STRIVING for Effective Weight Training

July 19, 2011 · 31 comments

I am the least observant person in the whole world.

I never remember what people are wearing, and if you’ve lost or gained weight, just expect me to be the last person to ever notice. I’m really sorry, but I can’t help it.

So it didn’t surprise me when I just realized this week my gym has a Strive strength machine circuit. I kinda wanted to do heel clicks and backflips.. that’s how excited I was.

(source)

I was first introduced to Strive training when I visited my sister’s gym in Northern Virginia. I loved the concept, and had I known I had a Strive circuit at my fingertips, I would have been utilizing it for months now.

Guess I’ve gotta learn to look around more, huh?

The Strive “Smart Strength System” claims to be is the most effective training system available by using an adjustable cam instead of a traditional fixed cam resistance.

“Smart Strength enables you to vary peak resistance at any point in the range of motion to work each muscle more completely for shorter, more effective workouts, without over-training.”

In a nutshell, the Strive machine has a lever with settings 1, 2, and 3. You start at level 1, complete 2-12 reps, then switch the lever to level 2. Then complete 2-12 more reps. Then, switch to level 3 and do the 2-12 reps one more time. The different levels put the highest resistance on different points in the workout.

At level 1, the pull is hardest in the middle. At level 2, it’s at the beginning. Then, at level 3, it’s most difficult at the end.

There are also settings 4 and 5 for “advanced” lifting.

Me likey.

So, for my cross-training day yesterday, I completed a Strive circuit after 20 minutes on the stationary bike and 20 minutes on this thing catching up on blogs on my iPad.

oh hey, Megan!

As you can see, I’m working on incorporating more cross-training into my marathon training schedule. I have a habit of running and running every day, and I know I need to fix this to avoid my recurring injuries.

I want to take more fitness classes, but as we all know, those can leave me sore for 5 days. Fail. I have no pool for lap-swimming, and the elliptical bores me to death. I’m going to work on figuring out alternatives to running that will still keep me in shape on my off-days.

I had one of those workout days that left me feeling like I may nod off mid-rep and bonk my head on the nearest dumbbell.

Thankfully, I had one of these babies to refuel me after I was finished…

Mah first Cliff bar experience. White Chocolate Macadamia Nut granola.

It tastes a lot like the Nature Valley granola bars. I’m a fan.

Then again, I’ve never disliked any type of granola, have I?

1 Amy July 19, 2011 at 4:27 pm

My college had those types of machines, I loved them! Too bad I graduated 4 years ago and haven’t been able to find them since.

2 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 19, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I think I may have you beat for the “least observant” title. “Oh, you just cut the grass? No, I didn’t notice that it was no longer 3 feet high.” “Oh wow, you lost 50 pounds? Now that you mention it, you do look fitter!” “There was an alligator in the road? No, I didn’t see it.”

Seriously. It’s a little embarrassing. :/
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Guess who’s back?My Profile

3 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 19, 2011 at 5:36 pm

haha! so glad I’m not alone.

4 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat July 19, 2011 at 4:43 pm

There’s no way macadamia white chocolate ANYTHING would be anything but delish.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Pizza PizzaMy Profile

5 Nikki July 19, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Those machines look really cool! I wish my gym had one!

I am so jeally of your iPad reading at the gym. That is a great idea and I need one stat.

6 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 19, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I honestly don’t use it all too much.. just for work stuff and the gym!

7 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry July 19, 2011 at 4:57 pm

BUT, is it better than the Bowflex?! ;)

I want an iPad. Reallyreally badly.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Don’t Stop.My Profile

8 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 19, 2011 at 5:35 pm

it’s so handy for the gym… I need to get movies on it to really keep myself busy. p.s. it’s not mine… I get it for work

9 Kristine @ Running On Hungry July 19, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I need to try that granola bar. Have you had White Choc Mac Luna bars? AMAZING!
Kristine @ Running On Hungry recently posted..Winter in JulyMy Profile

10 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 19, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I still have yet to try a Luna bar. try to not gasp at me.

