Sometimes.. I Learn Things.

May 11, 2011 · 31 comments

It’s been a learning week for me. I’ve made a few realizations in the past few days (it’s been a busy week. all this AND learning about shin splints!), and I thought it most important that I share them.

Which leads me to my first tangent…

1. Just like people in their speech, so many bloggers have their little taglines and over-used terms. I know, I do it too. I’ve noticed the same for other bloggers, and now I’m mentally putting together a project in which I make a tribute to/imitate different bloggers throughout a week.. and you can guess who I am. I’m thinking it’d be pretty easy. And funny. Watch out, bloggy lovers. ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Waiting on my iPhone purchase was a SMART decision.

When I had an Apple e-mail in my inbox with the subject, “The White iPhone is here,” my heart skipped a beat. Holy goodness gracious, I want that. And better yet, if I wait until my upgrade in November, they’re gonna have an even more wonderful somethin’ somethin’ for me. Alriiiight!

That still didn’t stop me from pouting in the corner when my sister got her white iPhone for Mother’s Day.

3. It’s virtually impossible to sing Lady Gaga’s new song, “Judas,” and sound like a normal, well-adjusted human.ย Trust me, I tried. It doesn’t work.

4. Tofu isn’t bad. And it’s pretty versatile!

I’ve never cooked with tofu. My experience with the stuff has been limited to miso soup at Japanese restaurants. SO, in my last grocery excursion, I snagged some extra firm tofu. ‘Cause I felt like it.

Over the past few dinners, I’ve made a bunch of typical Alyssa with some added tofu. And honestly, I could’t even tell much difference.

Exhibit A

Creamy tofu mushroom pasta
(cause you know how I like my light creamy pasta)

• Light alfredo sauce
  • 1 block Laughing Cow Light
  • few pinches goat cheese
  • salt-free garlic & herb seasoning
  • 3 mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 large handfuls spinach
  • whole wheat pasta
  • 1/4 cup extra-firm tofu, mashed

Exhibit B

Tofu egg white wrapย

• 2 egg whites, scrambled
  • 1/3 cup black beans
  • 3 pinches fat free shredded cheddar cheese
  • few pinches goat cheese
  • some onion, chopped
  • 1 handful spinach
  • low fat/low carb whole wheat wrap
  • 1/4 cup extra-firm tofu, mashed
  • on side: salsa/ranch mixture
ta-da!

So, the verdict? Tofu is a yes. Cut it up. Bake it. Mash it with a fork (my fave). Do different stuff with it. Andย I know Carrie likes to blend it into sauces… that’ll probably be my next order of biz.

5. Some of the best friendships are the lifelong ones. ๐Ÿ™‚

My mama’s best friend, Cindy, luckily had a little girl about a year and a half after my mom had me. Jenna has been my “little sister I’ve never had” my entire life, and she’s coming to visit me this summer. Oh. Yes.

mama with us babies

…and as high school babies

Jenna just got her tonsils out and was killing some time watching home movies. Apparently, we’ve always had a really special, mentally-stimulating friendship.

6. I need to lower my expectations for books made into movies.

I was so pumped to see Water for Elephants after absolutely loving the book. And I’m not a Robert Pattinson luster (yes, I’m team Edward all the way when it comes to Bella, but for me? Gimme Taylor Lautner), but he was pretty impressive in this movie. However, I feel like the movie had to leave out a whole lot of relationships and characterizations that were so great in the book. Oh, well.

Which makes me wary to go see my favorite book in the world on the big screen.

you know if it was caught on camera I couldn’t put that book d-o-w-n.

7. I’ll say it again. I was made for the beach.
I took a baby run on the boardwalk yesterday to test the waters with my new stretches and my shins. It still hurt a little, but after icing, I think my therapy is working! I’ll be going back tomorrow for another session. Hellooo, healthy shins!

But anyway, I can’t get enough of beach/boardwalk running. I’ve contemplated a move from Virginia Beach, and if I had left, I know the actual beach is what I’d miss the most. Love it. Can’t get enough of that sand and water.

beach + girlfriends = love.

8. I love sparkles.

Oh, wait. I (and the rest of the world) already knew that.

I’m trying out these new nail strips Jamie with which had some success, and I was preeettty excited to find the glittery blue color. We’ll see if it turns out to be socially acceptable.

9. I miss my college life.

This cute lady was one of my college “mommies,” Nurse Kathi. I was lucky enough to see her and Jan and Candy, the other great ladies I worked for while in school. And visiting that weekend and seeing a bunch of my old friends made me want to re-do my senior year. Who’s game for me to return to Catawba for a teaching degree?

Haha.. kidding, Gin and Bob.

Kinda.

The rest of this week includes another ART session, a Greek Festival (yesssss, I’m so Greek!), and another weekend in D.C. with Anastasia. Yeeeeep!

1 Lisa @ I'm an Okie May 11, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Yep! In NOvember when you can upgrade, I bet the iphone 5 will be available!

2 Nicole @ Of Cookies & Carrots May 11, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I loved a lot of these and agreed with a few specifically… i.e. water for elephants. I thought the movie was enjoyable but it killed me that htey ditched the whole nursing home scene (well, multiple scenes lol) because they were SO funny and added a lot of emotional depth to the book. My roommate was okayw ith that modification because it made for more r-pattz time which was frustrating (Rob’s cute and all but I care more about the book… and yes, taylor all the way ๐Ÿ˜‰ ). I really want to read something borrowed! my friend said the movie was decent, I THINK she said she’d read the book too but I forget…

have a lovely day ๐Ÿ™‚
n

n

3 Sophia @ Raven Waves May 11, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I miss college too! And I can’t get Judas out of my head! It’s so catchy. I’m really nervous about seeing Water for Elephants on the screen. I know it won’t live up to the book!

