A Serious Breakthrough

March 25, 2011 · 34 comments

I had an amazing, fantastic, spectacular running breakthrough yesterday.

I’ll set the scene:

It was my first day doing anything cardiovascular since the Half Marathon on Sunday.
It was the first time I put on any close-toed shoes (my toesies were feelin’ fresh.. finally).

It wasn’t the first time I’ve gotten totally pumped for my post-work workout and forgotten a sports bra.

Womp, womp.

Allison even gave me a nice, guiltless “out” from hitting the gym altogether.

Love her!

But my boday was telling me it needed a nice sweat session. I had to do something. So I sucked it up, I put on my running clothes, and I sauntered into the gym feeling like “that girl.”

Ya know, the one with the pajama pants and hoodie. Or that one with the velour sweatpants.

Can I just strap a sign on my back saying, “Forgot real gym clothes. I swear I know I’m not supposed to exercise in this.”

Since no treadmills were open anyway, I snagged an arc trainer and bopped around on it for 10 minutes. Then… the machine reset.

I had no choice but to snag the (now) open treadmill.

I ran four miles, and it was one of the best feelings I’ve had in a long time.

No, I didn’t run a long distance. No, I didn’t run it fast. No, I didn’t have a magazine or a T.V. in front of me. Yes, my muscles were still sore from the half marathon, and yes, I needed a sports bra.

Somehow, none of it mattered. I used to obsess over my runs. If my playlist wasn’t perfect, it wasn’t going to be okay. If my left shoe wasn’t tight enough, it would run my run. If I ate the wrong thing, I’d totally have to stop. None of this bothers me anymore. The old me would have said there was no. way. I’d run without all my real gym clothes.

At the risk of sounding cliche, I was just running. And I had this overwhelming happiness I don’t think I’ve ever really felt.

I love running.

I love the way it makes me feel, I love the good things it does for my body, and I love putting myself under pressure to see what it can do.

Because I’ve been working toward a goal for so long with my running, I don’t think I’ve had the chance to realize how much I just love the feeling of running.

And it is this that brings me to my conclusion that I will most definitely be running my first full marathon in the Shamrock Marathon 2012.

I want to do one before I die, and what better time than now? I’ve done three half marathons. I need a new goal. And I’d love to return to the Shamrock knowing I already “rocked” half of what I’m about to do.

And the best part? Anastasia’s onboard, too. 😉

thank you for being a crazy person with me.

Don’t be afraid to call me crazy. I used to think everyone I know who said they “love” running were crazy, too. 😉

1 julie March 25, 2011 at 2:15 pm

“and yes, i needed a sports bra.”

bahahhahahahaahhhh

2 Jess March 25, 2011 at 2:24 pm

That’s awesome, congrats!

3 Karla March 25, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Alyssa- I love love LOVE this post! Makes me so happy to see you so happy with where you’re at with running. Thats the running high at its finest. I’m on board for my first full in 2012 too just haven’t decided which one yet, I’m on the hunt! =)
& we’ve all been “that girl” at one point in time!

4 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 25, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I totally envy you for falling in love with running! That’s great! I don’t think you’re crazy in the slightest 🙂 Have a great weekend!

5 Kace March 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Man I really hope I get to that love place soon. So far I only love the way I feel when I’m done, which is essentially a lack of guilt.

6 Dad March 25, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Cool post. Chloe will love running with you when she grows a little more.
And get some help with the toes!
XOXO

7 This Italian Family March 25, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Aww, I love love love that you love running so much. Reading this post made me so happy. 🙂

8 Sophia @ Raven Waves March 25, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Yay, congratulations on your decision! That’s so awesome! 🙂

9 Sara March 25, 2011 at 3:40 pm

awe, I feel the same way. Running is my passion. I’m glad you had such a great run!

10 mickiruns March 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Love this post!! YAY on making your decision!! Have an amazing weekend, lady!

11 cupcake dynamite March 25, 2011 at 3:59 pm

YAYYY!!! Run the full, you rock it girl! I’m sad we won’t do the half together next year but I think you should DEF go for the full! Why the hell not!?

