Dear Fresh Market, I Like You.

March 9, 2011 · 22 comments

_________________________________

Don’t forget, there’s still time to enter my GIVEAWAY to win a free shot glass with the hand painted design of your choice! Click here for instructions to enter.

yours. all painted up. fo free.

_________________________________

My dad called me out the other day.

“Seems to me your blog is all about food.”

My response?

“IS NOT! I talk about Chloe a lot! And running! And I tell funny stories! AND I make videos!” Hmph.

just the important stuff.

I think my defensiveness to Dad’s (totally non-offensive) comment stems from my effort to make this blog the kind of blog I’d enjoy reading. I don’t post my every meal because, well, it’d be boring. I think it’s silly to report my repeat bagel thin sandwiches and my different soups I slurp down in front of the T.V.

So, because of that, I report the different stuff. The noteworthy meals. And the meals for which I can provide recipes so you, too, can enjoy those meals.

Make sense?

I like the unique blogs who don’t do what everyone else does. I like the blogs that can make me laugh and make me think. Serious props to Ensley at Haughty By Nature and Ashley at Oh, Jones for really fulfilling that void in my blog world.

I may not be your typical “healthy living blog,” but I don’t wanna be. 😉

Off from my tangent. I spent Monday evening after the gym perusing The Fresh Market. This, my friends, is the lovechild of Farm Fresh and Trader Joe’s. And although the prices are a little obnoxious, I spent a good 45 minutes just exploring.

They’ve got barrels of nut mixes, ground coffees, CANDY galore, beautiful fresh flowers, a spot to GRIND YOUR OWN NUT BUTTER, and all the gourmet cheese and prepared meals you can dream of.

I splurged a little.

Can we laugh at the fact that I accidentally grabbed that stupid gourmet boursin Light cheese instead of goat cheese? They were right next to each other. I’m pretty annoyed with myself.

I’m going back for that nut butter grinder. I hope you know that.

BYOL

I’m very spoiled at my job. Since I work in a school, when the students are around, I get free lunch in the cafeteria. And trust me, this is no typical cafeteria. This is way better than my college caf. Way, way better. Any other Catawba grads thanking Chartwells for added pounds post graduation due to finally now eating real food?

Anyway, this week is Spring Break, so I’m responsible for my own lunch. This helped me plan a healthy lunch plan for myself, and I stopped at Walmart to grab some (inexpensive) fresh produce.

I skipped outta there 10 minutes later with some green peppers, mushrooms, spinach, fresh mangos (my favorite – on sale!), red grapes, and a big cucumber. Hello, fresh salad!

aaand I added some broccoli slaw to the mix

And another exciting new item, my Pier 1 All-Purpose knife. It chops veggies (or.. anything…) like a champ!

chop, chop, chop

After topping my veggies with some spinach, turkey slices, and fat free feta, I was ready to rock a delicious Tuesday lunch.

yuuum.

To dress this baby up, I added a dollop of fat free cottage cheese and the Olde Cape Cod Wasabi Soy Ginger dressing. The Greek Gourmet Roasted Red Pepper Hummus I bought at The Fresh Market made a little appearance too, and I must say, it’s the best I’ve ever had.

AND, I hope you swing on over and read Debbie Smith’s awesomehystericalhilarious recap of this weeks’ Bachelor episode. She makes my Tuesdays wither her wit. I guarantee you won’t regret it.

1 movesnmunchies March 9, 2011 at 4:33 pm

WOOHOO you got some good loot- i LOVE THOSE KNIVES! well ive never used them but iv seen them on Junior Masterchef Australia.. oh so cute!

2 Marg March 9, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Seeing your shopping list makes me regret not getting any hummus and wraps. I have some of that cheese and need to figure out how to use it.

3 Sable@SquatLikeALady March 9, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Oooh goat cheese melted over broccoli… YUM. Too bad I literally JUST got back from the store haha.

I also have 0 interest in posting everything I eat… first of all, way too complicated; also, my meals are very rarely photogenic, and I eat 6-7 times a day. No one wants to see that many pictures of unphotogenic food. For real.

4 cupcake dynamite March 9, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Jamie and I discussed the SAME thing when we started ours, we didn’t want to post the same breakfast every.single.day! (maybe you guys talked about this, LOL) 🙂 I never saw grind your own nut butter – omgggg!!!

-courtney

5 Kayla March 9, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Looks like some good haul! I really am dying to try the PB&CO Cinnamon Swirl!

6 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Your blog has the perfect balance of food, fun and life! Keep it up! 🙂

7 Parita @ myinnershakti March 9, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I agree…I love my healthy living/food blogs, but I am also starting to love the ones that talk about a lot of different things- like you said, make you laugh and think!

8 Sweet Tooth Runner March 9, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I LOVE your blog- it’s so GREAT and so darned FUNNY!! I don’t post every meal for the same reason either…it would be SO boring! PB+J sandwiches x 10000…! 😛

And I am so JEALOUS of your haul!! I’ve wanted to try Cinnamon Raisin Swirl for SO long!! They’d better start selling it here in the UK or else!! 😉

9 Rachel @ The Avid Appetite March 9, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Love that knife, it’s so pretty and fun! And I love your blog the way it is 🙂

10 fitchocoholic March 9, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I’d looove to make my own nut butter!! =D
There’s a Fresh Market close to where we lived in the US, but I never went….mostly because of the prices…..mom was afraid that I’d see a bunch of stuff that I wanted to try and that was expensive…which definitely would have happened. haha

11 hihorosie March 10, 2011 at 12:02 am

very cool knife! Love the color too. and hey, I like blogs that mix it up a bit too. I have a hard time myself staying on topic so it’s a little bit dis and little bit dat. 🙂 You have a fun and cute blog.

12 cupcake dynamite March 10, 2011 at 1:42 am

AHHHH CHARTWELLS, the horror!!! Stockton had the SAME. I should have known when you described its awfulness to me!

13 Haughty by Nature March 10, 2011 at 1:49 am

Thanks for the shout out girl! You rock.

14 Jenn @ Peas & Crayons March 10, 2011 at 1:56 am

I have the blue version of that knife! and omggg Fresh Market is my BFF! I’m going there tomorrow hopefullly! <3

your salad looks AH-MAZING!

15 Allison March 10, 2011 at 3:41 am

Im sooo with you om the blog stuff. If i were to blog my days meals everyone would be bored to tears. I pretty much write whatever comes to mind! Love your blog girl!

16 alex March 10, 2011 at 11:36 am

i hear ya on the blog stuff~~ write what you love!

17 Kace March 10, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Well I appreciate you not being a “normal”healthy living blogger, because I really don’t care what you eat each day (no offense! haha) I think you’re doing great, and I love reading!

18 Jacq March 12, 2011 at 12:08 am

Boursin is SO. MUCH. BETTER. in France. Just sayin’. Don’t you be hatin’ too hard, now. My fave cheese splurge-snack? President Brie with artisan fig or blueberry jam from World Market. I could eat an entire salad-plate-sized wheel in 1 sitting. Hypothetically, of course…not like that’s ever happened…