Not So Nimble Nursey

May 6, 2011 · 26 comments

I’m currently parked on Amy’s couch. The dishwasher is empty, the kitchen is clean, the laundry is washed and folded, my belly is full, my sister is smiling, and…. my shin is hurting. 🙁

I know, I know. I’ve been complaining about my shins since the beginning of March. They got better after my little shin stretch/warm up repertoire (yep, here’s the video of it), and I bought some new shoes, but the shin splint in my right leg hasn’t gone away.

I’ve been icing my shin, I didn’t run much while I was at the beach (or lately with all that’s been going on), and the pain is still rockin’.

I have been complaining and complaining to my running buddies Anastasia, and she mentioned our friend Jason gotten a stress fracture from shin splints. Apparently, this all sounded familiar.

running buddies at the last Virginia Beach Rock ‘N’ Roll

After talking with Jason, my stress fracture hero, I’m realizing that “I neeeeed a doooccttaaaah.”

thanks, Jas!

I called an Active Release Trainer in town and set up an appointment with him for 6:00 on Monday. And I love this guy already – he texts me info about my appointment.

I’m working on it, but I’m not a huge fan of talking on the phone. I’ll text till the cows come home, but I hate talking on the phone because I can’t be doing 2341 things at once (ADD much?). So.. a doc who texts me telling me to wear running clothes?

He’s a-speakin’ mah language! 😉

Wish me luck with this baby.

And, once again, thank you for all the love for my sister. She’s a champ!

I spy with my little eye… my couch friend.

Meet Carla, my sister’s kitty..
and the only cat I’ve ever liked in my whole life.

I’m off to go get fat(ter) off all the crazy food around here!

1 Brandi May 6, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Are you going to Jim Browning? He is amazing (and a big texter). Half of my running group goes to him and they all love him!

I hope your shin feels better and that it’s NOT a stress fracture. I had stress fractures last year and they suck bad!

2 Sophia @ Raven Waves May 6, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I hope your shins get better girl!!! Have a nice Friday!

3 Claire @ Live & Love to Eat May 6, 2011 at 7:03 pm

So nice of you to help out! I hope you enjoy some Q.T. together. And going to the doctor is a step in the direction of fixing the problem!

4 what katie's baking May 6, 2011 at 7:31 pm

aww alyssa! i hope they get better soon!!!

5 runyogarepeat May 6, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Hope it’s not a stress fracture! I wish I could text my doctor about appointments. I never ask her about weird running pains because she’s not a runner and would probably just tell me to stop running.

6 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) May 6, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I feel you girl 🙁 I’m seeing the doc about the splints on Wednesday, and I’m looking for a cheap physio too, but they are SOO EXPENSIVE!! I think I’m gonna become a physio and I’ll treat everyone (especially runners called Alyssa and Emma) for free 🙂

7 Jason N May 6, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Let me know what the doc says…good luck!

8 movesnmunchies May 6, 2011 at 8:48 pm

YAY GIRL! the docs know their shiz so ull be FINE and on your way to PAIN FREE- ow ow!

9 Rach @ This Italian Family May 6, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Oh girl, I hope it’s not a stress fracture! I love that the doc txts info about your appointment! I hate talking on the phone too – so hear ya there.

10 mickiruns May 6, 2011 at 9:49 pm

So glad Amy has such a reliable sis like you!!

I hope your shin gets it’s crap together, and SOON.

11 Amy @ countrystrong21 May 6, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Sending positive vibes that it is NOT a stress fracture and just a really stubborn shin splint. (Not that I think a stubborn shin splint is cool either)

You’re such an awesome nurse/sister! Keep up the awesome work girly. A smiling sister is a happy sister 🙂

12 oatsandspice May 6, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I am so happy to hear that your sister is doing well! Have an awesome weekend girly!

13 megpinkgiggles May 7, 2011 at 12:14 am

I’m the same as you! HATE talking on the phone. LOVE texting 🙂

14 Anastasia May 7, 2011 at 12:26 am

youve got some pretty good lookin runnin buddies — just saying 😉 love you! kiss your sistaa for me! xoxo

15 Ma Ma Megan May 7, 2011 at 2:05 am

So glad to hear about your sis. 🙂

Hope your shins get better. I’m sorry!!

16 Amy May 7, 2011 at 2:38 am

She fails to mention that she blew in poor Carla’s ear as Carla slept peacefully… The cat was almost on the ceiling! I think Alyssa is forgiven as they are snuggling on the couch as we speak…
Hey Nurse… I need some ice cream!

17 Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) May 7, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Awe good luck! I hope to hear only great things. I need my running buddy in tip top shape! 😉

18 mego@watchmegorun May 7, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I’m the same way about the phone and being ADD. I like to make it quick and snappy if talking, but will also text all day. Good luck with the doc, let’s hope you figure something out!! Glad your sis is recuperating, you’re doing a great job taking care of her!

19 Jess May 7, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Good luck!

20 Katelyn May 7, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I have heard of that kind of therapy!! It sounds like a great technique since you’re keeping your muscles WARM naaa mean?

21 Kendall May 7, 2011 at 6:57 pm

ART is amazing!! It helped me when I had really bad runner’s knee..
My doctor also texted me- theeeee best! 🙂
Hopefully it helps you too! Good luck!!

22 Karla May 9, 2011 at 6:15 pm

hope the doc can get to the bottom of it and avoid a stress fracture. I’m going to see a professional soon too cause something is wrong with my calves & feet… it killed me at my last half unfortunately. Good luck!!

23 happytalesblog May 11, 2011 at 4:35 am

Booooooo for moody shins!!!!!! I hope the doc can Rx something that will jive well with you, sending good vibes your way!!!

24 Norberto May 11, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Very good ideas! I have been browsing for something like that for a while today. Many thanks!