Running In The HEAT

July 13, 2011 · 33 comments

Who has the coolest neighbor ever?

Me. I do.

When Runner’s World showed up in my mailbox, I was so confused.

“When did I sign up for a free issue of Runners World?” I was thinking. I figured I got it free with a race registration and enjoyed my first issue.

Then this one arrived. I was even more confused. I figured someone at the Runner’s World offices just decided they liked me. Maybe they liked my name. Maybe they knew someone who is running just under 40 miles per week deserves a free Runners World subscription.

Apparently, this wasn’t the case.

My awesome neighbor and a good friend of my parents, Bob, ordered a subscription to Runner’s World for me. Cause he’s awesome (thanks, Bob!)

So this baby got me through my 8-mile run yesterday.

The author of this article ran the “Hottest Half” in Texas. With some expert help, he did a study of how to properly cool and hydrate himself for a half marathon in some outrageous heat and humidity.

Since we’re all battling the heat with our workouts, I thought we could all benefit from the facts I learned in this Runner’s World article.

Did you know?

• Drinking a frozen drink an hour before a race is one precooling measure that can help lower core body temperature.

Now, this kinda shocked me. This guy had a cola-flavored slurpee before a half marathon. I love, love these things for after a long run, but for some reason, they always seemed taboo to me for beforehand.

To Properly Hydrate

• To figure out how much water you need to consume during your run to properly hydrate your body, you should weigh yourself (“naaakeeeyy“) on an empty bladder before run. Keep track of how much you drunk during the run at race-pace, then weigh yourself naked after the run. Then, subtract your postrun weight from your prerun weight. Convert the difference into ounces ( your number x 16), and add that number to the amount of ounces you drank during your run. Then divide your hourly fluid loss by four to figure out how much water you need to drink every 15 minutes.

Did that make any sense? Great.

*Sidenote: whenever anyone says the word “naked,” I totally think of that Rocko’s Modern Life episode. Anyone? Anyone?

Tips for Running in Heat & Humidity

• In high heat (85+ degrees), reduce run by 20%
  • In high head AND high humidity, stick to easy runs or use treadmill
  • In high humidity (over 60%), drop your pace

one. hot. run.

The guy who wrote this article even swallowed a little thermometer which tracked his internal temperature.

His story also made me so happy I was reading while bopping along on my treadmill in some air conditioning.

To Recognize Dangerous Heat Effects

• HEAT CRAMPS are painful muscle contractions. Symptoms show as dehydration/cramps/fatigue. To Treat, massage/rehydrate.
  • HEAT EXHAUSTION is an inability to continue to exercise due to overwhelmed cardiovascular system or depleted energy. Symptoms show as fatigue/irritability/nausea. To Treat, move to shade/elevate legs/apply ice bags/rehydrate.
  • HEAT SYNCOPE is a fainting episode that occurs in high temps. Symptoms show as dizziness, tunnel vision, pale skin, weakness, decreased pulse. To treat, move to shade/elevate legs/rehydrate.
  • EXERTIONAL HEATSTROKE is a potentially fatal condition when your body reaches a core temp of 105 degrees. Symptoms are hyperventilation/disorientation/dizziness/vomiting

I totally had heat syncope during diving team pictures in 6th grade. It made for a totally awesome picture. I look like an axe murderer suffering from a bout of pneumonia. I also almost smacked my head against the diving board as I went down.

I’ve always been the life of the party.

Don’t forget. A hydrated runner is a happy runner.

1 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries July 13, 2011 at 7:07 pm

My run-in-the-heat solution?

Don’t πŸ˜‰

Are we still friends even though I’m not a good runner?
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Taking the HighroadMy Profile

2 Tiffany July 13, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Great helpful post, thanks!!
especially applicable to me as I’m moving from sf to texas and will now be training there, YUCK.

