It’s Official

April 1, 2011 · 39 comments

I’m officially signed up to run my FIRST full marathon. With Anastasia!

The coolest part?

In order for me to sign up, I needed to partner with a charity.

I chose “Zero: The Project to End Prostate Cancer.”

If you all remember from my “Take That, Cancer” December blog post, my daddy was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer last November. He’s recovering so well, and after his surgery over the New Year, his PSA finally does read zero.

So I get to raise money to end prostate cancer. The $500 I raise will go to prostate cancer testing, awareness, treatment, and research.

Zero prostate cancer deaths. Zero prostate cancer cases and for those with prostate cancer it means a zero PSA. Our name conveys what we stand for zero tolerance for prostate cancer.

As ZERO — The Project to End Prostate Cancer, we commit ourselves not only to reduce prostate cancer or alleviate the pain from the disease but to end it. We see a future where all men who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer will be cured or manage their illness with good quality of life, with the support they need to minimize physical and emotional suffering and to cope effectively throughout their cancer journeys.

To accomplish our goal, we increase research funds from the federal government to find new treatments and we fund local grants to end prostate cancer through our national event series, the Great Prostate Cancer Challenge. We conduct free testing through the Drive Against Prostate Cancer mobile testing program and educate patients, families and those at-risk.

I was so hesitant to sign up for a full marathon with the added pressure of raising money. But when I realized raising money for Prostate Cancer was an option, I knew I had to do it. When I read the words “Dash for Dad,” I knew I just had to do it. I’m gonna “Dash for my Daddy!” 😀

runnin' for you, big guy.

(…cause I need someone to blame when I have no knees when I’m older.. right?)

Here goes nothin’. I can’t wait to change my little exercise tab to read “MARATHON training,” to slap that 26.2 sticker on my car, and to run my first marathon alongside my #1 running partner, my twin, Anastasia. And she’s running for Make A Wish! If it weren’t for Anastasia, I most certainly would not be running this marathon.

these girls

are gonna run like these guys.

I’m still waiting for more information to sign up for my own fundraising page. I would absolutely love it if you all would help me reach my goal of $500 to fight prostate cancer.

What’s the most recent “scary” goal you’ve set for yourself?

Do you have any fundraising ideas?

Please don’t make me resort to bikini car washes.

…that’s a joke.

…I hope.

EDITED TO ADD:
I just created my fundraising page here. 🙂
I’d adore each and every one of you if you would be
kind enough to help me reach my goal. xoxo

1 mickiruns April 1, 2011 at 4:45 pm

WOMAN I am soooo there!! I’m thrilled that you’ve decided to do this.

I too just signed up for a full, and I will admit that is scares me some!

I honestly didn’t do anything except asking family/friends to donate. I know people have done bake sales though!! Why don’t you donate a portion from your lovely wine creations to it?? Maybe run a special during a summer month? Just a thought – build on your talents! 🙂

2 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 1, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Congrats on that decision! What a wonderful cause — I’ve never heard of them but my dad’s story seems very similar to your father’s. Great choice! =)

3 Katherine: Unemployed April 1, 2011 at 4:52 pm

how awesome for you! I am excited to hear more about the progression of the training and love that it is more than something for yourself

4 Presley April 1, 2011 at 4:55 pm

That is so exciting! I have yet to even sign up for any length race at all… I need a “twin” to run with!

5 Sable@SquatLikeALady April 1, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Oh my gosh this is AMAZING! I am so excited for you! This is just great 🙂 A great cause, a great race, a great attitude…. I am wicked excited!

6 Freckled Foodie April 1, 2011 at 5:31 pm

congrats, girl! your dad will be so proud. XO.

7 fashionfitnessfoodie April 1, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Alyssa this made me tear when I read “running for you big guy!”
I lost my uncle (who was basically like my dad) to colon cancer and I run for him every year. I honestly believe you run faster when you have something behind it.
I will absolutely donate and you should do a bake sale!! We could all donate things to you and whoever the top bidder is wins 🙂

8 Jenny April 1, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Yay congrats on your first actual marathon, you are going to rock it for you and for your father. I love how passionate you are and the fact that you’re doing this for a great cause. Love you girl 😀

9 Sophia @ Raven Waves April 1, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Yay congrats!!!

10 movesnmunchies April 1, 2011 at 7:40 pm

this is FABULOUS!! esp since you have such a tie to the charity- thats what i always look for when running for charities.. goin to go check out your page now!! oh ps.. its SO nice you have such a great running buddy! i wish i had one!

11 LiveForTheRun April 1, 2011 at 8:00 pm

This is amazing!!! YEA!! GOOD FOR YOU!!! I wish you loads of luck, what an awesome cause.

