The Pros And Cons of Early Workouts

June 29, 2011 · 32 comments

As everyone’s gotta know by now, I’m feeling pretty baller about my early-morning workouts these days. For a “non-morning person,” I’ve been surprisingly happy to pop out of bed at 6 a.m. to bang out a few miles on the treadmill before work.

this is where I like to be at 6 a.m.

Today, as I was going through this rhythm for the third time, I was starting to realize there are upsides and downsides to the madness that is getting up early to work it out.

Pros

1. By 8 a.m., I am DONE running for the day. And that is the best feeling.
  2. I feel like a sheltered child finally let out to play when I can do fun things after work and not be stuck going to the gym.
  3. I don’t have to wash my hair at night. Fantastic.
  4. My towel at home stays clean longer. That means less laundry. That is awesome.
  5. My mind is slower; therefore, it’s not as quick to tell me how bored it is on the treadmill.
  6. The 6:30 a.m. clientele at the gym is more attractive than the 4:30 clientele.
  7. I don’t have to be a bag lady and lug my gym clothes to work.
  8. I get to pet the cute doggies who roam my gym in the morning (normal?)
  9. Some say a morning workout gets your metabolism really kickin’. Some say it’s the same. I’m choosing to believe the former.
  10. My recently-blow dried hair looks better for work than my thrown-up-in-a-ponytail-because-I-just-woke-up hair.
  11. I can’t forget anything for the gym! But now I have to worry about forgetting something for work. One of these days I’m going to show up to work without pants on.

Cons

1. I have to go to bed earlier. I hate that. I’m still 8 years old and I like to stay up late in my jimjams.
  2. My body’s not too smooth in the morning, so my workout takes a while to get kickin’. Therefore, I get less miles in.
  3. The gym is cuh-rowded in the morning! What are all you crazy people doing here?
  4. I’ve got less energy to talk to Jamie while I run. Headphones = in. Now.
  5. I feel like I’m back at field hockey camp when I shower with flip flops on.
  6. I don’t have the sunniest disposition in the morning. I’m less smiley to the aforementioned attractive clientele.
  7. The 60 year old lady on the treadmill beside me is very close to getting a punch in the neck if I have to smell her perfume for another mile. See #6. Use a lighter hand when applying your scent of potpourri-mothball-roses.

Aside from the perfume scent strangling me from the treadmill to my right, I’d say the positives outweigh the negatives.

Dear early-morning workouts, I never thought I’d say this, but I like ya.

And, for all those non-morning people out there, here’s a playlist that’s sure to wake your sleepy body up:

And before I go, I’ve gotta share some of the top search terms leading to my blog yesterday:

They must have known it was mom’s birthday yesterday. ;) And remember when I got my ring stuck and had to go to the fire department to have it cut off?

Whoops.

1 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries June 29, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I loveee my early morning workouts because I don’t have to think about it for the REST of the day! If I wait until the afternoon, it almost feels like punishment. I just want to leave work and do fun things (sometimes that involves just sitting on my buns reading a mag – and enjoying every second)

2 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry June 29, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I love using the word “jimjams” for pajamas! Hehe.

It is really inconvenient for me to go to the gym in the morning, and plus I hate showering at the gym…So if I am gymming it up I suck it up and get it done after work.
But running outside in the morning is another story! I will totally do that before work…if I can make myself get up that early. Some days are easier than others…
It is SO nice to have your workout done in the a.m. though. So your evenings are free to leisure and play!

3 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) June 29, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I love a morning workout. It just sets me up for the whole day. Waking up is the bad part though

4 theAlmostRunner June 29, 2011 at 3:39 pm

potpourri-mothball-roses is my favorite scent.

5 Cait's a Runnerchick June 29, 2011 at 3:40 pm

hey there! i came over here from holly’s blog and wanted to thank u for an excellent post!! as a newbie to the bloggy world all the help i can get is much appreciated. :)

and ur blog is awesome! i’m def a person who likes to workout first thing in the morning and get it done. i feel better and more energized the rest of the day and feel like i accomplished something straight off the bat. not gonna lie though, sleep is my other great love so i usually try to hit the sack early and not stay up too late so i am able to actually get up. :)

ummm, and u def quality as a hot mom for a search engine hit! :)

6 Er June 29, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Totally laughed out loud at the flip flop comment- definitely did that at field hockey camps! I even did it my first two years of college when I lived on-campus! haha

I used to be a morning workout person, but I didn’t have to be in to work until 9 and only had a 30 minute commute. Now I would need to be up at 5 and that is just toooooo early for me. The benefit to working out at night is that I am not as hungry. When I used to run in the morning I was starving alllll day. Now I have to eat a light dinner so I am not too full to workout after, and usually only need something super light like a glass of almond milk when I finish the workout.

