Calling All Camera Experts!

February 26, 2011 · 9 comments

I need your help. Help!

one of the first pictures taken with my Nikon.. rooooad trip!

As most of you know, my new Nikon Cool Pix went missing before Christmas. As my baby still hasn’t shown up, I’m in the market for a replacement.

I’d LOVE to get a fancy shmancy DSLR, but honestly, it’s a little unrealistic for the typical places I use my camera. Somehow, I doubt I’ll look cute in my skinny jeans, pumps, little clutch, aaaand a huge camera.

(I’ve already started next year’s Christmas list, and a DSLR is at the very top. ;))

So, I’d like to get a nice little inexpensive baby camera that will still take some great pictures. I’m pretty sure I was completely happy with my Nikon, and it’s a little marked down now, but there are some others of comparable price. Does anyone know much about the following?

Nikon CoolPix s3000 (my old baby) – $109

Sony Cybershot W310 -$99

Kodak EasyShare
C195 (14 megapixels instead of 12!) -$99

FujiFilm FinePix (5x zoom instead of 4x, shock/waterproof) -$85 on ebay!

I’m leaning towards my old Nikon, just beacuase I loved the pictures it took. BUT the shockproof camera looks great… and will the Kodak’s 14 megapixels be more impressive than the 12 megapixels of the Nikon?

Obviously, I’m not a pro. So that’s where you guys come in. Hit me with that advice! Please and thank you. ;)

1 myhighonlife February 26, 2011 at 10:36 pm

LOVING the new site/lay-out! …Serves as a reminder that I gotta play around with mine and revamp it. I have a nice small camera but its rather expensive (Canon PowerShot SD1400) But I used to have the Nikon & loved it as well :)

2 Kayla February 27, 2011 at 12:34 am

I have a CanonPowershot SX120 IS and I really really like it. It takes great photos and has great zoom.

I really want a DSLR too! hehehe, but they’re SOOO out of my price range. My canon is doing great for me right now, though! maybe somday….

good luck on your hunt for a new camera!

3 Erin Kidd February 27, 2011 at 1:11 am

Zandi says you should always go with Nikon

4 Kara February 27, 2011 at 2:36 am

I have a Canon Powershot SD1200 IS and I LOVE it. It’s so easy to use and it comes in fun colors (a must for me :P)

5 tknologlvr February 27, 2011 at 2:59 am

Our son has the Nikon and no, 14 megapixels is really not better than 12 – unless you are gonna blow up the pics the size of a wall! Second place is the Sony.

6 oatsandspice February 27, 2011 at 3:37 am

I would go with a canon over a sony, but that is just my opinion – I have had 2 canons and 1 sony (which was the most expensive) – and the quality of pictures form the canon is 100 times better!

7 Kevin Shain February 27, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I have the Canon PowerShot XS120 IS, took great pictures of a hike last summer, but it is a little bulky. Also have a Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS, which is nice and small and takes decent pics.

8 Parita @ myinnershakti February 28, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Hi Alyssa! I just found your blog and am loving it! I just bought a new camera, Canon SD1300, and really like it. I am still trying to figure out how to get some “creative” pictures out of it, but it’s coming along! Look forward to reading more!

9 Marg March 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I like Canon for point and shoots, and I’m a loyal Nikon DSLR shooter. Refurbished cameras are worth looking into too if it’s from a good site (Canon and Nikon sell refurbished on their sites). My boyfriend has a refurbished waterproof Olympus and it’s worked great even in the water. And don’t worry about the MP either.