Carrie from Moves ‘N Munchies: A Vegan Lifestyle

April 4, 2011 · 42 comments

AWESOME news.
I have raised over HALF of my goal
for ZERO: the project to end prostate cancer!
To all of my donors, I can’t thank you enough.
And to all of you thinking of donating,
I’ll adore you if you do. I’ll send you virtual kisses.
Especially because, if you do, I won’t have to resort to bikini car washes.

To support my cause and my daddy,
please visit my fundraising website here.

YAY for the Phils opening weekend and money for prostate cancer!

OKAY, onward with today’s special guest…

When Carrie first contacted me, I was thrilled to find a cute little American girl living in London. Since I spent my childhood growing up in England for my dad’s job, I found a little kindred spirit in Carrie and her blog,
Moves ‘N Munchies.

SO – being the nonvegan that I am, I was curious to hear about her Vegan lifestyle. I’ve never considered being vegan,
so if you’re like me, you may find this pretty interesante!

And she’s cute to boot. Duh.

___________________________________________________

Hello Life of bLyss readers!!! My name is Carrie and I write this pretty sweet blog called Moves ‘N Munchies. Im super stoked to be writing a guest post today, but FIRST let me introduce myself a little more! I live in London, but I’m actually American, I have a sheltie, I LOVVEE to workout AND I am a vegan.

Oh heyyy.. that's me.. before a Halloween party

Yep, you heard it right. I am a vegan- and I LURVE it. So today, I wanted to talk to you all about well, being a vegan!

So first things first- why vegan? Basically my decision to go vegan was down to two main things: for my health and for ethical reasons. I’m not going to preach about how horrible animals are treated or how you ‘shouldn’t eat animal products… cuz that’s not how I roll.. While I am a vegan, I once was not, so I totally respect those who choose not to be! 🙂

Over a year ago I wanted to cut out red meat– I had read up on how unhealthy it was for our bodies and frankly, I really was never a fan of a big steak or burger, so I thought… why not? I was still eating fish and chicken until about November of 2010…why? because I honestly did not enjoy meat- the taste, the flavor just wasn’t my thing, so I stopped.

Oh dear.. this post is already getting wordy and I’m just at the beginning…I gotta pick up speed!! So no meat- then come December and dairy was giving me the MEGA CRAMPS and blotation– (<– made up word)… I had read up on how dairy can do that so I was like.. okay.. so done with this and BAM- vegan diet right there.

BUTTTTT I don’t think being a vegan is all about diet.. I mean there are clothes with animal products, makeup with animal products and unfortunately almost everything with animal products. I became more and more educated on the farming industry and how animals are treated and was just horrified…. It didn’t take long before I truly decided that I wanted this decision to be for me and for all the other animals on this earth! Oh and the fact that it helps the environment is a bonus.

OKAY- moving on to my next point… dining out vegan can be ROUGH– usually when I tell the waiter I am vegan I get this….

source

And then I have to list almost every animal ingredient known to man just to clarify.. no butter, no cream, no milk, no cheese, no beef, no chicken, no fish, no ANIMALS! Then I get the “Okay, I’ll see what the chef can do for you” response and they come out with something like this…

source

LIKKKKKKKEEE for real? You get me a bowl of spinach with olive oil? I coulda gone back there into your kitchen and made myself a hearty bean burger with a side of sweet potato fries!!!

GRRRR…. It is annoying sometimes, but you can always make it work… If I see a chicken salad sandwich on a menu and I see a steak with roasted veggies on the side, I will ask If I could have the roasted veggies from the steak dish in a sandwich (since I know you got bread!)… you just gotta be creative, and creative I AM!

The two main incidences where I went “WTF” because of an animal product in something I was eating/using was FIRST when I found out that the tortillas I was using- just plain old whole wheat tortillas had ANIMAL IN THEM- HUH?? How hard is it to make a whole wheat wrap? Flour, water, baking powder, some oil- why the EFF did this company have to put animal in a tortilla? POINTLESS I tell you……….. but it got worse– I also found out my lip gloss had animal products in it- say wha??? Lip gloss? Is this a joke? As you can tell, I was not too happy……..

Moving on to happier things…. Being a vegan rocks because I feel FREAKIN AMAZING– I kid you not.. my body thrives off this diet like no other. After only a week I felt lighter, more refreshed, more energized and just generally happier. I discovered the world of nuts, beans, tofu, legumes, grains and much much more that I was never really eating before…. if you ever come to my house- you’ll usually see me eating this stuff:

Luscious Bowls

Barley with my Vegan Pesto

Mushroom and Cannellini bean stew!

Veggie salads with homemade hummus, nuts and sandwich thin

LOTS of oats!

