Post-Race Ouchies

March 21, 2011 · 29 comments

I have big news!

The Yuengling Shamrock Half Marathon was amazing. It goes down in history as my favorite race yet, from start to finish.

And the success I had is only part of all the love I’m giving this race. ;)

best. medal. ever.

P.S. …My medal is a bottle opener.

However, I’m going to wait to share my big news for when I have all the pictures to share with you all.  My camera is still en route to me, and Anastasia took all of the pictures on her camera.

SO… a full race recap, including our times, will materialize tomorrow. Get excited!

Preview: I have never been so, so spent at a finish line in my entire life. And I came in 16th in my age group!! :-D

In the meantime, I’m going to nurse my sore muscles and my [almost lack of] second left toenail. I didn’t realize it until I took my sneakers off around 5 p.m. yesterday, but I truly ran my toesies off. Sick, I know.

we actually saw this sticker at the expo on Friday...

I’ll spare you of the gory visual (I really hate feed and will avoid them/talking about them whenever possible), but trust me, my toe is purple. And it hurts when anything touches it.

Dear mother nature, will you pretty please give me some really warm weather for a while so I can keep wearing flip flops everywhere? :)

gimme some of THAT weather.

So… I’m now calling all you runner’s toe pros. Anything I should do for this baby to make it feel better?

Other than get lots of loving kisses from my baby, that is.

Chloe's back home!

Check back tomorrow for a full race recap! ;)

I have to add a HUGE thank you to all of my loving friends who commented, send messages, and commented to cheer me on. It made me feel so loved!

What did you do this weekend? Have you ever experienced “runner’s toenail” before? Ewww, I know.

1 Sable@SquatLikeALady March 21, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Chloe is SOOOOO cute! OMG! :)

Ugh. I too hate feet and REFUSE to touch my own let alone someone else’s unless it is absolutely necessary and unavoidable…and I can’t get someone else to do it for me. lol!

2 tknologlvr March 21, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Awesome finish, Alyssa! Sorry about the toe. I do know you suppose to take a few days off after a race. Start back running/training lightly.

3 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 21, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Congrats, lady!! Now I’m all excited about your big news!! Hurry up and get ‘cho camera! ;)

4 Parita @ myinnershakti March 21, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Yay! Glad your race went well. Can’t wait to read about your big news! And if you do end up getting some warmer weather, please send it my way!!!

5 mickiruns March 21, 2011 at 5:00 pm

SO excited to hear about your news!! Congrats on the half, I knew you would rock it!!

I’ve lost toenails in the past, and hated it. I LOATHE feet with a passion as well. Wish I could remember what I did for it though…

6 cupcake dynamite March 21, 2011 at 5:20 pm

YAYYYYY! I’m excited for your re-cap! You are great!!!! I love that lil Chloe.

7 fitchocoholic March 21, 2011 at 6:22 pm

can’t wait for the news!!!
I’ll try to send some brazilian summer weather your way! :D

8 Ma Ma Megan March 21, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Great job!!

That doggy is adorable :)

9 Maleah March 21, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Congrats!! I stalked the results and saw your time already!! GREAT JOB!!!!
For your toe, icing it or doing a small ice bath will help with the pain and take the edge off the sensitivity. If you have to wear closed-toe shoes, putting a donut-type pad on your toe would help. I have padding material available to me. I could make you one and send it to you if you want.

10 Alyssa March 21, 2011 at 6:41 pm

ahhh, Maleah, you’re awesome. :) I meant to send you my results! I’m super excited. lots better than my last, huh? I’m planning on running the Williamsburg Half in May and going completely all-out. SO excited!

11 myhighonlife March 21, 2011 at 6:49 pm

That medal is bombbbb, so neat. Congrats on a successful race, can’t wait to see the full recap!

12 Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) March 21, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I’m glad you did so fabulously!

Um-funny story. I lost my big toe nail about a year ago from running and painted the skin when I painted my nails because as a swimmer too…unpainted toes are grimey let alone not having a toenail.

My dad ripped his quad muscle during the race around the 15 mile route. It was actually really devastated for him because he was on route to a 3:30 PR and finally qualifying for Boston. He is pretty bumming right now but he will bounce back. :(

13 Alyssa March 21, 2011 at 7:40 pm

oh, NO… I’m so sad to hear that! :( everything happens as it’s meant to… Boston’s just not ready for him yet. ;)

14 tinkerbelle86 March 21, 2011 at 7:27 pm

yeah but well done you!!! few toe nails, collateral damage!

15 Jenn @ Peas & Crayons March 21, 2011 at 7:44 pm

awwwwww poor thing! I wish I had some stellar advice but I think the gals above me have more experience in this matter. I just turn to wine =)

Chloe will fix it!!!! =)

16 Katelyn March 21, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Haha girl I love that you’re using my crazykins vocab now! Spread the loveee:)

You kicked ass pretty lady, I can’t wait to hear the big news!

17 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) March 21, 2011 at 8:34 pm

YAAAAY go you!!! Can’t wait to read the full recap!! :D

Your poor toe!! I’ve never had that before- just blisters the size of my head!! I would send you some of my Barbie plasters- they have magical healing qualities ;)

18 Alyssa March 22, 2011 at 1:15 am

Emma, I would so, so love that. ;) magical healing barbies are what my toes are needing right now!

19 lindsay March 21, 2011 at 8:51 pm

congrats on a great race! I love that the medal is a bottle opener! those are the best gifts.
P.S.
I want chloe!

20 (what runs) Lori March 21, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Uh, I usually averaged having about 7 toenails living out of 10 (duh) when I was running. No matter what. Cut them short, get new shoes that really fit right… that’s about it. Just means your actually running, right? lol

I love that metal- coolest metal ever- a bottle opener!

21 movesnmunchies March 21, 2011 at 9:21 pm

YIKES girl im sorry about your toe!! but DANG awesome JOB! i cnt wait for this recap!!! CHLOE IS SO FREAKIN CUTE!!!!!!!! as are you!! you are seriously…STUNNING

22 Alyssa March 22, 2011 at 1:16 am

Carrie, you’re so sweet. can you just follow me around and tell me that all day? it’ll be great. I’ll even let you have chloe. most of the time.

23 Jenny March 21, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Chloe is adorable girl!! And what an awesome medal lol :)

24 Kace March 21, 2011 at 10:52 pm

DAHHH omg I want that medal.

25 Sophia @ Raven Waves March 21, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Can’t wait to hear more about the race! And a medal with a bottle opener…so cool!

26 mego@watchmegorun March 22, 2011 at 1:24 am

wooo hoo, way to rock your 1/2!! I can’t wait to read the recap. That medal is super cute too :)

27 Kristina March 22, 2011 at 1:58 am

That stinks about the toes-i’ve been reading your tweets too, haha….

ps-you won my giveaway a gazillion days ago-if you still want the granola please send me your address via email (not sure if you got my other comment and tweets letting you know)

28 Alyssa March 22, 2011 at 1:03 pm

my face = =D right now.

29 Rachel @ The Avid Appetite March 22, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Congrats lady! So exciting about the race. Not so exciting about your toe! Hope it feels better soon!