Sun Days > Snow Days

May 26, 2011 · 25 comments

Guess who got the day off work yesterday?!

“MEEEEEEEE!”

That’s right. It was me. I know you’re sinfully jealous… don’t hate.

You see, Virginia Beach had a sicknasty storm on Tuesday that knocked out all the power at the school where I work. So, I got a call around 5:30 a.m. Wednesday morning telling me school offices were closed and I had the day off.

Fist pump!

This is why Sun Days are so much better than Snow Days.

From the comfort of my very own backyard, I can get a tan…

Read a good book…

And be super productive in the bLyss Designs department!

Hey, Colleen, the glasses for your bridal party are aaaalmost finished!

Royal blue and yellow with polka dots was Colleen’s request.
I made them all a little different from one another. :)

Three cheers for productivity! In the sun!

And check out my awesome view. The concrete in my driveway and back patio was dug up and is getting replaced, but in the meantime, I’ve got enough slop at my back door to have a nice mud wrestling tournament.

[And hey, that is not an activity planned for my Memorial Day backyard bash, friends... don't get your hopes up.]

And wanna know why I find it semi-pointless to photograph and report my eats on the blog?

Here’s my greek yogurt parfait.

In it? Fage 0% greek yogurt, honey, frozen mangoes and raspberries chopped in the blender, and Special K granola (obsessed).

Now, here’s the greek yogurt parfait served in the fashion that tastes way better.

See? It’s ugly.

And it tastes better that way.

So, there’s why I don’t photograph my eats and write ‘em on on here all the time. Thank me later for not making you look at my egg scrambles, black bean soups, and tuna and chicken salad all the time.

What else did I accomplish other than glass painting and video editing on my day off?

Williamsburg Run for the Dream Race picture-finding!

Post-finish and soo happy about it

Apparently, I angrily march to the finish. Hi ho, hi ho!

“Alyssa, did you just fist pump for a picture?
Or are you flexing? Way to advertize your Jersey roots.”

It’s a shame I forgot to look happy, huh?

I’m also STILLSTILLSTILL struggling to figure out how to download the darned WordPress.org. I just want some stinkin’ plug-ins, and I’m getting overly frustrated. Who wants to do it for me? prshwahblaugh!

What did you get done in your last super-productive day?

What are your Memorial Day planskis?

1 adventuresofacampwife May 26, 2011 at 2:47 pm

My last productive day consisted of new decor for my front porch! Then a super sized cleaning event in my house; it was long overdue! Followed with walks with the poochie and a farmers market day

2 Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) May 26, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I am running the Elizabeth River 10k. Something you should do obviously. I love that you managed to fist pump up that hill. If someone had been there to photograph me it would have been responded with a hell no.

I agree-I tend to use the same photos over and over again for food blogs and make it the messy way. It tastes ten times better that way.

3 Brandi May 26, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Jealous! That storm knocked out the power at my office and the generator failed. Lame sauce.

Your pictures look cute! Mine are such a hot mess. I was hoping for some cute ones!

No big memorial day plans here. I might head to a cookout or something…Oh and the ERR 10k is Saturday morning!

4 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) May 26, 2011 at 3:00 pm

HAHA love the photos!! Thats mean of them to have a photographer on a hill though!! I would just look soooo unattractive- my ‘hills’ face sure ain’t pretty! :P

I can’t remember my last productive day, but I am SO jealous of yours!! And those glasses are AMAZING- you’re so talented!!

5 applesnoats May 26, 2011 at 3:12 pm

hahah for some reason ugly food always seems to taste better..i’m all about mixing in my toppings!
speaking of sun, I’m about to go get my tan on now:)

6 Rach @ This Italian Family May 26, 2011 at 3:25 pm

So much to love in this post!! Okay first of all, HOORAY for getting off early!! That’s the best! And I absolutely agree that sun days are SO much better than snow days! I LOVE sitting in my backyard with a good book, soaking in the rays.

And speaking of good books… Captivating is especially fabulous! Most definitely one of my favorite books. I read it at a time when I really needed to hear it most and it helped change so many things in my life. Seriously, love it! My husband still makes references to the book because I talked to him about it so much. Like, he was giving relationship advice to one of our guy friends and he was like “Dude, you really gotta make her feel special. Like she captivates you…” Love it! :D

The glasses look great, girl! You really are so talented. :) And I know I said this before, but I love those shorts! Way to go! :)

7 Alyssa May 26, 2011 at 4:02 pm

hahah SO SMART of those guys to learn about Captivating! It’s reeeally helping me get through all my stuff. :)

8 keepnthefaith May 26, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I wish it would get sunny over here! It was yesterday, but then today it is overcast again! I have had plans on this killer outdoor workout using my speed ladder, but it hasnt been hot enough and it is driving me crazy!! Love the glasses by the way!

9 Mel (mmmstories) May 26, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Those glasses look Fa-bo-lo-us!!
I also tend to make the ugliest meals in the world, but don’t really care because they are delish. If you figure out the wordpress plug-ins, let us know! I’m all confused about them too but am dying for some upgrades.

10 lindsay May 26, 2011 at 6:03 pm

oh i love the race pics! those shorts are awesome. Love your style alyssa.

11 cheerfulfeast May 26, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Captivating is an awesome book! I absolutely loved it. I also recommend Wild at Heart. It’s written for men, but I still found it helpful and relevant.

12 movesnmunchies May 26, 2011 at 6:16 pm

FIST PUMP!! that just made my dayyyyy
WOO for no work!! SUN DAYs= not today…
gah it was raining.. booo.. sunshine makes me HAPPY!

13 Alyssa May 26, 2011 at 6:17 pm

thats cause you’re in stinky England. I don’t miss all that rain!

14 The Teenage Taste May 26, 2011 at 7:17 pm

You are SO photogenic in race photos, Alyssa! I always make the worst faces in mine. Oh, and I didn’t know you were from Jersey! Same here! Jersey girls unite! :-D

15 theAlmostRunner May 26, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I STILL haven’t read Captivating, but I just read Love and War by that couple and got Wild at Heart (written by the man) for my husband. I need to get on it!

16 Sophia @ Raven Waves May 26, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Your day off sounds amazing! I’m so so jealous! :) Enjoy it girl!

17 megpinkgiggles May 26, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I’m so envious of your sunny day. Where I live it’s been rain, rain, rain.
Love your pictures from your run lol :)

18 Parita May 26, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I love that pic of you marching to the finish line – “hi ho hi ho.” LOL!

And since I’m not going home this weekend, I have no big plans, and I honestly couldn’t be any more psyched! Just me, myself, and I…reenergizing, shopping, reading, cooking, and watching movies. :)

19 Alyssa May 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm

sounds like a great weekend to me!

20 Brittany May 26, 2011 at 11:55 pm

yay for sunshine and Captivating! That’s one of my favorite books :)

21 runyogarepeat May 27, 2011 at 12:18 am

Lucky you with a day off! My Memorial day plans are helping out at the big local marathon & relay & the kids race.

22 wnk505 May 27, 2011 at 11:10 am

I’m so jealous!! I want a day off from work :( Love your statement about posting food because it is so true.

23 Colleen May 27, 2011 at 12:10 pm

AHGHGAHGSAHG!!! I LOVE THEM!! They are so so so perfect! You’re so so so perfect!! This made my day :) xoxo

24 withasideofhope May 27, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I absolutely LOVE those wine glasses! I think they are beautiful! I am definitely keeping you in mind for my wedding! :) Those would make perfect bridesmaid gifts!

25 Alyssa May 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm

YES! hit me with another order! ;)