For the Love of Pepper Jelly

March 1, 2011 · 30 comments

I have a new love. Its first name starts with a P and it rhymes with Lepper Belly.

(source)

I’m somewhat obsessed.

I was first introduced to the wonderful mixture of cream cheese and pepper jelly by Jan, my college advisor for our event planning committee. Remembering how much I loved it, I snagged some homemade pepper jelly from Rosemont Winery when we went for my birthday weekend in January.

Rosemont Pepper Jelly plus Laughing Cow Light. AKA The Dream Team.

The jar is now empty.

When I really like something, I generally try and save it for as long as I possibly can. I’ve been putting pepper jelly on celery sticks for a month now. Yuuu-um!

I added my last bit of pepper jelly to an old favorite… the Healthified Egg McMuffin.

Laughing Cow Light Swiss + PJ

also added to the Bagel Thin Egg McMuffin: Spinach and Broccoli Slaw!

Please forgive me for the Blackberry photos. I figure they’re better than nothing, right?

I’m currently dreaming of making my own homemade pepper jelly. My only hesitation is the ingredient, “pectin.” What the heck is pectin, and where do I get it? Has anyone used this before?

I’ve also come across a new favorite oatmeal. Check out this bad boy…

now satisfying chocoholics everywhere.

I found these at my Food Lion (the blueberry muffin flavor is even better), but a coworker told me there’s many more varieties at Farm Fresh.. along with a 100 calorie version!

chocolatey oats

I’m so there.

And going along with my chocolatey theme of the day, I topped a banana nut VitaTop with some Smucker’s Fat Free Sundae Syrup.

It’s okay, you don’t have to pretend you’re not salivating at the thought.

that just happened.

They’re baaaack…

They’re the reason I went from hurdler to sprinter in track.

They have cost me lots of money in ice packs.

They make me make this face.

waaaah.

The SHIN SPLINTS.

I’ve been so proud of myself for my outdoor running the past few weeks. But, of course, right on cue, my posterior shin splints are officially back and hurting like nobody’s biz.

I attempted 3 miles on the treadmill yesterday before Power Cut Class, and they were killing me.

I need to get back into my shin stretching routine. And maybe invest in another ice pack. Grrrr..

*EDITED TO ADD: Jennifer is having a deelicious giveaway! Check her out!

Does anybody else notice running injuries happening only when they run outside? I’m thinking this may be due to my pavement pounding. I need some bouncy grass to run on.

What’s your most annoying running side effect?

1 Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) March 1, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Welcome to wordpress! 🙂

I love pepper jelly too… it’s so good on peas!

2 tknologlvr March 1, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Hate shin splints! How many miles have you logged on your shoes? No more than 400! If you can, go to a running specialty store and be properly fitted for shoes. There are at least three types of running shoes depending on amount of foot pronation. I run in Mizunos – fabulous. Anyway, ice bath, ibuprofin, and calf raises for now. You should rest from running for two weeks.

3 Jenn @ Peas and Crayons March 1, 2011 at 4:02 pm

First of — girrrrllll find me on twitter (peas and crayons!)

Second – pectin is totally natural =) It’s in fruit and veggies and is their own personal thickener! fab stuff – I think most places carry it? in the baking aisle I suppose?

third – booooo shin spints! i flipping hate them =( feel better dollface!

4 Lesley March 1, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Mmm, my mom makes pepper jelly every year, though I’ve never tried it with Laughing Cow … good idea! 🙂

5 Parita @ myinnershakti March 1, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Oh, running injuries are far too familiar! Due to years of running in the wrong running shoes and not listening to my body, my knees act up every now and then. It’s gotten better since I got fitted for shoes and insoles. 🙂 Hope you feel better!

6 Kace March 1, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I get those sometimes too; my brother (a track coach) taught me some good shin warm ups and stretches to do before going out. I also try and run on grass every now and then.

Most annoying is allergy season. It’s starting up as we speak and my endurance went from “Wow this is easy!” to “omg I might pass out.”

7 fashionfitnessfoodie March 1, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I get shin splints too! But I haven’t in a while… knock on wood!
No idea what pectin is but maybe since we have no idea it could be left out?

8 Rachel @ The Avid Appetite March 1, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Sorry about your shins, friend! That is the worst, especially when you are in stride with your run 🙁 Hope it feels better soon!

Oh and if you like pepper jelly, try Harry & David’s Sweet Red & Ancho Chili Pepper Jelly mixed with cream cheese. Seriously.

9 Sable March 1, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I found Pectin in the canning aisle (near the baking goods) at my Albertsons. Of course I live in farm country so everyone and their dog cans, which may be why it was so easy to find!

I get the most outrageously awful shin splints when I run. Which is why I ultimately gave up and now I bike and walk on a high incline. lol

10 happytalesblog March 1, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I am quite intrigued by this pepper jelly you speak of… I love jelly (and jam), and I loooove pepper! My guess is this stuff would be well accepted in my household.

Also, so sorry to hear about your shin splints!! ughhhh what a pain in the… shin?

11 Elin @andserenitytoo March 1, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Mmm, pepper jelly… sounds delicious!
Hope you beat those shin splints soon!

12 oatsandspice March 1, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I saw that oatmeal at the grocery store and wanted to know what it was like – thanks for posting pics… I will now buy it next time!

13 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 1, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I ran outside recently and I’ve been so annoyed with the new pain in the back of my left calf. Could that be a posterior shin splint? I had no idea such thing existed – I’m not an athlete, can you tell? And holy Moses, I love pepper jelly! My mom makes the simplest dip – just soften a block of cream cheese and pour some pepper jelly over it and serve with crackers. It’s the best!

14 Sweet Tooth Runner March 1, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Pepper jelly?! Sounds interesting…! And those oats look AMAZING!! 😀

Oh nooo, shin splints?! Bad times 🙁 I’m a pavement pounder too normally, but my injuries have been much more minor and less painful since I’ve been treadmilling more!! Hope you recover girlie! 🙂

15 oatsandspice March 1, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Hey Alyssa! I have one more question about the fonts on typekit – it is asking me for selectors… what are those? And where can I find them on my site? That is really the only thing I don’t understand 🙂

16 Jenny March 2, 2011 at 1:52 am

Those chocolate oats look amazing!!! Do they already come chocolatey? I’ve never seen those before!

17 Christin@purplebirdblog March 2, 2011 at 3:00 am

LMAO at lepper belly! 😉

18 This Italian Family March 2, 2011 at 3:47 am

Hehe! I have to admit, I laughed at “lepper belly”!

Shin splints are no fun. 🙁

19 alex March 2, 2011 at 11:13 am

hmm pepper jelly…sounds intriguing!

20 myhighonlife March 2, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Pepper jelly + Cream Cheese is divine. I had it this past summer and was in love.
Shin splints are the worst! Take care of those, the ice best is a best friend when it comes to those suckers. I just got over tendonitis a few weeks ago & while it sucked nursing my foot (read: NOT running at all!) it was worth it in the end! 🙂

21 Kayla March 2, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I hate shin splints and used to get them a lot but my mom and I started doing toe taps and now we never get shin splints! Right before we run we just tap the front part of our feet to the ground like 10 times on each foot. It does wonders!

22 Meaghan March 2, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Mm I love pepper jelly with cream cheese. I have never tried laughing cow (crazy I know!) but am so going to try that next.