“Run Today, Brag Forever.”

March 22, 2011 · 35 comments

Today’s post title is inspired by a little boy sitting on his mom’s shoulders during the Shamrock. He was holding a hand painted sign, “RUN TODAY. BRAG FOREVER.” I fell in love with him and I may have asked him to marry me.

I hope you’re ready for a baller race recap, cause I’ve got an overshare of pictures comin’ your way.

Let’s cut to the chase first – the BIG NEWS.

I cut some serious time off my half marathon PR. I finished in 1:42:56.

16th place (top 2.5%) in my age group. 537th place out of 6869 runners.

Yuengling has never tasted so good.

And my toes still really, really hurt… but it was so worth it.

I’ll set the scene on Saturday night: lots of water (thank you, Camelbak). Oodles of pasta. Stuffed animals and a pre-race slumber party. Yaaaaay, we are running twins and we are 6 years old!

so cool. ...we're also wearing our Shamrock shirts for luck.

Fast forward to 5:15 a.m. Sunday morning. Anastasia and I are up, we’re stressing over going to the bathroom (honestly), we’re eating a breakfast of light carbs, and we’re visualizing this:

there's nothing like a boardwalk finish line.

Garmin Forerunner at the ready, iPods and Gu in hand, and potty stop complete, we’re running to the starting line, late as usual, and slide into corral 3 (oops.. we were supposed to be in Corral 1, but we never seem to make it in time for our accurate starting place).

we ran this... (route in yellow)

like this!

Haaha.. that’s the pace calculator stats from my Garmin. Can you tell where our water breaks were? And that I sprinted the last mile at a 6:30 pace before forgetting to turn the Garmin off as I dizzily wandered to the bananas just past the finish line? ;)

This is how we felt post-race.

like. a. bamf.

If it weren’t for this girl, I would have never even tried to run a half marathon. Ever. Now, thanks to her, I’ve completed three!

so much love for my running twin.

And the Yuengling Shamrock Half Marathon post-race party goes down in history as the best I’ve attended. By far.

"A Team!"

And, although we all planned to meet up for the after-party, we even saw John during the race!

running pals fo lyfe.

Lisa-Marie and Seth even cheered us on when we passed the beach house on the oceanfront. It’s such a great feeling to see your friends cheering you on from the sideline.

Rob gets big props as the best supporter/photographer we’ve got. I’m pretty psyched for our plans to run another half in May. Half marathon #4, here we come!

we run fast together.

It goes without saying we had a blast at the after-party. There was a little Yuengling, a lot of dancing, and a little stretching.

stretchin' those legs

And THEN… our results were announced.

see that joy?

We ran the entire race together except for the last mile. We shaved a collective 27 minutes from our previous personal records. HIGH FIVES AND HUGS ALL AROUND!

WE RUN! and it feeeeels goood!

success. happiness.

WOOO-HOOO!

...now let's get fat.

Because, let’s be honest… what’s the point in running 13.1 miles and not pigging out on tuna wraps, fries, nachos, and froyo afterwards? ;)

Dear Shamrock Half Marathon 2011: Consider yourself dominated.

Love, the A Team.

1 mickiruns March 22, 2011 at 4:24 pm

OMG AWESOMESAUCE!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS WOMAN!!! Talk about running your little heart out, what an amazing race!!

2 Jamie March 22, 2011 at 4:25 pm

THIS GAVE ME GOOOOOOOSEBUMPS I am so proud of you two!! YOU CRUSSSSSSSHED it! The pics are SOOO CUTE, I LOVED that sand sculpture!!!

3 Jess March 22, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Love that sign and GREAT JOB! What an awesome time.

4 Hungry Dancer March 22, 2011 at 4:37 pm

WOW!!! You did AMAZING!!! Yay for new PR you rock!!

5 meg o@ watchmegorun March 22, 2011 at 4:45 pm

you are a beast, you speed demon! Amazing job, I love the pics. I’m so jealous u have a running twin to push you like that!

6 Jess (In My Healthy Opinion) March 22, 2011 at 4:48 pm

HUGE congratulations!! That’s seriously so amazing. I can’t run 1 mile, let alone 13.1 at the speed of light. :) I am so jealous of the beach pictures too!!