4 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) May 11, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I am so so so so SOOO happy for you about your shin splints and running!! Yaaaaaay!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Oh, and tofu is the bomb.com and I can’t believe you’d never had it before!! And aww I LOVE the pic of you and your college momma!! She looks so SWEET and lovely!! N’awww ๐Ÿ™‚

5 applesnoats May 11, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I was made for the beach too…..but I was also made for snowboarding!!!tough decisions!!!

6 Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) May 11, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Parts of me will always miss college life, too- what a fun time!!

And I agree, that all bloggers overuse some phrases… I am guilty of emoticon overuse and probably using the work yum ๐Ÿ™‚ <-proof

7 Jess (In My Healthy Opinion) May 11, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I was definitely made for the beach as well! Do you like VA Beach? I’ve been thinking about going on vaca there, but I’m not really sure what it’s like!

8 Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) May 11, 2011 at 5:23 pm

PSHHH. Girl I don’t got no taglines ha.

I love love VA beach. So much fun. My fingers are painted with gold sparkly nailpolish as I type. I love sparkly things.

9 Hungry Dancer May 11, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I hate when I get a phone then the new version comes out!!!! Tofu is one of my favs, so versatile!! I bought the salon effects too, but have’t tried them yet!!

10 Angela May 11, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I can’t wait to see your little blogger tagline project! It sounds interesting!

11 movesnmunchies May 11, 2011 at 6:10 pm

ABAHA OH MY GOSH so looking forward to number 1.. that will be a CRACKKKKERRR UP!.. tofu is the BOMB! and umm I could tell alrdy you were made for the beach becuz of your HOT BOD!

12 Jenny May 11, 2011 at 6:54 pm

O0o0 I’m so jelly of your white iphone! I have the black but was pretty impatient to wait for the white one to come out. And yesss beach + sun= one fabulous day. When are you coming to Miami so we can soak up the heat?!! <3

13 cupcake dynamite May 11, 2011 at 8:07 pm

we must discuss after you see sobo. ahhhhhhhhh. I say no more. I need to come to that beautiful beach asap!!

xo courtney

14 Claire @ Live & Love to Eat May 11, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I’m holding out for the perfect iPhone… which means I bought a Droid and can’t updated foreverrrr.

15 lindsay May 11, 2011 at 8:43 pm

oh I can’t wait to hear the taglines, I bet they are hilarious! and yes, tofu makes a great dish. Thank you for learning that so that I can now make that!

16 theAlmostRunner May 11, 2011 at 8:46 pm

oh shit. please don’t imitate me on your blog.

17 moveovercelery May 11, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Ha! Me speak english badly on my blog. excited to see the taglines!
d’awhs, you and your friend are presh! annnd I love tofu! I’ve only used it two or three times and i’m already hooked. I like sauteeing it in barbeque sauce. call me crazy, but it’s gewd. ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Katelyn May 11, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I LOVE our local Greek fest!! Slash I have so many friendships like that hahah I think those are the best kinds:)

19 Amy @ countrystrong21 May 11, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I’ve come to realize that movies that are based on books are never the same and TV shows that are based on books are the exact same. Oh well, I will continue to read books and see the movies/watch TV shows that are based on them.

Waiting for your upgrade = less $$ out of your pocket for the phone more than likely. But I definitely feel your pain of having to wait for that upgrade to come around.

20 Danielle May 12, 2011 at 1:00 am

I have always been jealous of Iphone-ers and I will be super J of you if you get a white one! CUTE!
I need to lower my standards for books made in to movies. I always go in with such high expectations and come out irritated about the parts that were left out or changed. I guess I just need to get over it.

21 what katie's baking May 12, 2011 at 1:19 am

haha!!!! number one is such a great idea!
i loved the movie something borrowed, but i think i need to read the book… the ending was so unexpected to me. i thought she was going to end up with ethan and was sooo pissed when she didn’t haha.
also, i love tofu… and sparkles!!

22 fashionfitnessfoodie May 12, 2011 at 10:43 am

Yes!!! I love your idea to imitate people ๐Ÿ™‚ You are seriously hilarious.

I havent been able to get into tofu just yet… but I’m trying! I can eat it somewhere else, but I cant make it.

I love sparkles too.. I’m wearing a sparkly tank top right now.

I’m going to see something borrowed in the movie theatres on Fri night!

23 vegansunshine May 12, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Cute blog! ๐Ÿ™‚
I hated tofu at first! Now it’s one of my favorites because I have learned that there is so many uses for it! Baked tofu in my favorite. ๐Ÿ™‚

Whitney

24 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com May 12, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I am SO SO HAPPY your therapy is working. You are made for the beach and girl you are BEYOND GORGEOUS!!!! I agree about lowering the expectations of books made into movies!! Your pasta looks INCREDIBLE!!! Lady Gaga is pure crazy sauce! So excited for you to get your WHITE IPHONE WAHOOOO!!!

25 Mrs. Pancakes May 12, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I love how this list is all about reminiscing good and happy things…newest follower…

26 mego@watchmegorun May 12, 2011 at 5:11 pm

glad you are being smart about the shins! i miss college too…a lot. it went by too fast for me. let me know how the nails go, it looks cute! im worried about sobo too, i think im seeing it tonight
a