7 Holly June 29, 2011 at 4:17 pm

You mean you don’t LOVE potpourri-mothball-roses perfume?! It’s totally my fave ;)

8 Cassie June 29, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Hey girl! Love your blog, every post keeps getting better. I totally relate to your pro/con list and let me tell you, I feel so great when I work out in the am–it’s like everything’s brighter once your out–no worries about booking it to the gym after work, being hungry, rushing home to eat dinner (do I seem like I always have food on the brain? haha). You go girl, keep it going! :)

9 Jamie June 29, 2011 at 5:00 pm

HAHA! This is so funny and so incredibly true. Way hotter men in the AM crowd. ALSO unfortunately true about less energy to talk… :( maybe we can start music for the first half to wake up and then chat the second? I miss being giddy at the gym but knowing that I already ran today is pretty damn sweet! (Oh you forgot to list the gym doggies as a benefit they are always there in the AM!) tababat asap!

10 mego@watchmegorun June 29, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I loooove every song on that playlist! I neeeed to be an early morning work out person and may not have a choice soon as ill have to start doing two a day runs to prep for hood to coast. Wahhhh

11 Sam June 29, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Lmao @ the hot mom search. Love that! I WANT to like early morning workouts but I really am SO slow in the mornings. I’m in a groggy haze. And i need food. And coffee. And now it’s an hour later and I have no time haha. I think my morning self is just slightly more lazy than my night time self!

12 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer June 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I like your pros and cons of morning workouts. I dream of the day I can tear myself out of bed early enough to workout before work. One of these days it’ll happen!!

13 Jill is Active June 29, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I’ve slowly but surely gotten into the morning workout groove! And although I’m a morning person, I know how hard it is… so props to you from being a night owl and getting it in!! I agree though that it is hard to go to bed that early to get enough sleep and then try to be a fun human being on the weekend when everyone is out partying.
P.S. The wedding looked so fun, and you, of course, looked gorgeous! XO

14 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health June 29, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Love your reasons- both positive and negative. I prefer getting my workouts over with in the morning, but sometimes, I just can’t do it. Oh well. Btw, I loved your guest post over on Holly’s blog! And I love your blog :). Let me just send some all around love your way.

15 Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) June 29, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Early morning workouts- I’m so impressed!! I did early mornings for about a month a while back… sometimes I’d like to get back to it… maybe after baby. Good for you, though!

16 Rach June 29, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Love your pro/con list! Totally cracked me up. :)

I used to love hitting up the gym over lunch hour when we lived at an apartment with a gym on site. Now my gym is in my house so it’s a wee bit easier to get up in the mornin’ and work out. :)

17 Brittany @ LessBritt MoreLife June 30, 2011 at 1:07 am

I, for some reason, feel that morning workouts would leave me exhausted for the rest of the day! I’ll never know if i don’t try! I just need to take it slowly, right?!?

18 Cait's Plate June 30, 2011 at 1:34 am

Ugh – I TOTALLY feel you on this. It’s like a no win situation because if I get up and do it, I’m done, but then I’m too wiped out at the end of the night to take advantage of my extra time! Ever since I started working I’ve struggled with what to do. I just try to take it day by day and if I wake up naturally early enough to work out then I do it, if not, I save it for after work.

I agree though that mornings (if you can wake up) are better – it’s so nice to be done early (except for the raging hunger that follows all day! haha)

19 Meg June 30, 2011 at 2:04 am

I am partial to:
6.The 6:30 a.m. clientele at the gym is more attractive than the 4:30 clientele.

NUMERO SIX! FTW!

20 anna krystine June 30, 2011 at 2:56 am

New follower and I absolutely love your blog! I especially LOVE the quote in your header and it is really what I need to see right now!

21 Pureglow*16 June 30, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I think it is easy to do morning workouts cuz you get in the routine.. ya know?
Its easier to stick with it and not slack off later! :P

22 Sami June 30, 2011 at 6:41 pm

jim jams = the best term for pajamas EVER. (:

it’s weird to me that your gym is more crowded in the AM. mine is PACKED after work!

xo.

23 Courtney @ Girl In The Pink June 30, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I love the idea of getting my workout out over with by 8 am and having the rest of the day to play, BUT, I just can’t get on board the with early morning thang. I think I need food in my belly a couple hours before I work out so I usually do early afternoon! Luckily, my schedule allows for that!

24 Leanne July 13, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Omg #2 on the pro’s list completely explains my feeling when i don’t go to the gym after work (basically, only fridays) – like what, go to the grocery store still in CLEAN clothes, hair not in a bun? Unheard of! Also, #7 – i always seem to forget something b/c my hands are so darn full!