Running Anxiety

May 19, 2011 · 27 comments

When I was in high school, running literally gave me anxiety. We had to run a seeerious amount for my field hockey team, and if you weren’t up to par, you didn’t get to keep your starting position.

I’d stress all day at school remembering how I had to make it rain later on the field.

little baby high school field hockey player

don’t worry, I eventually grew some muscles to look
a tiny more intimidating for college field hockey.

Honestly? High school field hockey made me hate running.

…But I got over it.

After my field hockey career ended, I ran for me. And that’s what made me love running. After over 11 years of people telling me what to run and how to run it, I could follow my own rules and I could be my own boss.

I made a subconscious promise to myself to keep running fun for me. And that’s why I do it. It keeps me sane. It makes me happy.

It makes me feel like a BAMF? ;)

So, to make running fun, I quit the head games. I don’t get down on myself if I have a rough run, and I don’t set unattainable goals. I keep a laid-back, positive attitude, and I remember that I run simply because I like to. I run to stay healthy. I run because it’s a positive thing in my life.

And that’s how I’ve gotten through every half marathon easily and in good spirits. I don’t stress beforehand, and I’m proud of myself afterwards. Time doesn’t matter. If I don’t crush it this time, I’ll do it in the next race.

my first ever running medal.. good ol’ high school track.

So why am I feeling anxious for the first time for the Williamsburg Half Marathon this Sunday?

As it’s clear my shin injury and recent life events have put training on the “yeah right” list, I am the least prepared I’ve ever been for a half marathon. For my past three, I over-trained (I like to be prepared).

So… Anastasia are planning on bringing skateboards to the Williamsburg Half Marathon and scooting over the finish line on our butts. Wearing these shorts.

But really. I need to remember that this is a FUN run (uh, duh, look at those shorts) and that time doesn’t matter. This is for fun, and this is why I do it.

So… dear Alyssa, relaxo. And have fun. Cause that’s why you run in the first place. :)

fun run for the A Team!

Why do you run? Do you get caught up in your head too much when it comes to running?

1 cupcake dynamite May 19, 2011 at 4:53 pm

LOVE THIS, love you!! I miss field hockey so muchhhh. I totally play head games all the time.. (jogging back and forth in front of my house just to hit 10 miles?) bahaha. Have a FUN race!! I love those shorts! BAHAHA. I wish I was running this one with you since you have to take it easy. ;) -Jamie

2 megpinkgiggles May 19, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Those shorts are too cute :)

3 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) May 19, 2011 at 5:15 pm

AWESOME post!! I love running just cos I LOVE it too, so if I end up having to throw away my half goal too because of my shin injury, I won’t care cos as long as I’m running I’ll be having a great time! :D

And aww that high school photo of you is so CUTE!! :)

4 alex May 19, 2011 at 5:35 pm

You are totally a BAMF. I was in a triple in college freshman year and my 2 roommates went to Shawnee and Lenape. Rivals!!!

5 theAlmostRunner May 19, 2011 at 5:39 pm

yay! i hope it’s amazing. it’s so much better to run because you WANT to than because you “have” to.

6 Ali May 19, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I love running because it’s me time! :) I can relax and either work through my thoughts or tune everything out. Good luck with your race this weekend, girl! You’ll rock it!!

7 Lisa @ I'm an Okie May 19, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I run because its hard for me and challenging in a way that other things aren’t. It doesnt come naturally and thats why I like it.

8 Jess (In My Healthy Opinion) May 19, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Aww, you will do great at the race! :)

I don’t run, but when I used to, I realized I could only do it if it’s something I wanted to do, not forced myself to do. I was much happier this way!

9 fashionfitnessfoodie May 19, 2011 at 7:13 pm

You will do great – its a fun race with your fun pants!

I run to clear my mind…which i neeeed to do.

10 Mel (mmmstories) May 19, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Love your outlook! Fun run can mean fun dance, laugh and picture breaks in the middle!

I don’t really run but I’m working on it because I want that badass-I-just-tackled-5-miles feeling!

11 Daniella @ Runner at Heart May 19, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I never enjoyed running in high school but now it is a stress relief for me and I love to challenge myself with new running goals.

12 Jenny May 19, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I’m not a runner but as someone who loves to do weights I can relate to that feeling of just being in the zone and releasing so much negative energy :)

13 Cara @ ChicMeetsHealthy May 19, 2011 at 8:15 pm

omg i completely understand! i hated running for field hockey in high school. HATED! especially since some of the other girls could run and not break a sweat! When I did club field hockey in college it was easier. I wanted to play. I wanted a good workout!

Now I run for me, but its always better running with my girlfriends!

14 Rach @ This Italian Family May 19, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Great outlook, girl! Can’t wait to see pictures of you guys running in your super amazing shorts!

15 Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) May 19, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Girl you are going to do well. It’s not you first half so you know the ropes. I think whatever your time is-you should be happy about it. Your training can only get better from here. I seriously cannot wait to see your shorts.

16 (what runs) Lori May 19, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Oooh how nice. I love this. You run for you and that is the most important reason/person for it!

I love the peacefulness of running alone (and I prefer running alone). ME time to clear my head. :)

17 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 19, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I’ve always hated running since it was required for gym class. I’m trying to work my way up to it now, though. Any tips for a beginner?

18 Jenna May 20, 2011 at 1:19 am

I still get butterflies in my stomach whenever I step onto a track, but running has definitely taken on a new meaning for me since high school field hockey haha.

19 Alyssa May 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm

haaha.. what has Shawnee DONE to us?

20 Amy May 20, 2011 at 1:22 am

You will do great!!!! Just enjoy!!!!
I am proud of you!

21 Ma Ma Megan May 20, 2011 at 3:51 am

Awe I love the high school pic!
I’ve only been running for a few months but so far I’ve done a pretty good job at not getting anxiety over it. I run because it’s fun and it makes me feel amazing :)

22 what katie's baking May 20, 2011 at 4:19 am

lol you were a lil cutie!
i get running anxiety!! :/

23 wnk505 May 20, 2011 at 11:23 am

Your going to have so much fun on Sunday!

I used to HATE running. I thought it was miserable but my mother was a runner so I tried it. I would get so nervous before races I would almost get sick and always try to back out.

When times got really hard though or I was really stressed I would always resort to running. Running became my escape. I have learned to enjoy the race, have fun, be excited your body can move no matter how fast or slow. I broke my pelvis in October and let me tell you not being able to run was the one of the most challenging obstacles in my life. I am still unable to run farther than 3 miles right now but its progress. Enjoy yourself but don’t push it!!!

24 Elin @andserenitytoo May 20, 2011 at 12:20 pm

It’s not strange that all that’s going on makes the race become less important somehow… I think it’s a great idea to just make it into something goofy and fun :)
I have only just recently “discovered” running, and am starting to enjoy it, especially when I manage to shut off my brain;) That off-button still manages to pop to “on” often though…

25 happytalesblog May 20, 2011 at 10:47 pm

ohhhhhhh GIRL you are a’speakin’ ma language!!!! I totally run just “for me”… and i’m so excited for you to fulfill your “funrun” and just ENJOY it without worrying about a time! That’s exactly how I approached my marathon, and it was *such* a great experience because of that mindset! woooo!!!

26 megpinkgiggles May 21, 2011 at 8:39 pm

That list of why the world isn’t ending is too funny lol

27 mego@watchmegorun May 22, 2011 at 9:27 pm

hahaha i love that list! I can’t wait to hear how your half went today. Hope you had fun with the running twin :)