The Day I Punched a Fitness Instructor

July 8, 2011 · 45 comments

Fine, I didn’t really.

That doesn’t mean I didn’t want to.

I wasn’t feelin’ so fresh after yesterday’s Tabata TNT group exercise class.

Post-work, I scooped up these two for a killer workout class. We had plans to run afterwards. Three guesses as to whether that really happened or not…

ready to work on our fitness

TABATA TNT is french for “I just made you sore enough to waddle for a week.”

I made that up. It’s really “a super intense class that will blast your workout to another level with 20 second sprints and 10 second rest intervals for 8 sets.”

Fun fact: I hate burpees. I hate, hate, hate them.

No other fitness move in the world makes me want to punch myself in the face more.

And this class made me do EIGHT 20-second sets of them.

I texted my college field hockey coach to tell her I was thinking of her today. She knows how much I hated those burpees.

“Go do burpees till you walk like baby Bambi on an icy lake.”

The fitness class alternated between a cardio-based sprint and a weight-lifting sprint. In addition to the burpees, our class included spin bike sprints (some standing), squats with overhead presses, alternating bicep curls, weighted one-armed sit-ups, pushups, jump squats, banded lateral walks, jump roping, and more.

That’s how my quads feel today. Katelyn and Jamie feel the same way.

After TABATA TNT, I introduced Katelyn to a few of my favorite things, the first being the Farm Fresh salad bar.

Did you know you can sample from this too?

Or maybe you’re not supposed to. But I do it anyway, and I’ve never gotten yelled at.

My final product: a mess of spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, squash, turkey, pinto and green bean salad, corn, raisins, cabbage, quinoa, crumbled feta, and poppyseed dressing. All in my nice pie plate.

With some chocolate milk for my poor sore muscles.

And this was Katelyn’s face when I told her I was taking her to The Skinny Dip for some vegan froyo.

I had a slight mishap at the granola dispenser. Sad, cause you can’t even see the dark chocolate froyo mixed with oreo peanut butter froyo topped with coconut, Oreos, cheesecake bites, almonds, and Reece’s cups. BAM!

That belly wants froyo!

96 seconds later.

And for one last laugh at my expense, look how ridiculously I have to contort my body to fit into a picture with shorty Katelyn. Let’s just chalk that up as a Tall Girl Fail.

Coming soon: my new upper-body workout regime. Get ready to get those arms in gear.

HAPPY WEEKEND! You’ll find me foam rolling my poor quads. Those are my plans.

P.S. If you’re curious about how I decided to train for my first marathon, go read my guest post at Less Britt More Life!

1 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 8, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Annnnnd that’s why I said yesterday that I would just meet you at the fro-yo shop! 😉 But good for you… you’re a better woman than I am! 😛

2 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 8, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Um, I woke up this morning and realized that run would not happen. Ouch.

Hehe I love being 5’2.25″. That quarter of an inch is a BIG DEAL.

Have you ever noticed that tempo’s make you look like you have a front butt? I look presh in those pictures. Front butt and all.

3 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate July 8, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Hey! I just found your blog!

Good luck with the marathon 🙂

4 Liz @ Something To Chew On July 8, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I thought the salad looked amazing…and then I scrolled down to the froyo. Now I can’t decide which looks tastier!

Happy foam rolling! 😉

5 Kat July 8, 2011 at 4:46 pm

This class sounds PERFECT for me. I bet I would have loved it (though I’m sure my muscles would have hated it!) Although I do hate burpees with a firey passion. I mean I LOATHE them. BUT, they do their job don’t they?! I do however love squat jumps and jump lunges. I think I have a serious issue…

6 Megan July 8, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I don’t think I would survive that class!!

7 Nicole @ Of Cookies and Carrots July 8, 2011 at 5:21 pm

You are both gorgeous & I’m jealous of your shenanigans! 🙂 Looks like fun… painful fun.

I’m really really jealous of your froyo…. I haven’t had any in foreeeever!

8 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry July 8, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I HATE BURPEES!!!! I want burpees to die.
You gals are beautiful 🙂

9 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat July 8, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Is it bad that I was hoping you actually did punch someone? haha.

10 Jamie July 8, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I CAN’T MOVE.

11 Leah @ Why Deprive? July 8, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Yah, Im pretty sure I’d start crying halfway through that class. It sounds insane.

12 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 8, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Omg that class sound insanely hard!! I would love to take one…actually I’d probably regret it after haha. Your fro-yo looks super yummy 🙂

13 Megan July 8, 2011 at 10:56 pm

You two are gorgeous! Love how you have to squat down in that picture.
I’m 4’11 1/4 so you’d really have to get down to reach my height 😛

Burpees do suck! haha.

14 Presley (Run Pretty) July 8, 2011 at 11:56 pm

You two are gorgeous! That looks like an all-around awesome day…

15 Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel July 9, 2011 at 12:02 am

LOL:) work it girl!

you look so gorgeous after a workout, it defies all science hehe xoxo

16 Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) July 9, 2011 at 12:55 am

OH MY GAWDD. OKAY SO.
I didn’t know anyone else was obsessed with the FF salad bar. Can we please have a date there? We really need to get on it. I somehow managed to weasel my way out of burpees most of the time cross training-thank god. HA.

17 Meg July 9, 2011 at 3:10 am

I have your legs.

They ran away and are currently seeking refuge under my kitchen table. Don’t worry I’ve got plenty of pickles and cake batter ice cream. They’ll be just fine and ready to come back to their abuser tomorrow.

🙂 love you.

18 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie July 9, 2011 at 11:56 am

vegan ice cream!? thats amazing… im lactose intollerant but still eat it because im insane. i might have to come visit you.

19 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 9, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Agh, I HATE burpees! My gym has a body toning class that sounds very similar to the class you took…about a month ago the instructor made us do burpees over and over and over and over again. They make me want to scream. Haha.

20 Nikki July 9, 2011 at 2:37 pm

You are so beautiful! I don’t even know what burpees are?!

One time I decided I was going to start lifting…and i was going to lift hard. Well I did it so hard and so heavy that I literally could not reach my arm over my head or bend my elbow to put hair behind my head because my arms were so sore…FOR THREE DAYS.

🙂

21 Er July 9, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I hate burpees…Shaun T makes me do way to many. With pushups included. UGH!! When I think of college fh I cannot believe all of the crazy ass sprints I survived! How did I do that? lol

22 katie July 9, 2011 at 5:38 pm

youre like.. so hilarious and so cool. i want to be real life friends with you

23 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com July 9, 2011 at 5:43 pm

That class sounds KILLER!!! WOW!!! I loved your title…HILARIOUS!!! Okay, I ALWAYS test things out at the salad bar! I need fro-yo NOW!

24 Amy @ CountryStrong21 July 9, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Oh gosh remind me to never visit you…I’m too young to die! 😉

Lookin’ good girl!

25 Niki (Life's a Payne) July 10, 2011 at 11:33 am

That post put a smile on my face first thing this morning. Hilarious! It also put me in the mood for an i-want-to-kill-myself-type workout. I think I have been a bit too easy on myself lately! haha! Great post!

26 Tiffany @ Simply Shaka July 10, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Burpees suck. They absolutely kill my legs but at the same time I totally see how they work. But yeah, no thank you, I will pass. I did them at a martial arts class in February and it jacked up my knee. Good for you getting your burn on though 🙂

27 Morgan @ Operation Hot Mama July 11, 2011 at 12:22 am

makes you waddle for a week……hahaha too funny!!!