CAAAAAKKKEEEE!

March 28, 2011 · 36 comments

I get to play Wedding Planner Helper Lady/Paparazzi with my friend Lisa-Marie, and I love every second of it. Didja know my original career plan was to be a wedding planner? ;)

Her wedding is coming up FAST, so we got down and dirty on the planning this weekend!

“CAaAaAkKKKEEeeEEE”

Does this picture remind anyone else of one of my favorite posts on Hyperbole And a Half?

she is a genius.

Anyway, Lisa-Marie and I had a blasty blast trying and testing different kinds of cake, cake fillings, cake frostings, and cake icings. CAAAAKKKKEEEE!

The first place we visited was Bliss Bakery. I know, they went to be just like me. But they spelled it wrong. Their cake was yummy, and their design proposal sounded pretty great, but we were anxious to compare our experience to the next place: La Chocolatier.

This place kinda blew Bliss Bakery out of the water (which I hate to say, since Bliss had such a great name, and all…). From our first bites of cake, Lisa-Marie and I looked and each other, eyes wide, knowing¬†this would be the winner.

even the presentation blew us away.

At La Chocolatier, LM got to pick out her cake, filling, and frosting flavors pre-consultation. Let’s just say her choices didn’t disappoint… especially the dark chocolate almond and the red velvet!

The final cake design is perfect and goes with LM and Seth’s wedding theme and colors perfectly.

Let’s just say… I’ll probably be first in line for cake at this wedding. ;)

**Note: if anyone in the Virginia Beach area knows someone who needs an apartment in the Chesapeake area near Regent, Lisa-Marie is trying moving out of her apartment A.S.A.P. and looking for a sub-letter. Puh-lease spread the word and let me know if you’re interested!

And guess what else I finished this weekend that was cake-related?

Katie‘s bLyss Designs giveaway-winner shot glass!

Katie asked for her name and a cupcake, so I went with a theme that kinda matched her bloggity blog. This baby will be shipped out to her this week so she can enjoy lots of goodies from it ASAP. ;)

raspberry + chocolate = a winning combination

And to top off a productive weekend, I enjoyed a nice raspberry chocolate pudding smoothie.

How do you make it pudding-like? Add too much xanthan gum! ;)

To make this baby, add the following to the blender:

• 10 frozen raspberries
  • 1 scoop chocolate truffle protein powder (I use Nectar Whey Protein Isolate)
  • 5 ice cubes
  • 3 pinches xanthan gum (for thickening… use less if you want it less pudding-like)
  • a big fat squirt of sugar-free chocolate syrup
  • 1 packet of Splenda (if you like super sweet things like I do)

choco-raspberry-licious

And voila. A pretty chocolate raspberry protein pudding smoothie. Serve in a martini glass like me if you’re feeling saucy.

I’m looking forward to a week full of training (yep.. our next half marathon is less than a month away already!) with a running club and a friend movie night. Hoooo-rah!

Have you ever been wedding cake tasting? What was your all-time fave?

What’s your take on running clubs? I’m overly excited to try this one in Norfolk.

1 Kristina March 28, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Mmm…love cake tastings!!! Well…I didn’t like my actual cake tasting but I enjoyed my cupcake tasting, haha!
After all my wedding planning i’ve actually thought of becoming a wedding planner for a split second.

2 Sable@SquatLikeALady March 28, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Cake tastings are sooo much fun! :)

That shot glass is adorable. So. Cute. I am extremely jealous.

3 Hungry Dancer March 28, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Cake tasting sounds delicious and fun!! Awesome you got to do it with her!!!

4 Jess (In My Healthy Opinion) March 28, 2011 at 5:23 pm

My original career plan was as a wedding planner too!! For years that’s all I wanted…until I realized what it actually meant, haha. Looks like it was such a fun day — I miss wedding planning (my own) sometimes!

5 what katie's baking March 28, 2011 at 5:38 pm

what a terrrible job, that cake tasting. ;) haha!
that looks like so much fun and super delicious!
oh my gosh, i’m so excited to get that shot glass… you did such a great job!!! the anticipation is killing me.. hurry up, mail! :)
chocolate truffle protein powder??? yes, please!!!

6 Katelyn March 28, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Caaaakeee!! Girl we are eating a hugh mass cake after our beach run, I hope you’re okay with that..

7 Alyssa March 28, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Katelyn, I will never not be okay with cake.

8 Sophia @ Raven Waves March 28, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I’ve never been wedding cake tasting, but I’m sure it’s so much fun!! I can’t wait to go…one day! :)

9 movesnmunchies March 28, 2011 at 6:49 pm

aHH ive never been cake tasting but I already know i would be QUITE THE FAN!!
ps.. that shotglass is AMAZING- so beautiful.. you must have ONE steady hand girl!!!!!!