12 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) April 1, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I LOVE this Alyssa!! You are SO amazing and inspirational!!

I ran my first race to raise money for Breast cancer after my aunt was diagnosed. The race was even more amazing because I knew I was running for her. I pinned a sign to my back with her name on and the words “I love you- keep fighting it!” and people encouraged me about it the whole way!! I cried so much and it really spurred me on in the race 🙂

I’ll DEFINITELY donate, and I’ll even help you with the bikini car washing if it comes to that! 😀

13 anastasia April 1, 2011 at 8:48 pm

love love loveeee! cant wait. you’re amazing!

14 Ma Ma Megan April 1, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Congrats!! That is so awesome
🙂

15 Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) April 1, 2011 at 11:51 pm

My most recent scary goal was actually going through with the half that I set for myself before my injury. I’m nervous to see how it goes but we will see. I can jog it out I suppose if something hurts too much.

What a great cause-that is seriously awesome.

16 kimberley April 2, 2011 at 12:07 am

Congrats, that is super exciting! I have just started running, I hope some day I will be able to do a full marathon! goodluck girl, you will be able to get the money easily – let us know what you decide on fundraiser ideas 🙂

17 Parita @ myinnershakti April 2, 2011 at 12:49 am

This post made my heart smile!!! Yay for 26.2 miles and running for your dad 🙂 You ROCK!

18 runyogarepeat April 2, 2011 at 12:55 am

Congrats on signing up! It’s great that you’re able to raise money for a cause close to your heart and to dash for your dad. I’m thinking about signing up my first marathon soon too, but it’s kinda a scary thought.

19 Kace April 2, 2011 at 1:04 am

Good luck good luck! Can’t wait to read about your training.

20 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries April 2, 2011 at 1:22 am

I’m so happy for you!! That’s so incredibly awesome that you get to run and raise money for something so close to you and your family. You’re going to be amazinnggg!!

21 Meri April 2, 2011 at 2:46 am

Wow- what a cool event to sign up for. I can’t wait to hear more about it!

22 happytalesblog April 2, 2011 at 4:28 am

AHHHHHH i am soooo extremely PROUD of you for singing up for your first full marathon, and I am so excited that you have such a meaningful cause to run for!!!! Your dad is going to be the proudest he has ever been of you, I just know it! YOU ARE AMAZING!!!

23 paijery April 2, 2011 at 6:10 am

Runnin’ for you, big guy = MADE MY DAY 😀
My dad is in a wheelchair and I would do anything for him! I would love to do something like this 🙂 You’re awesome! xo

24 Bella April 2, 2011 at 10:58 am

Running for your dad is lovely!

25 cupcake dynamite April 2, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I’m so excited for you!!! This is AWESOME! Your dad and my step-dad look alike.. LOL. Yay yay yayyy!!!!!!!!!!

26 Lee April 2, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I will donate. My dad was diagnosed with a rare form of bladder cancer in 2009. He had his entire bladder removed in early 2010 and is living cancer free now.

27 Katelyn April 3, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I am so excited for you!! I may be doing the ZERO Dash for Dad half in my city if I can train in time:) You have already raised so much money!!! I hope my parents will let me donate haha that’s how life works when I’m still living in the house…GET ME TO COLLEGE NOW. Love you, you are going to kick SO much ass. Next year let’s do the marine corps togeths?! I don’t know if I’ll be able to do the full marathon by then but at least I’ll do the half:)

28 AntosDoesLife April 3, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I will definitely help you raise money!! My first marathon I raised $300 towards breast cancer for my cousin since she was just diagnosed with Breast Cancer.

29 myhighonlife April 3, 2011 at 9:15 pm

So excited for you. Not only will you nail the race but we all know you’ll get plenty of money for the fundraising! My daddy had prostate cancer twice, now his PSA has been zero for a couple years, recovery is a beautiful thing 🙂 glad your daddy is doing well; every girl needs her daddy!!

30 moveovercelery April 3, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Oh my GOSH! How exciting!!! I’m excited to see your progress! You go girl.

Scary goal? My first halfie!

31 what katie's baking April 4, 2011 at 2:42 am

good luck alyssa, that’s SO awesome and brave of you!!!!!!
i’m super excited for you!
what a precious picture of you and your dad. you obv. get your good looks from him 😉

32 Holly April 4, 2011 at 2:09 pm

CONGRATS on signing up for the marathon! So awesome that you get to run for such a great cause 😀

33 This Italian Family April 4, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Girl, I LOVE that you are doing this! How precious that you are doing something to raise money for a cause so close to your heart. And I am so glad to hear how well your dad is doing now! 🙂

And by the way, you and your dad are precious together! 🙂