Carrot Cake Muffins with Cream Cheeze Frosting

So as you can see- I definitely do not live a boring life (and by life I mean food). To conclude this post… I am a vegan, it rocks, waiters can be dumb and I like to eat. Kay, that’s it from me- be sure to come check me out and read about my moves, my munchies and well, MY LIFE!

Questions of the Day (MnM Style!):
Have you ever tried anything vegan?
Have you ever been to London?
Do your waiters ever give you ‘the look’ too?

Go play with Carrie at http://movesnmunchies.wordpress.com/!

1 Kristina April 4, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Love it! I’m there with you with the frustration with restaurants! I can’t tell you how excited when I see that a place has hummus-its sad. Great post!

2 Amy Miller April 4, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I am a celiac (gluten free) and I get the look allll the time. Just the other day someone told my boyfriend’s mother that someone with celiac could eat bread and flour as long as it was freshly baked (ie less than a day old). I eat meat because I enjoy the taste and also because I already live a strictly condensed diet, but try to avoid buying products made with animals (most gluten free food is organic and made without animals so YAY!). I love Ali’s blog and I think I’ve found another I enjoy in yours! Take care 🙂

3 Sable@SquatLikeALady April 4, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I’m a vegetarian and while I don’t go out to eat much at all I do sometimes get “the look” — I’m a (hobbyist) bodybuilder and I SO frequently get asked, “Where do you get your protein?!?!?”

I want to transition to a vegan lifestyle for the same reasons you listed — but I think it’s going to be a slow process. Right now I’m working on eating less dairy.

4 Jenn @ Peas & Crayons April 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Congrats on raising over half your goal so far!!!! ahhh you are ROCKING it!

and hooray for carrie’s article too =) love it!

5 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 4, 2011 at 3:21 pm

You will clearly surpass your goal by race time! And I really enjoyed Carrie’s post… definitely need to try some of those treats out!

6 Kimberley April 4, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Girl, you in inspire me to want to become vegan! I am a vegetarian and I was the same way as you, I ate meat growing because it was there and my family was having it although I did not like the taste and it did not excite me. There are so many wonderful options out there that does not include meat. Being a vegetarian I get so many of those looks already so I can’t imagine if I became vegan and have to try and get food at restaurants! However, I would love to explore some vegan options so maybe one day I could switch over to a vegan diet 🙂

7 Blogging for a Change April 4, 2011 at 3:58 pm

hahahah i can totally relate to Carrie’s dining-out experiences!

8 Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) April 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Carries food always looks like the bomb.com. What a great interview. She can come be my chief anytime. I always look trying different vegan dishes although I can’t give up meat ever.

9 Sophia @ Raven Waves April 4, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Great post, Carrie! While I’m not vegan, I totally respect anyone that came make that switch. More power to ya!

10 Mandiee April 4, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I can totally relate to you, Carrie. I was laughing so hard when I read this!
Have a lovely day!

11 Lisa April 4, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Great post Carrie! I’m so with you on the frustration.
I’ve never been to London. Someday maybe!

I don’t give waiters the look—I think maybe I’m cynical, just expecting none of them to ever know what I’m talking about!

12 runyogarepeat April 4, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Congrats on raising the fundraising money girl!
Carrie always makes me laugh, and her food always looks so good. I’m not a vegan, but I often mix things around on the menu to make a vegetarian dish besides a salad or veggie burger. I even asked the waiter last week if I could just get extra broccoli instead of fries (since it came with 2 sides), and he delivered with tons of flavorful broc!

13 Emilia April 4, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Great post, Carrie! Throughly agree with it all, and love reading your journey to veganism and health. Keep it up, but in a healthy way, as you know 🙂 xoxo

14 simplynutritiouskate April 4, 2011 at 6:27 pm

that is the biggest thing I am concerned about is how to tell a waiter when I go to a restaurant that I am vegan… therefore I have eaten out 3 times since cutting out animal products and two of the three times were @ a vegan restaurant. Any tips?

15 Lily April 4, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Love that picture of the waiter’s face!
I can definitely see myself turning vegan one day but as I get a lot of my meals on the go I think it’d be difficult at the moment…I get a weird enough reaction already from not eating red meat or dairy products but I think the world is gradually changing to a more vegan-friendly place 🙂 x

16 Jenny April 4, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Congrats on raising over half of your goal girl!! 😀
Love your post Carrie! The luscious bowls never let me down 😉

17 snackgirlgoeshealthy April 4, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I love this Carrie!! I know what you mean about taking one item onto another part of the menu to make it a meal! I hate when they are complicated and are like “no we can’t do that…” GRR. I’ve had them do that!! I’ll ask if I can have the side of veggies from something else on the menu and I’LL even pay extra and they are like “no, sorry!” GAHH!!

