Race Weekend Extras

March 23, 2011 · 20 comments

Yesterday’s Race Recap, although fun, was getting obnoxiously long to include all the other fun weekend activities we took part in. SO, I saved them for you today. :)

We started our fun race activities at the Expo on Friday night. There, we indulged in lots of “treats” (samples), race paraphernalia, and fun informational booths.

A college friend of mine had these running shoes (Newtons), and couldn’t say enough good things about them. I’ve been lusting over the hot pink ones ever since. Has anyone tried these babies out/know much about them?

I’m on the fence with these. I need to replace my current Asics, but I need a neutral stability shoe for skinny feet… which is why I LOVE Asics.

clearly, we're Asics girls.

the perfect saying for me. AND her.

Anastasia and I were thisclose to buying these sleeves… but opted for a cheaper option.

see that? "will run for wine."

And my 13.1 car sticker is getting a little weathered, so I got a new one. AND another great addition. ;) Where can I find a half marathon that gives me wine at the post-race party?

On Saturday morning, Anastasia, Lisa-Marie, and I went to cheer on the boys while they ran the Shamrock 8k. Their team came in first place, and they finished in 35:00!

8k champs

During their post-race party, us spectators focused on our Camelbaks. Hydration is so key one day out from a half marathon!

hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

No beer for us half-ers.

Cheapo Racing Sleeves

We also discovered a very smart (and cheap. and easy) trick for cold race days.

See: Above racing sleeves. They were $18.99. And they were cute, but that’s a lot of money to spend on something you’re not sure you’re gonna want to wear for an entire 13.1 miles.

SO.. we got a little creative. Anastasia and I patrolled Target for some long socks. We cut the little feet off, slid them on our arms, and… ta-da! Perfect cheap sleeves we could rip off and toss on the side of the road if we get too hot.

AND they make you look tough.

Interestingly enough, we never did take them off (it was a chilly/windy morning!), but I would have totally discarded them on the race route if I had gotten too overheated.

So, go get some long socks for your upcoming Spring race. After you toss ‘em, you won’t feel the least bit guilty. ;)

So… have you ever used the pricey running sleeves? I’ve gotta say, I was very tempted by the “Some girls chase boys… I pass ‘em” slogan.

And for you skinny-footed neutral runners, are you Asics fans? Do you know anything about Newton running shoes? What’s your favorite running shoe brand?

1 cupcake dynamite March 23, 2011 at 3:51 pm

PLEASE buy those shoes so I can admire your feet while we run. THOSE ARE AMAZING! I’ve never had sleeves but want them because they look hardcore. bahahah

2 mickiruns March 23, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I LOVE Newton shoes – I don’t have some, but a very nice running store let me use them for like, an hour while I pranced around their store once. They’re amazing.

I haven’t used sleeves, at all – I’m more of a gloves chick ;)

I just bought my first pair of Asics yesterday, and my skinny feet love them!

3 Sable March 23, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I loooove your face in the last pic! :) haha.

I have no useful shoe feedback except: I think you should get them JUST BECAUSE they look so cute! :) Is that a valid argument?

4 meg o@ watchmegorun March 23, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I haven’t tried newtons, but they look sooo cute. I loooove my brooks, have you tried brooks at all?? AAAAMMMAAAZZIINNNGG

5 Hungry Dancer March 23, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I love those sleeves!!! The sayings are amazeballs!!!

6 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) March 23, 2011 at 6:43 pm

LOVE those arm sleeves!! I totally am trying that soon!!

I REALLY want to try Newtons!! There’s this deal at the mo (in the UK anyway!) where you can buy a pair and get another pair of your choice to ‘test’ for free!! You have to give feedback but you get to keep them!! SO cool!! :D

And I’m an Asics girl too, but I LOVE my Saucony racing flats :)

7 Kelli@Baker on the Run March 23, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I’m a skinny-footed neutral runner and my most recent shoes have been treating me pretty well. I picked up a pair of Nike LunarMx+ at an outlet for less than forty bucks (crazy on sale), but they’re also on sale at the nike website for $79 here: http://tinyurl.com/mynikeshoes. It’s a great lightweight shoe for distance runners, at least that’s what I hear (and I have no complaints!) ;)

8 Shanna, like Banana March 23, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Actualky a lot of races in Northern Cali have wine at the end because that’s just how we roll ;)

9 Alyssa March 23, 2011 at 8:19 pm

PLEASE transplant me to Cali? Maybe THAT should be my first full marathon!

10 Alycia (Crowley Party) March 23, 2011 at 8:14 pm

A couple years ago I did a half and loved it! I am attempting to train for my first full coming up in June…. bah!

11 Alyssa March 23, 2011 at 8:18 pm

aah, you go girl! as of now, I’m totally planning on making next year’s Shamrock my first full. eeeeeks!

12 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 23, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I just drink wine. No running required ;)

13 Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) March 23, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I love Newtons. I will never go back to any other running shoe. I’m glad you had such a good time. That is always the best part. ;)

14 Jenny March 23, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Those shoes are so cute! I’ve never seen them before. They look so great on you. I think I would fall in love with hot pink shoes ;)

15 movesnmunchies March 23, 2011 at 10:04 pm

ive never even thought about running sleeves! i prefer going naked (my arms of course!) what a fun pre race thang though!! i wish they had things liek that over here!

16 AntosDoesLife March 23, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I love that idea with the socks! I have never tried sleeves like that because I usually just opt for long sleeves but that is definitely an interesting option!

I love Asics and I too have heard a lot about Newton’s but my feet require a bit more support and I don’t really run on my toes like you’re supposed to in Newton’s so I’ll just be sticking with my Asics. :)

17 Sophia @ Raven Waves March 23, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Congrats to the boys! That sleeve is so cute! I don’t own any running sleeves :( I run in Nikes. Love them!

18 fashionfitnessfoodie March 24, 2011 at 1:13 am

I really need new running shoes but I’m a slacker!

Those sleeves are super cute though – I’m sure your creative self can make one!!

On the food processor get the $40 cuisinart from Bed Bath and beyond – Use a $5 off coupon – You cant print them offline!

19 Alyssa March 24, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I’m so doing this!

20 Little Miss Fitness March 24, 2011 at 1:56 am

Looks like so much fun!! :)

I used to wear Asics and was a huge fan…but no I have a pair of Brooks and love them!