10 Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) March 28, 2011 at 7:13 pm

There is a running club in Norfolk? MMMgirl give me details because from your half-I think we run like legit the same pace. I’m not creepy I swear.

Those cakes look and sound so good. I would be the first, second, third and maybe fourth in line if that is socially acceptable.

11 Alyssa March 28, 2011 at 8:30 pm

lezzzdoiiiiittttt! :)

12 Jenn @ Peas & Crayons March 28, 2011 at 7:16 pm

What a fabulous assistant/photog you are =) I heart hyperbole and a half! caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake! my fav is the coupon one AND the fish taco one! ok actually I just love em all =)

13 Alyssa March 29, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I still have to read those two! I love The Party, Cake, and The Scariest Story. AHH, they’re all good!

14 Parita @ myinnershakti March 28, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I’ve never been to a cake tasting. :( Looks delish! And as far as running clubs are concerned, I don’t think I could ever join one because I’m more of an “on my own” type of runner AND I’m kinda slow! ;)

15 This Italian Family March 28, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Wanna know something tragic? Since I can’t have sugar, I couldn’t do the cake tastings. I mean, we went and Christopher tried all the different ones, but I couldn’t. Thankfully we finally found someone who would make a sugar free cake for us so I got to try that one and that’s the one we ended up choosing for the wedding (the top layer was sugar free for me and the rest of it was sugar full).

And, you did SUCH a good job on Katie’s glass! I just love it!

16 Alyssa March 29, 2011 at 1:13 pm

oh, NO! but.. how awesome that you could have a sugar-free version just for you? what better excuse do you need to eat the whole thing yourself? ;)

17 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) March 28, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Ooooh man a CAKE testing?! I would’ve paid the $600 plane ticket to come gatecrash that!!! :P

And I’d LOVE to join a running club!! Maybe I will soon….hmmmm…

And that shot glass is the BEST thing EVER!! You are SO talented!! :D

18 kimberley March 28, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Cake Testing? I am offically jealous. I may just go force of my bestfriends to get married to get to do fun things like this ;)

19 oatsandspice March 28, 2011 at 11:01 pm

It looks like you and your friend had so much fun tasting cake – I would LOVE to do that! YUM :)

20 Kelli@Baker on the Run March 28, 2011 at 11:42 pm

All this chocolately goodness is killing me! *sigh* Lent is going to be a really tough but fulfilling experience this year, I can already tell :)

21 mindrunningwild March 28, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Is it sad that I can’t wait until I get married so I can do this? What was the winner?

22 Alyssa March 29, 2011 at 12:37 am

the winner was the dark chocolate almond cake with cream cheese icing! it’s three-layered, so she also got red velvet and yellow/dutch chocolate swirl. :) yuuummm.

23 lindsay March 29, 2011 at 1:42 am

oh thats the best part of wedding planning. I loved tasting cakes! Our cake was white chocolate with apricot filling. TO DIE FOR!

24 Alyssa March 29, 2011 at 1:21 pm

apricot filling?! we didn’t try that! amazing.

25 Kace March 29, 2011 at 1:42 am

I wanted to be a wedding planner, too! But I felt itd be too stressful. A cake testing sounds like heaven; bet i’d go with red velvet though!

26 Alyssa March 29, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I can def see the stressful side of it. Also, I hated working nights and weekends and holidays!

27 Jenny March 29, 2011 at 3:17 am

Omg I have never been to a cake tasting but I think it would be very dangerous for me to go to one of those things lol :D

28 mickiruns March 29, 2011 at 4:23 am

OMG those all look amazing. Join the group, you won’t regret it!! I actually just did a run with one for the first time this past Saturday, and it went swimmingly!

29 Sara March 29, 2011 at 11:17 am

Wow, everything looks so good.
I worked for a wedding planner and did mostly day of coordination for 4 years. I loved it but you definitely need your own company if you want to make any money. Let me know if you need any help/tips. =)

30 Alyssa March 29, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Thanks, Sara!

31 cupcake dynamite March 29, 2011 at 11:21 am

OMG wedding cake tasting without actually having to get married yet? YES PLEASE. where do I get this job?!?!

-courtney

32 fashionfitnessfoodie March 29, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I tasted a bajillion wedding cakes on Sunday! Are we twins???

33 Alyssa March 29, 2011 at 1:41 pm

is our name Alyssa? TWIIIINNNNSSSS!

34 Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking March 29, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Oh this looks like it was a great job!! Tasting cake I would be the first in line! Really like your scarf!!

35 Shanna, like Banana March 30, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I went to multiple cake tastings for my wedding and loooooved it!

I became a wedding planner on the side of my engineering job. It’s totally possible :)