11 Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) July 19, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Girl I am the same way. I can never tell when people do things. Actually true life, yesterday in class my lab partner Latisha came in and had removed her weave and I didn’t realize it was her. I literally asked-oh are you in a different section? BAHAH she was like uhh Hollie, I’ve been your lab partner all summer.
Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) recently posted..Swimming and BroskiMy Profile

12 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm

ahah! oopth?

13 Mel July 19, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Never heard of the strive machine but it looks pretty neat! I’m a big fan of the precor adaptive motion trainer (aka that thing with the yellow pedals) – - I do intervals on resistance 12 -> 14 -> 16 and end with 18.. it kicks my bootyy!

On the flip side, I’m embarrassingly attentive to a point where people think I must be stalking them. hahaha (Which I am..on Facebook)
Mel recently posted..Microwave Mexican BreakfastMy Profile

14 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm

haaha. Facebook so doesn’t count. I can usually keep up with stuff on there. ;)

15 Er July 19, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I love the Strive machines, as well! Such a great concept!

I’m really oblivious when I am walking- I guess I just go into my own world. People in college would be straight in front of me, practically screaming my name, and I would walk right by them. And I still do that when I pass coworkers at lunch- I’ll walk by them and realize a minute later, oh I think that was Mike waving hello in my face. Whatevs!

16 lindsay July 19, 2011 at 7:36 pm

oh i’ve never heard of that training, must look into it. Do they come with free cliff crunch bars? ha, jk….kinda.
lindsay recently posted..Oddly DeliciousMy Profile

17 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 20, 2011 at 2:23 am

aahaha. if so, sign me up. there’s a concept… free food for a weights workout? ;)

18 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie July 19, 2011 at 8:15 pm

The clif mountain mix is SOOO good. You have to try that!!
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..Chocolate Almond Butter GranolaMy Profile

19 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 20, 2011 at 2:22 am

oooh! that’s next on my list!

20 Tiffany @ Simply Shaka July 19, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Dont notice when people gain weight? I need to become bffs with you!

I havent seen those crunch bars but now I think I need one. Maybe I will go to my second Target of the day just to get it!
Tiffany @ Simply Shaka recently posted..Up to BeantownMy Profile

21 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 20, 2011 at 2:21 am

I found mine at Walmart!

22 O.C. July 19, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Ooohh I’ve never tried a cliff crunch bar before but I loveee Cliff bars and White Chocolate Macadamia is one of my faves! I’m gonna look for these :)
O.C. recently posted..Sick day & Caramel chickpeas!My Profile

23 Katie July 19, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Do you have body combat at your gym? That is my fave class everrr, its super easy to catch on and only leaves you a little sore once you get the hang of it..the first couple of times I just flailed and I’m pretty sure I got nothing accomplished. Things I should do: join a gym.

24 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 20, 2011 at 2:20 am

UGH. no, we don’t! maybeeeee there’s one in nova? :)

25 Vanessa @ Sweaty in Pink July 20, 2011 at 12:40 am

Ah, if it tastes like Nature Valley it must be amazing! Those are my absolute favorite granola bars.
Vanessa @ Sweaty in Pink recently posted..Introducing: Music Mondays!My Profile

26 Sam July 20, 2011 at 3:36 am

I am the EXACT same way! I notice random things with no importance though, sometimes. My boyfriend doesn’t like it all the much…hehe. That sounds like a really cool machine, I wonder if my gym has one ;)
Sam recently posted..Facing [silly] FearsMy Profile

27 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 20, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Wow that Strive thing sounds really cool!! I’ve never seen or heard of it! I love that you were catching up on blogs while working out…if I had an iPad I would totally do the same thing :)
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Chris Kicked My ButtMy Profile

28 katie July 20, 2011 at 5:55 pm

That is really cool!! AHHH I wish I had an IPAD. i am so jealous. Hahah I am so not observant at ALL either, no worries.