Girl, I give you all the credit in the world. Granted you love running, but it takes SO much motivation for me to even get out the door let alone push myself enough to go when it’s hot as balls out. I’ve never had gnu….

23 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 24, 2011 at 11:31 pm

gu is awesome when you need kick of energy at mile 6 or so. :)

24 lindsay July 22, 2011 at 8:49 pm

oh girl, thats rough. I would have worn an ice pack on my back. But slurpees are the best for hydration. for real!
lindsay recently posted..Linkin’ LindsayMy Profile

25 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 24, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I haven’t yet tried the ice pack on the back trick!

26 Carolyn @ Lovin' Losing July 22, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I’m sorry! I was definitely concerned when I read you were planning on running outside yesterday. At the peak of it I looked on the weather channel and the heat index was 119. :( 13 miles is amazing, though!
Carolyn @ Lovin’ Losing recently posted..Score!My Profile

27 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 24, 2011 at 11:30 pm

ugh. it was ROUGH.

28 Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) July 22, 2011 at 9:13 pm

You continue to inspire me Alyssa. You will get that 14 miles in and I can only imagine the temperatures in VA right now. It’s crazy up north in Ohio booo. I agree though electrolyte it up like a champion. I’m always thankful mount trashmore never smells terrible in the immense heat. ;)
Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) recently posted..Socially Awkward Musings in the BCsMy Profile

29 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 24, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Hollz, loves you.

30 Dad July 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm

some nice people at trashmore, I guess. Lucky you.
XO
Dad

31 Whitney July 23, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I’m so impressed! I ran yesterday around 6:30 and thought I was going to die and begging for my misery to end.

Pasta looks awesome. Have a good weekend.

32 Baking Serendipity July 23, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Crazy girl! I can’t believe you ran in that kind of weather. In the summer I run early in the morning (before the sun is up, seriously) to get an outdoor run in during the coolest part of the day or cave and head to the gym. I never make it 13 miles though! Impressive :)
Baking Serendipity recently posted..Dark Chocolate Cherry MuffinsMy Profile

33 Samantha July 24, 2011 at 8:23 pm

A road ID? Good idea. (new subbie btw). Yea summer weather is no joke. I tend to run at night simply because I can’t get my butt out of bed all the time.
Samantha recently posted..Week 9 HairMy Profile

34 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry July 24, 2011 at 10:06 pm

You are my idol. 13 miles in that heat is RIDIC. I’m sure I would have given up…
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Girls’ Muskoka TripMy Profile

35 Brittany July 25, 2011 at 2:03 am

Whoa! Girl- you are crazy. Tomorrow I’m planning on tackling my first 8 mile run…on the treadmill. I aspire to be like you. :P
I just started my own blog, hope you stop by!
Have a great day! :)
Brittany recently posted..I felt like crawling up the stairs…My Profile

36 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 26, 2011 at 1:28 am

aaww, thanks Brittany! you’re too sweet. and now I hafta go check out your blog! :)