12 Katelyn March 25, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Love you. I am so excited for our future running date, I hate it when I forget a sports bra but hey, now when we go running on zee beach we can wear shirts that say “We remembered our sports bras. Did you?” 🙂

13 Sable@SquatLikeALady March 25, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Oh my Godddd I am SO EXCITED FOR YOU! 🙂 What a great goal! You are totally gonna rock it!! I’m so so so glad you’ve found something you love so much too! There’s so much positivity and joy in this post, you’re bringing MY mood up too 🙂 <3

14 Danielle March 25, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I miss those type of runs when everythign just seems so perfect. So glad you had a great run!

Everyone says I’m crazy for saying that I love running. I like to think they’re jealous because they don’t. : )

15 Katy (The Singing Runner) March 25, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Awww!!! YAY! 🙂 I love this! 😀

16 Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) March 25, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Oh girl, I totally understand. I always feel like I’m that girl in the gym-like people are judging me for something. I honestly used to judge people so much that came into the gym but I have kind of given that up and said-well maybe they are having a day like me. Maybe…

17 Jenny March 25, 2011 at 8:14 pm

It’s so nice to have those moments when you are in the zone and have a passion for something. So happy you had a fantastic run 🙂

18 movesnmunchies March 25, 2011 at 8:29 pm

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!! i used to be the same too!! everything had to be perfect for a run. . i made it SUCH a big deal when in fact.. i was only running!!! I LOVE RUNNING TOO- boo that im injured- its killing ME
AHHH a marathon!!! GIRL THAT IS SHWEET!! you better still have your blog so you can tell us about it 😀

19 Maryann (The Balanced Bean) March 25, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Congrats on making that decision! I am in the same boat, I want to do a marathon and know I cant but just need to commit. Ugh nothing worse than getting to the gym and realizing you forgot your gear. Kudos for doing a workout anyways, and most importantly for just enjoying it and not worrying about the #s. LOVE it!

20 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) March 25, 2011 at 9:05 pm

AAAH sometimes I think we are secretly TWINS!! I sometimes focus WAY too much on my training and on hitting times, and not on how much I just LOVE running!!

And YAAAAAAY for the marathon news!! So exciting!! I’m thinking of possibly running one next year too…or at the very least, the year after that!! Can’t wait to read all about it!! 😀

21 Ma Ma Megan March 25, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Congrats on your decision!
I love running too! except, I’m slow and I’m just barely beginning. ha. but I love the feeling once I get going! and it makes me feel AWESOME every time I improve!

22 Lauren March 25, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Awesome, awesome, awesome! I can’t wait to get to the place where I LOVE running. I know someday it will happen! 🙂

23 Gillian March 26, 2011 at 3:03 am

Best part is- I bet no one judged you or even noticed- they were probably just impressed with the beautiful girl kickin ass at her workout!

24 Parita @ myinnershakti March 26, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Yay! I’m excited for you! Running is awesome – don’t let anyone tell you otherwise! 🙂

25 fashionfitnessfoodie March 26, 2011 at 2:01 pm

You are ah.maze.ing. i have dreams of running a full…but need to work on the half part first! I was just checking out your etsy shop – Do you think you could make a wine glass that says “I do” with a diamond ring next to it and then have it be like … want another glass and have polka dots around it?? Pink (not light and not hot – ha i’m picky), purple (eggplant and lilac) and silver?

26 Freckled Foodie March 29, 2011 at 6:31 pm

way to go, girl! inspirational, for sure! 🙂
xo.

27 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 29, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Congrats on your marathon decision!

I really *wish* I loved to run. In the summer when the weather is nice and my dog is cooperative, I like running… but usually I dread the idea of it and only like the way I feel after. I do love a good spin class though.

28 happytalesblog March 30, 2011 at 3:14 am

I completely feel you!! I used to think running was punishment back in HS during tennis practice… and now i looooooooove it! Love it love it LOVE it!!!

Oh, and I also love the shoutout,thank you for it! squeeeee!!!