7 fashionfitnessfoodie March 22, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I wish you lived near me so I could train with you!! Awesome job and I love this post :)

8 Meaghan March 22, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Congrats!! That is so awesome!!!!!!! :)

9 Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) March 22, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Seriously awesome job girl! I’m running my first half in a few weeks and looking to about the same time…twinnies!

My spring break falls on the weekend of the Shamrock so I’m obviously super excited to run next year! :)

10 Alyssa March 22, 2011 at 6:31 pm

woohooo! we’re contemplating making the Shamrock 2010 our first FULL… still to be determined, but I REALLY wanna do it! :)

11 Danielle March 22, 2011 at 7:40 pm

13 minutes off is AWESOME!! Congrats!

12 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 22, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Oh my gawddd, you speed demon!! That’s so awesome! I loved, loved all the pictures. You’re too flipping cute! :)

13 movesnmunchies March 22, 2011 at 8:18 pm

AKSdjflksdjfklsjdI REALLY NEED TO RUN WITH YOU GIRL! THAT IS INSANELY IMPRESSIVE!!!!! 13 min.. holy WOW! my eyes just about fell out of my head when i read that!!! and WOOHOO For good food to celebrate!

14 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) March 22, 2011 at 9:18 pm

AAAAAH you are so FREAKIN AWESOME girl!!! Seriously that is absolutely AMAZING and you are actually the most gorgeous person EVER as well, so I’ve got some serious jealousy going on over here!! ;)

CONGRATS again you speed demon and I can’t WAIT to see how you do in half #4!! :D

15 Sophia @ Raven Waves March 22, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Congrats on improving your time by that much!! That’s so amazing!! Looks like you guys had such a fun time!

16 Jenny March 22, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Good job on your PR!!! Woot Woot! You are a speed racer for sure. Such awesome pictures, everyone looks great :D

17 Jenn @ Peas & Crayons March 22, 2011 at 10:13 pm

awwwwww hooray for bestie movtivation!!!! I love the sign that boy was holding! <3 that needs to be every runner's bumper sticker!!!!

congrats again doll!

18 Sable@SquatLikeALady March 22, 2011 at 10:47 pm

AWWWWWwwwww I love this post!! You are a total ROCKSTAR and such a great runner and WOW what a ton of accomplishments!! :) You are amazing and an inspiration!!!!

19 myhighonlife March 23, 2011 at 1:08 am

Way to *killl* that half! That’s a super great time & whats even more important is it was FUN and enjoyable! great job.
I wish I lived somewhere near you so I could have someone fun and fast to run with :)

Love that quote. That kid is geniousss

20 This Italian Family March 23, 2011 at 1:27 am

Oh my goodness, you rock, Alyssa! I’m so impressed! Looks like you had so much fun too. :) And I LOVE the title to this post! I need to tell my husband that. I bet it would convince him to run. ;)

21 Lee March 23, 2011 at 1:54 am

Dude, that’s awesome! Congrats on your PR! Which half are you running in May?

22 Alyssa March 23, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I’m considering the Williamsburg half!

23 Ava Aston's Muckery March 23, 2011 at 6:58 am

I enjoy running as well. Fun blog. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,

Ava
xox

24 adventuresofpretendcook March 23, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Congrats on your race! That is so awesome. You did a great job and it looks like you had a lot of fun.

25 Kace March 23, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Great job! That race looks super fun. I’ll have to keep it in mind…

26 healthycollegegirl March 23, 2011 at 2:28 pm

congratulations!!! what an awesome run!
and I could not agree more that eating anything and everything you want after a half-marathon is TOTALLY necessary :)

27 Parita @ myinnershakti March 23, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Congrats!!! That’s so exciting. You are a speed racer! :)

28 Annabel @ www.FeedMeImCranky.com March 23, 2011 at 8:16 pm

WOW! way to go on your time! Amazeballs!

29 Haleigh March 30, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Aww, yay! Congrats on such an awesome time, and what looks like to be a crazy fun Half Marathon!!

30 Carrie January 5, 2012 at 12:23 am

I think you’ve convinced me to run this race!! It’s the same weekend as the new Rock and Roll USA half in DC, so I’ve been going back and forth about which to do. You totally had me at “best after party ever.” I really want to run a sub-2 hour race and I’m hoping the beach is the place to do it (yay flatness).
Cheers!!
Carrie recently posted..Spotlight: Wedding FlowersMy Profile

31 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 5, 2012 at 1:14 am

come do it! I’ll be there attempting a PR. :)