3 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 13, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Very cool post (literally! haha… yeah, I’m a dork!). πŸ™‚

I’m visiting my mom in Florida this week, and the humidity is insane. I’m not sure how I’m going to do my long run on Saturday… but I know I plan on waking up very, very early!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Utterly Reese’sMy Profile

4 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry July 13, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I don’t run in the heat! Nooo fanks. Either first thing in the am, or in the evening. It works out. But fab tips, and your neighbs IS awesome!
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Camping is the JAMMy Profile

5 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 13, 2011 at 7:50 pm

My run in the heat solution is doing it inside on the treadmill with the AC blasting :). Then again, I don’t really run that much haha. Do you hate me? Love you!
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Friendship QualitiesMy Profile

6 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 13, 2011 at 9:35 pm

When I saw this issue at Weggies today, I had to resist buying it before it came in the mail. My solution: don’t run at all. On those days I do spinning instead πŸ˜‰
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Secret Ingredient of the Year + Whew!My Profile

7 Rach July 13, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Wow! What a great neighbor! And great tips on hydration. πŸ™‚
Rach recently posted..My very first WIAW!My Profile

8 Jamie July 13, 2011 at 10:32 pm

The man swallowed a THERMOMETER!? Now that’s hardcore! These are good tips- I’m honestly nervous to hop on the treadmill soon after being so hot here that my lips are all chapped. GROSS. Get me back in VA with you! I’m bored. πŸ™
Jamie recently posted..o captain my captain, where is your mom?My Profile

9 Laura @ Cookies vs. Carrots July 13, 2011 at 11:25 pm

These are interesting tips! Especially since there is high heat and humidity in Atlanta pretty much April-October! Gotta love my city πŸ™‚
Laura @ Cookies vs. Carrots recently posted..Nice and SmoothMy Profile

10 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli July 13, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Wow! Best neighbor ever! That’s awesome! I had a mysterious magazine show up in my mailbox the other day…I WISH it had been Runner’s World, but sadly, it was Redbook…who reads Redbook? Let me rephrase that, who under the age of 40 reads Redbook? lol

Most weeks, I can get my run in in the early morning (high humidity but at least the temperatures are a bit lower), but on weeks that I go into work earlier, I just have to suck it up and use the treadmill. Props for doing an 8 miler on the treadmill! The furthest I’ve gone is 5.5 and I was SO bored! Haha!

11 Allison @ Happy Tales July 14, 2011 at 12:44 am

Whoaaaaa, your neighbor is AWESOME!!!!!!!! Also, it took me like 3 tries to spell “neighbor” correctly. Apparently grad school is frying my brain… OH WAIT, it’s the summer heat. Ima go chug a cola slurpee, now.

PS. love ALL of these tips!!!!!!!!!!!!
Allison @ Happy Tales recently posted..I <3 Wilmington, NCMy Profile

12 Sarah OUaL July 14, 2011 at 12:47 am

Dang all my neighbors do is make the hallways smell like curry and let their dogs bark all night – Does your neighbor Bob have any equally-nice friends living in the OC somewhere?
Sarah OUaL recently posted..Gratuitous Wedding Shot of the DayMy Profile

13 Cassie July 14, 2011 at 1:08 am

Free subscription…sounds like a great neighbor!
Cassie recently posted..Thanks a Million!My Profile

14 Megan July 14, 2011 at 1:50 am

If it gets too hot, I won’t even bother running outside and the treadmill will be my next choice πŸ˜›
Megan recently posted..WIAW #4My Profile

15 Brittany @ LessBritt MoreLife July 14, 2011 at 2:13 am

I’m working on getting a gym membership in Austin ESPECIALLY for the summertime πŸ™‚
Brittany @ LessBritt MoreLife recently posted..Moving to Austin Partay!My Profile

16 anastasia July 14, 2011 at 2:32 am

i miss reading your blogggyyy everyday and seeing your face! love the post as alwaysss :). of course the sweaty runners are beautiful too, hehe πŸ˜‰

17 meg @ pinkgiggles July 14, 2011 at 4:10 am

Something similar happened to me with Cooking Light magazine… It appeared in my mailbox as if from nowhere…I thought somehow I was rewarded for experimenting in the kitchen…but then I got a bill (wtf?) haha. I’m glad your story had a happier ending! I actually read something today that suggested coconut water for helping to hydrate while running…
meg @ pinkgiggles recently posted..Mish Mash WIAWMy Profile

18 Kristen McGrath July 14, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Great blog! I can only imagine how effing hot that Texas half must have been. Two thumbs up to your neighbor πŸ™‚

19 Faith @ For the Health of It July 14, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Hey! As a Florida girl, I loved this post – things get super hot and muggy here in the summer and I’m always worried about hydration if I work out outside…heck, I need an extra drink just to take my dog out on a walk! Thanks for sharing these tips πŸ˜€