18 Ma Ma Megan April 4, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Ordering at restaurants is hard. Usually I call ahead or check their website for an allergen menu just be sure. I rarely eat out though, often I think it’s silly because A) i love to cook and B) I can usually recreate whatever it is I’m being served at home.

19 Ellie April 4, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I soo would love to go to London someday! 😀 and omgshhhh that “HUUUUUHHHH” part about the waiters is so funny hehe. While I’m not vegan, I love to eat vegan dishes half of the time because I think they just taste so good, and they’re very light and easy on my stomach. Many times my tummy has funky activity going on, and therefore, eat vegan quite often. I’m not really heading towards that road of complete veganism, and perhaps someday I will be! who knows? I’ll just remain flexible. great post girls!

20 Olivia April 4, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Yay I love Carrie!! You did an amazing job on this post girlie, and your eats totally make me want to be 100% vegan…almost anyway!!

21 stuffedsillysarah April 4, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Lol… both funny and informative 🙂 x x

22 Errign April 4, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I like the “vegan look” photo 🙂

I don’t eat any specific way, but I think it’s awesome that vegan eating works for you 🙂 Everything vegan I have tried has been baller, so I bet all of your eats are too!

23 Emily April 4, 2011 at 9:06 pm

“I am a vegan, it rocks, waiters can be dumb and I like to eat.”

^Favorite sentence ever.

24 hippierunner April 4, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Awesome post Carrie! You are so funny! I don’t get that look from waiters because I usually try to dine at veg-friendly places and I think in L.A. waiters are pretty used to it.

25 moveovercelery April 4, 2011 at 9:22 pm

So cool! Although I’m not vegan myself, I have a ton of respect for those who are. Gotta love Carrie!

26 Tara April 4, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I root for the phils too! I love my philly sports (I actually have a shirt that says that, and one that says the best girls root for philly)

When I was in Spain I asked for a salad with no meat. I didn’t realize that they only consider red meat to be “meat” so I got tuna on my salad! I had to pick it off.

27 (what runs) Lori April 4, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I do believe I need a Luscious Bowl NOW! YUM.

Fun reading about your food past and trials. I was raw vegan for about 9 months and loved it but it was hard to sustain that style of eating in the winter- not to mention trying to gain muscle was hard for me without eating meat. But I do feel best when I eat minimal meat and load up on veggies! Yum. 🙂

28 This Italian Family April 4, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Congrats on already raising half your goal, girl! Way to go! You will have it all in no time. 🙂

Enjoy reading this, Carrie, thanks for sharing. I always love learning more about where people are coming from with their choices when it comes to food. I especially appreciate the research and study you have put into this. And I love that you are so creative in your cooking and don’t just stick to lettuce. 🙂 Good stuff for sure!

29 Kat @ Cupcake Kat April 5, 2011 at 1:44 am

This was so much fun to read. I am considering becoming a vegan for the same reasons. I don’t really like meat and dairy sometimes messes with my digestion. I’m eating almost all vegan now, so I’m almost there!

30 theflourishingfoodie April 5, 2011 at 2:02 am

Great post! I’ve always wondered about how it is trying to eat vegan at a restaurant. I really want to try going vegan for like a week…

31 littlecollegevegan April 5, 2011 at 2:57 am

I loveeeee being vegan….except I really hate when I tell some people and they look at me like I’m crazy and missing out on some huge thing and life and don’t seem to understand that I LOVE being vegan. Its get frustrating, but then I’ll bake them yummy vegan goodies for them and then all is right in the world:)

p.s. Alyssa I love your blog!

32 Mandi April 5, 2011 at 3:22 am

Great post Carrie! Anyone who thinks you have to give up eating good food and solely survive and lettuce to become vegan needs to seriously stop by your blog. You definitely have me drooling over all those delicious looking pictures. 🙂

33 what katie's baking April 5, 2011 at 3:57 am

first of all— ALYSSAA!!! i got the shot glass today and it’s so freakin’ cute. i love it!! thanks so much!! 🙂 i’ll be blogging about it soon.
second of all- carrie, awesome! i never considered being vegan before, but your viewpoints are super hard to debate! love your blog, by the way!

34 fashionfitnessfoodie April 5, 2011 at 11:01 am

I WENT VEGAN FOR A WEEK AND IT WAS TOUGH!! sorry dont know why i’m yelling 🙂
i did like the way i felt but i think i need to do more research so I know every product that is allowed.
just donated for your daddy 🙂

35 The Preppy Vegan April 12, 2011 at 11:54 am

Love this! Being vegan is the best thing I have ever done for myself. And while it is challenging, it gives me a lot of satisfaction that I put my health and compassion for others over momentary pleasures and convenience. All I can say is, don’t knock until you’ve tried it (and the recipes on my blog! http://www.thepreppyvegan.com).